Newbie Introduction + wanting to join a coven

Hello BALG, I’m new and hoping to find guidance, I believe everything happens for a reason and my journey has brought me here for my next step.

I’m someone who grew up with a very religious upbringing, one that is very much the antithesis of the path I now pursue, I’m 21 years old and have been trying to pursue black magick, I’ve heard story after story about powerful covens that defy the laws of reality as we know them with some of their abilities begotten by their rituals, and some of which as I’m sure most have already heard, are rumored to be extremely powerful on the world stage.

However, I find it extremely difficult to find out how to join a coven, and most ones around my town that I’ve heard rumors of, are family based and exclusive.

I was wondering if someone could give me any advice on how to find, gain the trust of, and join a coven, and of course advice on how to not get killed or kidnapped along the way would be useful too.

Thank you all for your valuable and generous time.

1 Like

Welcome @LawrenceMurphy It is a rule of this forum for all new members to properly introduce themselves, so please tell us about yourself and any experience in magick you may have.

Where are you from?

Do you have any practical experience in magick?

If you do, what, exactly, do you practice and how long have you practiced it?

if you don’t, what areas of magick are you interested in learning?

1 Like

Welcome aboard!

Hello @DarkestKnight, my apologies for misunderstanding the rules.

I am from the United States, about an hour’s drive from Washington DC

My experience with practicing is low, so far simply tarot, candle Magick, and experimenting with astral projection. However my knowledge goes much deeper.

I have only recently begun practicing Magick due to my strict religious upbringing, I studied demonology and the Occult on my own time as much as I could, spoke with theistic satanists, and gathered knowledge not knowing why I felt so drawn to the mysteries of the dark arts.

I recently bought a copy of the Simon Necronomicon, and the companion spellbook, though it’s very surface level compared to what else is out there, I want to learn Evocation, soul travel, and what I can only describe as the ability to push or temporarily paralize people with your mind, (I haven’t learned the name for this ability yet and I expect it is likely something not learned easily, something to do with poltergeist control?)

I’m sorry I know it’s a mouthful

1 Like

And how long have you been practicing?

Can’t say I have ever heard of this outside of fantasy novels and comic books.

A few weeks, though I’ve known about it for much longer, it took me a long time get past the initial fear of it from my upbringing, but after my first experiment, that fear is gone and now there’s only fascination.

(I experimented using candle Magick and asked for a cigarette, my neighbor gave me a whole pack for free less than five minutes after lol) this was my first try, also my tarot readings have been accurate to an almost uncanny degree, maybe it’s just a lot of built up energy from repressing for so long being released all at once?

1 Like

Thank you for elucidating more upon your experience. I have edited your title to reflect that you have met our rule.

No there’s some magicians, probably no one who will post about it online, but there’s some magicians who can wave their hand and your entire body will be stuck standing still until he releases you, I’ve also heard of some who can make someone’s heart stop, although I’m not particularly looking for that ability to be honest and I’m in no way ready for it yet, though I know what I’ve heard and believe and nearly anything is possible with Magick to a certain point, I am a believer, not a doubter

Was referring to this, sorry, I didn’t quote

This has nothing to do with magick. Paralysis can be accomplished with hypnotism, and the heart stopping can be done through chi manipulation.

Don’t believe everything you hear or read because a lot of it is complete fiction. A lot of people in the occult can’t tell the difference between actual magick, and what they’ve read in fantasy novels and comic books. A healthy dose of scepticism is necessary if you don’t want to lose your mind and “become a master of infinite space” while you drool onto your pillow.

3 Likes

I appreciate your constructive criticism, perhaps the man I had heard it from was simply a boastful storyteller, and actually this has been another one of my great struggles is finding the right materials and resources for learning Magick, there are a ton of fakers and scammers out there, hence why I’ve been trying to find a coven, grimoires are also difficult to find, because there’s a lot of BS out there and so I decided to start with the Simon Necronomicon, any advice on that work? My neighbor has some knowledge in the occult from his old lifestyle, though he doesn’t talk about it easily, I’ve lended him my Necronomicon to read and inspect the authenticity of its contents, still waiting on hearing back from him. I plan to practice a sigil ritual from that book this weekend

The Simon Necronomicon is effective, though it is based on fiction. It’s faux Sumerian magick. Your belief shapes a lot of how you experience magick, and this basic principle is a cornerstone of what is known as the Chaos Magick paradigm.

If you want real magick, without people telling you far out stories of impossible feats with zero evidence to back them up, I highly recommend Works of Darkness by EA Koetting. This book will give you the basic tools for starting practice in demonic magick.

I also recommend Liber Null & Psychonaut by Peter Carroll, one of the classics in Chaos Magick, which will help you understand how belief shapes the reality you experience.

2 Likes

Thank you so much, I appreciate the book recommendation and any others you might have to offer, I’m going to look for it on Amazon since I don’t want to make a PayPal account, before I take my leave, are there possibly any other reads you’d recommend for a beginner such as myself?

Once again @DarkestKnight , thank you very much for your time

I would get more experience before you seek a covern. At the very least learn and practice some protection magick first. Coverns usually break apart because of jealousy. People start dating etc and then everyone starts throwing curses at each other.

Most coverns that openly recruit tend to lean Wiccan and they’ll cram 3 fold laws down your throat and you won’t mesh well trying to practice black magick.

A few years ago I was invited into a coverns group chat. All they were doing is roleplaying.

Welcome to the forums.

1 Like

Thank you, and the information you gave was very useful

1 Like

Oh, I have book recommendations up the wazoo lol

I concur with @anon8398376. You are unlikely to find a coven for what you want. Most groups that are powerful and possess secrets like you describe don’t advertise, and don’t seek new members. If they become interested in you, they will seek you out, not the other way around.

2 Likes

Thank you again, I’ll start studying

2 Likes

You’re not alone in your search for the Truth and the answers. Be wary of jumping into an order or coven to quickly. Yes there are many benefits associated with membership in these organizations but it’s a big commitment. Also don’t look to have easy answers given to you or have your hard earned truth fed to you or validated by others. This is just some friendly advice, I’ve been in the game a long time.

Now having said that you will find many students just like yourself here on BALG and many many knowledgeable magicians to mentor you and there are even a few real Adepts here.

Be ready to question your own beliefs and face your fears. Your going to learn to follow your own dark star.

Be well