That Moment When 7: Just Tears in the Rain

tmw
home office enforcement for all coworkers until the end of March. Oh, I guess I won’t have to travel to the HQ for a while, then.

3 Likes

Yeah, they closed down several schools, kindergärten and universities here today, too. The hospitals and retirement homes around here won’t accept visitors anymore, either and the police station nearby is closed for visitors

3 Likes

I also received several mails from crematories and cemeteries in my area about new do’s and dont’s in daily contact with their staff. I am fairly sure that they will cancel some of the funerals I’ve already booked, the next days to come. I know who will be busy during summertime.

3 Likes

tenor

5 Likes

Benefits of being a prepper/survivalist type: no need to go to shops and get myself infected now, as I already have food, water and other necessities for a few months… though now that I think of it, I should probably get snack items and
more cat food while the number of infected is somewhat low here. :thinking:

3 Likes

I got a decent supply overall myself. Fuel is more of the main need on my end as everything in my home is electric, which would make cooking difficult if the power goes out. Good thing I built a fire pit and turbo stove last summer. But I won’t say no to more food and water

2 Likes

I got cat food yesterday, no one is infected in state yet, although my husband might go into quarantine (he is away right now).

2 Likes

This is from Italy, and it is NOT political, it’s just observations:

1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.

2/ First, Lumbardy [sic] is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.

I know people from there and this is very accurate, by the way.

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed.

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK.

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern:

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick
2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2.
4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly.

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.

Source: Thread by @jasonvanschoor: From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy: 1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a qu… (my emphasis, since people are currently playing demographic “I’m alright jack” - only the Chinese, only the elderly, only such-and-such… :roll_eyes:)

My government, and large parts of the UK media, is here right now:

1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick

This is how cases have escalated for us, this is from the 11th:

(Edit to update, the official govt stats come out here at 2pm daily, and we now have 798 cases and 10 dead in the UK, that is nearly a four-fold increase in cases in just 6 days.)

This kills 10 to 30 times more people than flu, I will avoid any political comment and just say that the British PM stated yesterday in a briefing that people WILL lose family members before their time to this illness, this year, and he’s not… let’s just say not reacting with dramatic measures yet, so cannot and should not be accused of fuelling panic.

Other coverage from the 10th:

Italian hospitals are so ‘overwhelmed’ by coronavirus that strokes are going untreated and elderly patients are not even being assessed, a doctor at the centre of the crisis has said - while another medic said people in the UK and US should be panicking more.

Doctors in Italy have been forced into life-or-death decisions over who should receive intensive care, with virus cases piling up around the country.

One Italian medic warned that the public may be underestimating the ‘epidemiological disaster’ because of warnings not to panic.

Daniele Macchini said he ‘understands the need not to panic’ but said he ‘shuddered’ because the ‘message of the danger of what is happening does not reach people’.

‘The war has literally exploded and battles are uninterrupted day and night,’ Daniele Macchini said in a lengthy Facebook post.

'Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 hospitalisations per day all for the same reason.

…‘It is not your fault, I know, but of those who put it in your head that you are exaggerating - and even this testimony may seem just an exaggeration for those who are far from the epidemic, but please, listen to us - try to leave the house only to indispensable things.’

Source: 'Overwhelmed' Italian hospitals are running at '200 per cent capacity' | Daily Mail Online

• Pro-tip from my “law of attraction” studies: if reading about this is difficult for you, download an add-on that blocks IMAGES, all news media always use the most striking imagery, which creates an emotional response, but you can get facts and info without exposing yourself to this by finding something to temporarily block images on your browser/device. :wink:

Stay safe folks. :+1:

4 Likes

Got a good old fashioned fire cooking stove myself. As well as a a few solar panels to keep at least some electronics functional. If the power went out, so would much of the variety in my diet though. (frozen berries, veggies, meats) :sweat:

3 Likes

It was a very very strange moment when I said goodbye to the parents and children today…

7 Likes

That would definitely suck.

2 Likes

I can kinda relate. Oldest just left for work at her fast food job. Felt the need to run down basic sanitation lecture and have her relay our “get back home” plan. Kinda weird now even though the plan has been discussed over and over again for a couple years now. Out of the ten cases found in the last 24 hours, three are in the county north of us, less than a 15 minute drive away.

3 Likes

And you guys will stay at home, too? There is probably no other way but I can imagine that they will have to come up with an emergency plan for at least the parents who are working in the medic area somehow. They can’t look after their children while they have to be present at work to save other peoples lifes, I guess…

I will have to find a way to extend the local burial deadlines for 14 graveyards (at least for cremations) or else we will have burials without family members being around. I can’t do that to them.

5 Likes

Yes there is. I had a very stressful day at work today. We had to check the jobs of every family and see who needs an emergency group.
And as expected, me and my coworkers have to come to work on Monday and do some other stuff. Until we know more.

2 Likes

That sucks, but maybe there will be a plan until then. Our state just handed out a new workaround for its current pandemic plan over night and it will at least cover peoples jobs who are confined to quarantine without being actually sick = the employer will receive a compensation from our state for that time. They work with an incredibly fast pace atm.

Yeah, good luck. :roll_of_toilet_paper:

2 Likes

Our kitchen staff gave us everything they couldn’t leave there, so at least I got some vegetables already.

5 Likes

They’re talking about livestreaming the funeral in some locations, then planning to have a ceremony later. :thinking:

Hyde Park was mentioned as a possible mass mortuary location in London and if they use parks for this, there and/or elsewhere, I guess there will be a memorial raised in those later, because they’d be cremating the bodies probably in batches, and not returning individual ashes.

There’ll probably be like an annual day of remembrance or something, especially if things get so overwhelmed that precise day and time of death isn’t recorded. The same as Memorial Day/Remembrance Sunday, where people do the whole thing for the war dead, rather than on the actual days their family members died.

Anyone who lives alone and escalates fast, or has co-morbidities and can’t get admitted, will only be found dead when they body begins to decay, so there won’t be an official time of deathj for those people either.

Wipe the stuff with disinfectant before opening it.

Interesting info about vaping:

Older research also showed propylene glycol effective on flu virus:

… Dr. Robertson placed groups of mice in a chamber and sprayed its air first with propylene glycol, then with influenza virus. All the mice lived. Then he sprayed the chamber with virus alone. All the mice died.

Archive: https://web.archive.org/web/20090503064630/http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,932876,00.html

Usual disclaimers about not being medical advice, just interesting info for people to research further, should they choose to.

3 Likes

Keep the peels and store in the freezer. You can make a broth of them to add an extra veggie flavor to a dish later on. Might help lift spirits a bit, as well as a bar of chocolate from your trip to the store. Supplies are important, but keeping moral during a rough time is just as important.

5 Likes

I already have the usual stuff at home, like flour, pasta, potatoes etc etc. Just gonna buy some meat to put in the freezer, some bread, coffee, milk, all that stuff.
And toilet paper ofc.

4 Likes

Just read this as " normally I eat the kindergarteners."

5 Likes