What does this mean?

A friend of mine wanted me to do a ritual for protection. Typically when I do magick for others, I use Raymond Buckland’s candle magic book. For I myself, I like to experiment. Anyway, the ritual required that I stay until the candles burnt out. AND THEY WERE DIE HARDS! Even when the candles themselves melted into lumps of wax, the wicks continued to burn. Eventually, 5 went out. leaving four still going. I had to blow them out. Does this mean anything? Did the spell work?

Generally, no, it doesn’t mean anything beyond the fact that wicks don’t necessarily all burn at the same rate. However, since you were doing a specific candle ritual from Buckland’s book, does the author say anything about the symbolism of a candle not burning out?

It is usually advised not to blow out candles when doing a candle burning ritual, as it is believed you scatter the energy of the spell when you do, so it is often recommended that you snuff or pinch the flame out with your fingers instead, and relight it at a later time to complete its burn.

3 Likes

Actually, no. He doesn’t provide that information. And my snuffing tool wouldn’t snuff them out.

From a folk magic or perhaps even hoodoo perspective, you might consider the candles as representing the forces you are opposing.

To have them refuse to go out would indicate they are targets or forces unwilling to let go of what they are doing.

Many who would read it this way, would do a second working if not multiple workings at this point. If you know they are strong from reading it this way, you might want to remove their protection, or add protection magic for your friend that would reflect their attacks, as well as another working for the same purpose to see if any of your other work has had an affect on the forces that wouldn’t give up their cause.

I don’t know the author you speak of, so I can’t say if this would fit, but I have adopted a similar way of looking at my candles and flames- they might represent my targets or the forces aiding me and using the energy I imbued within the candle and only my personal ability to discern which, combined with my original intentions can really provide any insight to how or why my candles might burn a different way.

I try to always use the same types of candles and buy them in lots, so that I can have a good idea of how they should burn, without any energetic or spiritual influence.

So I don’t just buy candles because they look cool for my rituals, I stick with real cheap brands that are mass produced so that I can be aware of the quality and potential burn.

Without a control candle burned separately, it’s hard to discern if it’s just the candle or maybe spiritual/ energetic.

You’ll have to trust your instincts in the long run or do some divination to see if anything stands in the way of this protection ritual- imop.

There is some information scattered throughout google, mostly on hoodoo sites if I recall correctly, about what possible flame weirdness can mean, and I read dozens of sources between those and trying to understand possibly was left over signs- I ended up deciding to trust what I feel when it comes to these things.

The book defines the following.

1. The basic things that the candle colors represent. In this case red and white. I guess white represents comfort and red represents protection.

2. The way the candles are positioned on the altar. In this case, I’ve noticed it was a cross. I found this strange because the book has an “Old Religion” section and a “Christian” section. There are versions of each ritual in each section, and I specifically use the Old Religion section.

3. The instructions as to how to the ritual is to be done. This includes in what order candles are lit, and what words are spoken. And once again, I’m using the Old Religion section, but the instructions involve a poem where each paragraph says “I drink merrily and leave my fate to God.” I understand that to some people, the idea of “Putting one’s problems into God’s hands” is comforting. But, no offense, if I felt that way, I think I’d be doing this sort of thing. Also, typically the instructions tell me to move the candles in a certain direction and repeat on consecutive nights till the candles have reached a certain point. This was the first time the instructions told me to wait until the candles have melted and blew out. I don’t plan on performing it again given how it destroyed my altar mat and candle holders.

But no, it doesn’t define the specific symbolism, or what exactly the ritual is meant to do. It just says “Evil, to Protect Against”. It doesn’t say what kind of evil this is, whether it be disease, injury, poverty, slander, physical violence, sexual violence, abuse, stalking, manipulation, mental illness, or malevolent spirits. It doesn’t say how you’re protecting someone. And again, there are clearly Christian elements.

During the innate ritual itself, I admit to feeling some sense of power. Which is unusual when I’ve used the book in previous rituals. Typically, when I do, I feel kind of bored. A sort of “been there done that” type of feeling. But I use it specifically as sort of like training wheels, something I need to master (or at least be consistent with because I procrastinate) before I move on. Last night, I had music playing on Spotify. I was playing power metal music, specifically songs that create the image of valiant knights riding to battle. So, I felt something.

But again, it went far longer than it needed to, and destroyed not only the altar mat, but the candle holders. The closest metaphysical store is in the city, and has odd hours. I prefer to buy in store, but I’m considering online. I’m now looking for candle holders that capture wax. If anyone can post a link on this thread, that would be great.

I like to use this brand of candles.

I am currently searching for an alternative ritual to use. However, it’s tough considering my friend won’t specify what she’s going through.

1 Like

I actually use one of these for my main candle burning platform.

https://smile.amazon.com/Galvanized-Charger-13-inch-Classic-Dinnerware/dp/B082GN8N4L/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=EOQD51C386EX&keywords=galvanized+plate&qid=1658979331&sprefix=galvanized+playe%2Caps%2C92&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyUTE3SEQ4M1E3MzhBJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzQ0NDIwMTdDQUdJMDRJTk9ORSZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTkyMDc3MVVCQ0Q3SEs4TllYOCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Mines bigger than this, and came from the dollar general. It was something like five bucks, but because it’s shaped like a plate, the center is lower enough from the outside edges, that even when I’m doing big rituals I don’t have any issues.

I’ll have to go check my necromantic journal fast, but I think I’ve got a picture there with it all lit up with candles lol.

Edit yeah, in this post I have a few pictures:

As far as the rest goes, I can see what you mean- it doesn’t seem like the author intended for you to discern the specifics of the burn in this case, and doesn’t seem to give you much to discern what your actually trying to accomplish here.

It would probably be easier if you knew what was going on, but since you don’t it’s almost as if a general overall protection is probably the best you could hope for anyways.

You could send Luna to aid her with negative energy and emotions as well, or ask her to help shield your friend against whatever the need is. Or really any protective entity, would probably better be able to discern her needs than us without more information.

She expressed an interest in this stuff when we met. But because I’m very excited about my craft and love sharing it, I couldn’t help but to tell her as much as I could. I remember showing her the Orishas once. Admittedly, this was because she’s black. But in my defense, I find that a lot of people who get into the craft are trying to rediscover their spiritual ancestral roots. I remember I first took an interest in Norse Paganism. I still feel that pull. As I told her about the Orishas, she told me I’m awakening something in her. I even showed her Dancehall music (something I’ve grown to love and like to share with others). Her eyes lit up when I told her about Oshun, to who I admittedly have an affinity for myself.

Frankly, I’d rather she take the time to learn her own craft and deal with this herself. There are reasons I don’t like to do magick for others. I do it occasionally for family members. But only sparingly and only if they’re situation affects my own. My dad is trying to make this solar panel piece for some business. I do rituals to help him (admittedly to no perceivable success), but I don’t know what I’m supposed to envision or what I’m specifically trying to make happen. Once again, I prefer to do magick for myself and only myself. Or at least to my own ends. But my interests are affected by other people’s situation, so I try to help. However, when I don’t know their situation, or understand it, I can’t help them.

Also, if anyone cares, this is Dancehall. One of my old favorites.
Sean Paul - Ever Blazin’ (Official Video) - YouTube

2 Likes