So I walked into an occult shop yesterday

Maybe you just learn fast like I did.

3 Likes

I mean I’m not exactly moving slow but she shouldn’t be impressed by my knowing basic correspondences either.

5 Likes

Eh, true…

But at the same time, a lot of people don’t know correspondences. Heck, I sometimes forget correspondences for things.

3 Likes

I mean that’s fair. It doesn’t necessarily mean she isn’t knowledgeable…it could also just be that she doesn’t get many customers that are at all.

3 Likes

I love my local dollar store too. I would try my local Asian store ass well. I found some whole herbs in the Mexican stores.

4 Likes

um…nevermind

Oh and the last shop I visited, one of the workers boasted how their stones range from $5 to $30k. Beat that @Yaggsir!

3 Likes

Have them get those rocks tested, most likely theyre not even worth a dollar. Yes it may say Lapis Lazuli, but its not 100% Lapis, its a compound that was just colored blue. Most of those occultic shops are frauds trying to score big bucks on worthless items

4 Likes

Damn charlatans. We ought to–well no, nvm. I’m not gonna encourage arson or any other criminal activuties.

2 Likes

Oh shit, correspondences. Well magicians don’t judge each other’s skillz, but my knowledge of correspondences is crap. I learn as I go along. Got a book of correspondences if I need some keys.

1 Like

Our local ‘occult shop’ was out of frankincense for over a year, but was selling strawberry flavored incense (and even cannabis scented incense WTF?) before it closed.

5 Likes

Wow frankincense is kinda key, even for white magic. Incense sticks are gross.

1 Like

By the way, OP, try hobby lobby if you want a good journal. I just got this there.

8 Likes

Oh i love it. The cover looks like a sun but it also reminds me of a bunch humans standing on and grounded to the earth. Very Solar and Earthy.

Looks awesome. Thank you.

4 Likes

The ONLY “occult” store in my city is a New Age mess… tons of stones and crystals, racks of stick incense, and a small shelf for powdered incense. One rack of books… mainly Wicca oriented. I go there strictly for the incense and candles.

2 Likes

I get nearly everything online or in nature these days…Only acceptable occult shop I have visited was in London. Crystals are just the same in new age stores, though, so I sometimes buy those there…Overprized…

4 Likes

I’ve been seriously thinking about opening one eventually.

6 Likes

Reading this post makes me deeply grateful for the first occult shop I ever visited - Panpipes, in Hollywood. Eclectic selection of everything from divination tools to books from all paths (Wicca, Voodoo, Satanism, and more) to unusual ingredients (brick dust), and an onsite station where the owner can custom blend an oil or incense (or fix a candle). I tend to get my candles elsewhere (I can only burn soy or palm wax due to lung problems), but I try to get whatever else I need from Panpipes.

(The store moved recently, but the old location looked, funnily enough, like a picture-perfect Hollywood version of an occult shop that’s been around forever. It’s kind of too bad the occult-shop scenes from “The Craft” weren’t shot there, especially since Fairuza Balk owned Panpipes for a while.)

2 Likes

I had an occult shop a few years ago. I had lots of flashy junk for the looky loos. But I mixed a few serious things in prominently to get the attention of the serious practitioners. They got to go behind the curtain. :joy::joy: Edit: I sold LOTS of showy crap. That’s what kept the doors open so real practitioners could get what they needed.

4 Likes

You do what you have to do to keep going. But mad respect for carrying the good stuff! :crystal_ball:

2 Likes

I love all you guys with the cool looking alters and expensive tools. My stuff is so lame looking and mundane, composition notebook from the grocery store for a magical journal, those regular old 10 pack clear ballpoint pens for writing, old flashlight instead of candles, aluminum foil instead of a black mirror, a piece of rope instead of cool looking universal circle, piece of paper and symbols drawn in pencil, instead of fancy metal seals.
I used to be one of those people who worried about things like my tools not being good enough, or worse yet spirits not existing. Well, I don’t think that way anymore. And I credit this site with really being able to improve my practice

2 Likes