Reading novels

Anyone into reading novels? What type? Do you find that’s it’s a form of mediation?

5 Likes

i like to read hp Lovecraft, as of late (SUPRISE SUPRISE THE CTHULHU LOVING NAGATHULHU READS LOVECRAFT Rolls eyes) it seems teach one to listen to their inner voice, induce mental travel, visualization, and of course meditation. i like it.

7 Likes

For me, sci-fi novels. I start with classic authors like Issac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, George Orwell and Adolus Huxley etc.

6 Likes

I was reading collection of short stories by DH Lawrence.

3 Likes

Sure, I read novels from time to time. Not as much as I used to. Right now, I’m reading “Firewalk” by Chris Roberson, the co-creator of iZombie. Good book.

And no, it’s not meditation for me. It’s simply relaxing and I enjoy stories in all forms.

5 Likes

Yes, I do think it’s similar to meditation. Trains you to stay focused on one thing.

I like anything fantasy, sci-fi or horror. Speaking of which, I need to get caught up on the latest Necroscope books, which is a mix of all three of those.

4 Likes

I am a scifi nutjob, and my main fiction intake is through audiobooks at work. I consider it an escape from reality, and yes, it becomes very trance-like, and has actually honed my telepathic and empathic skills very well. Its also why i hold the idea that “everything exists, even if it’s only neurochemical reactions in someone’s head, it still EXISTS”

6 Likes

I read just about anything and everything but I do love a good murder mystery.

Something about curling up in winter nights with some hot cocoa and a good Agatha Christie book. It takes you away from everything around you :smile:

3 Likes

Fiction, unlike reality, has to make sense… therefore it’s a nice break from the madness of the week! :smiley:

4 Likes

I love Lovecraft’s work but sadly I’ve read it all. I just finished “The King in Yellow” by Robert W. Chambers and it didn’t disappoint. I like to read older books. The language and vocabulary is like art to me.

I’m reading a Book called ‘All the Birds in the Sky’ the first chapter having a ‘parliamentary of birds got me.’ lol

One of the top fantasy books of the year last year.

Told myself that I am going to read 10 fantasy novels and 10 sci-fi novels before I write my next novel. Any recommendations?

1 Like

Anyone into Storm Constantine?

I have his works but I find it tiresome to read. He is a brilliant writer but his style is so foreign to me, it takes all my concentration to make it through a chapter. I know its not like that for everyone, but for me at least, his style makes me work, and that isn’t my goal for reading fiction.

1 Like

The last novel I sat down and read was the new Anne Rice Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis novel.

2 Likes

Anything dystopian, fantasy or memoir-like, I’ll read. Reading of any sort can be meditative.

1 Like

i read anything. Novels about anything.

ive been caught reading the dictionary before.

once my mom was gonna put me on restriction. guess what my restriction was?.
yep, i wasnt allowed to read any books. she actually locked my books in a barn. :cry:

3 Likes

I was the same way growing up. My momma encouraged me to read though. She never would lock books away!

1 Like

you were lucky then. that was the only thing she could hurt me with. i was already a teen with no life. nothing else to take so she took that too.

Did you like it?

1 Like

Who’s read Pandora by Anne Rice and what did you think of it?