Seidr and Norse Magick

Hey guys, so I’ve been meaning to put this topic out there for a while. I find myself connected to the Norse gods, even if I’m nowhere related to them. My first point of contact was Freyja, then Ran.

Anyways, if I’m not mistakened, there were two ways to go about Norse magick, the first being galdr ( using the runes to access the well of the wyrd) I believe this form of sorcery was practiced by galdramenn ( please be free to correct my spelling !)

The second being seidr, Freyja actually led me to this path, I’ve had lots of dreams and doing some past life regressions, I’m inclined to believe I was a seidkonna in a past life. ( seidkonna being female practioners of seidr and seidmadr being their male counterpart )

Some people refer to seidr as Norse shamanism seeing as it involves trance work and journeying through the worlds to get information. It wasn’t given the time of the day in Mythology, seeing as it was deemed feminine and men who practiced it were branded with the term ergi, which I believe was an insult to their manliness ( even Odin was accused of this). Something the Norse took very seriously ( be free to correct me once again if I’m wrong or if I’m missing something )

There’s also a slight variant of seidr called spae, basically I believe this to be a enhanced form of intuition ( supposedly Frigg possessed this strongly ) again please be free to correct me if I’m wrong.

I’ve always been fascinated when reading about the mysterious seidr workers in mythology and I really want to know more about this path. I got a book on it recently, but I really just want to know if anyone has more information about it, or if anyone practices seidr?

Thanks for reading and I hope I didn’t take too much of your time

~Aluriel

7 Likes

I practice seidr on a regular basis. Even though I love ritual and sorcery totally floats my boat, when it’s all just me and my lonesome, I tend to fall into shamanistic practices.

There isn’t a lot of information on seidr, as I am sure you’ve found out in your research (which you’ve seem to have done, I’m proud of you). I know that Raven Kaldera and his cohorts have a brand of seidr they practice, so you may want to look for his books. Just be aware that he presents a lot of Unverified Personal Gnosis as fact, which rankles me, but his methods are effective for a lot of people. Someone else to check out might be Galina Krasskova. Her stuff is more academic, and has less practical usage to it.

I’ve been practicing for a long time, so if you have any questions, I’d be glad to answer them. I know others in this forum practice within the Norse Current also, so it isn’t as rare as you might think.

9 Likes

Thank you ! I have a few questions, if you don’t mind me messaging you about them.

~Aluriel

2 Likes

Great post! Been looking into seidr for a while now. Shamanism is definetly an essential part of authentic Norse magick. And as far as race goes, it’s not unusual to see the gods interacting with people outside the white race. I’ve met a black fellow who was a devout follower of Tyr and one of my best friends is a follower of both Odin and Satan. I think what attracts the gods to someone isn’t race, but mindset.

9 Likes

In America and most of the modern world, unless certain information about true Norse magick is passed on in say family practicing you won’t really find much as far as text.
But I myself say as a practitioner of family magick it’s good to see the modern uprising of interest in a cultural way that most would deem dead or lost in the modern age of today I have much to say on this topic and I will share my knowledge for the sake of keeping alive what most think was lost

1 Like

Welcome @Mjolnir It is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick, such as what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3

Edred Thorsson aka Stephen E. Flowers. At university I discovered a copy of his Ph.D. thesis, which was largely used in Runelore. Highly recommend Futhurk.

Al.

2 Likes