Shamanism

Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew any books or writers that write about Shamanism? I have been looking into this path for with little to no avail.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time!

3 Likes

There are many books available. The classic book on the subject is Way of the Shaman by Michael Harner.

2 Likes

[quote=“DemonicGod94, post:1, topic:3957”]Hello Everyone!

I was wondering if anyone knew any books or writers that write about Shamanism? I have been looking into this path for with little to no avail.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time![/quote]
Any of Carlos Castaneda’s books are good.

1 Like

How about Shamanism for the Laft Hand Path?

2 Likes

Do you want modern core shamanism or traditional indigenous shamanism? I only know about the former, but I know quite a lot about it because I trained comprehensively and then worked with the methods for a few years doing healing, and I think it’s an excellent technique that will back up any other magickal endeavours you do.

If you want to understand the structure of a basic core shamanic journey, and perhaps undertake it for yourself, this page is as good as any for teaching you - I’ve done lots of residential trainings with really good teachers, and can’t fault it:

http://www.corpshaman.com/exercises.asp

If I can offer some practical tips, read that entire exercise through once, taking any notes you need, then try a journey to get your own animal helper as described there, and he (or she) will then be a helper to you for everything else when you’re using that method for a while.

Core shamanism (as opposed to traditional types, which may involve ancestral spirits and gods, and therefore pre-existing moral strictures) can be used along a Left-Hand Path of attempting to attain personal godhood, can also be used for baneful workings (traditional shamanism is often used that way) because it’s a technique, not a philosophy, so there’s not really a need for that, though you may end up working with different types of spirits.

It delivers back what you bring to it, though a little common sense and humility when interacting with spirits in their realm is sometimes necessary, which differentiates it from trad. grimoire magick.

But there’s nothing innately fluffy or self-negating about it, in fact you can do some fucking nasty stuff using the techniques of healing, adapted to screw someone up.

3 Likes

Dark shamanism is when one works with middle and lower world spirits, which includes most of your demons, daemons, elementals, djinn, the old Gods of the lower worlds, the dead, and the preditors, parasites, monsters, and beasts. There is also light shamans who only work the upper world. Some work all three, depends on tradition. Shamanic path work doesn’t really recognise “good” or “evil”, but more “wise/desirable/harmony” and “selfish/shortsighted/destructive”. It really a difference between short term and long term perspectives. Harmony is better for living a good life, raising a family, general wealth and lasting powers. Short term is powerful, but chaotic and usually carries side effects, which can range from the insignificant to the devistating depending on how disruptive the work was. Many tradition will use both depending on circumstances where harmony is promoted day to day, but when desired or needed chaotic change will be done. Other traditions separate the two practices into shamas and witches/sorcerers. Each serves its place, and there isn’t the severe judgement unless someone makes themselves a major nuisance.

4 Likes

I just found one recently of the name ‘Spirit Walking: A Course in Shamanistic Power’ by Evelyn C Rysdyk that actually helped me figure out that I accidentally am a spirit walker/shaman due to the course of experiences in my own life. I’ve yet to finish it but am currently enthralled by her findings and stories. Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

2 Likes