Since using White Sage and Palo Santo are now prohibited here is your alternative

Some time ago I had made a post about Palo Santo being a great spiritual cleansing smoke. Unfortunately most of you now find yourself wondering what to use as a cleansing and consecrating smoke. Behold! I give you the proper word to be used to describe the ancient tradition of ritual cleansing and consecration by smoke used by the ancient Celtic peoples. Saining which comes from the Gaelic word Seun (meaning charm, bless, consecrate, for spiritual protection etc) is what has come to replace the word which you can no longer use.
As for the dried plant which has been tradition since ancient times, it’s commonly refered to as Juniper. It’s Gaelic name is Iubhar-Beinne, literally meaning Mountain Yew*
To the Druids it was called Iodhadh, and it represents death and rebirth, new beginnings, clean slates and fresh starts making it the ideal cleansing herb to use for all your ritual needs. It’s Ogham is shown below.

Polish_20210705_175135524
What the actual plant looks like and it’s dried forms
shown in the photos below.

I hope this has been an enlightenment and entertainment for you. If you happen to still have some of the other stuff before this prohibition hit, since you are not permitted to consider it sacred or use it in ritual that sort of reduces it to just a plant so simply throw it out or wipe your ass with it, use it as a door stop or whatever you want to do. Enjoy!

5 Likes

Wait…, what Palo Santo is prohibited? in what context do you mean that? prohibited to import/export? also which countries laws are you referring to? As far I know they still import it in my country

2 Likes

It’s only prohibited for some people. If it’s not prohibited for you then don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Personally I prefer wormwood and mugwort for this purpose.

Not sure, I’m in New Jersey US and I’m not aware of this - Pala Santo can mean several woods and plants burnt in the US for incense, and some of them are endangered species, so maybe it’s to do with that. But I never buy it so I didn’t notice if it left the shelves.

Bulnesia Sarmientoi (also known as Verawood) and Guaiacum (or Guaiac). are listed as endangered species.
The most common type of “Palo Santo” - Bursera Graveolens - is not listed as endangered.

2 Likes

They are not prohibited.

Interesting, must explain why gin (with juniper botanicals) always “cleanses” my stomach after a long night out🤢

1 Like