Getting Started

I am 16 and beginning my life with magick. Any tips on how to get started and the best beginner things to do would be great.

5 Likes

Before you do any spells or rituals, you should work on your chakras and energy control.
Once you can control energy and channel through your chakras then Id suggest you research a few different paths and pick one that sounds fun, you’ll likely try several different currents before you find one that really suits you.
Goettic magic is a fairly standard starting point, though youll want to look into a number of different paths such as lovecraftian magic and voodoun. ( Just a couple of examples )

4 Likes

The joy of Satan website provides a fairly good step by step guide for getting started. Just work through each meditation as it is listed.

3 Likes

The Psychonaut Field Manual by Archtraitor Bluefluke is a great starting piece, take his theory with a grain of salt, but his practice is phenomenal.

Go and buy Initation into Hermeneutics by Franz Bardon perhaps one of the world’s foremost magicians. After you go through that, go through his other two books as well, The Practice of Magical Evocation and The Key to the True Kaballah

Then, if you have a job or in otherwise come across some funds, definitely check out E.A. Koetting’s e-courses.

7 Likes

Start with a daily meditation routine. Start doing research on some of the different traditions and what not. Do research on things like evocation, divination (something I highly suggest for you, as well as any other beginner) Once you find something you connect to(resonate with), such oh let’s say … Norse Magick and paganism, then go about gaining experiential knowledge about it. If you want I can link some of the bare bone basic stuff for you. On the note of Lovecraftian magic, I highly advise caution.

Also, it seems we are both 16, however I’m almost 17. Feel free to email me (emails are listed on my page) if you have any questions or just want someone to talk to. good luck on your journey.

4 Likes

Seconded Bardon.

If you get the self-control that Bardon stresses down at 16/17 you will be a VERY powerful force by your early 20’s. I would stress that before anything else.

Frater Xavier (He has a great youtube channel) has lectures on some really great early tips and things you can do right now to make significant changes in your life to improve yourself and get what you want. I can personally attest to what he teaches and a lot is easier than full blown ceremonial magic.

9 Likes

@eternal420 As someone that has been literally called by the goddess (Astarte) to magic after breaking free from organized religion, joined a local pagan group only to get kicked out and hexed by the reigning Occult Lodge leader from that group, spent as much time in battle magic as just trying to get ahead by using magic, I would say… learn from the mistakes of others.

Then, I would say to just jump straight into EA’s material on the 3 godlike abilities. Evocation, Divination, and Soul Travel. Forget Wicca (where I started and it WaS fun). Forget doing every possible occult search online. I had my ass handed to me and when the chips were down THIS ( becomealivinggod.com ) was what saved my rear and put me on the path.

All the extra stuff out there? Pick it up along the way after you get grounded. Don’t necessarily enroll right away. You might want to just watch some vids on youtube by E.A. to get some immediate needs taken care of then move on to more formalized education and always listen to your inner voice, your magical imagination.

THAT is what I would say to MY 16 year old self if I could go back and do it all over.

2 Likes

well damn I’m saving this to a note on my pc. make this a whole topic man and call it beginners advice

1 Like

also those real time edit updates thoXD

2 Likes

I know it. lol

I was just watching his video on what he’d say to his 16 year old self.

2 Likes

Oh and… SELF DOUBT IS SELF SABOTAGE AND AN ABOMINATION TO THE PRACTITIONER

6 Likes

agreed brother (can I say that if I’m new?)

1 Like

Yes, you can.

1 Like
  • Get reading material (websites, books, for ideas and inspiration
  • Start working with energy via yoga, kundalini, martial arts or meditation
  • Do meditation as much as possible. At least weekly, daily if you can.
  • Expiriment with anything you can safely (in a legal sense) get your hands on.
  • What works, works.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks for all the tips

Try this it seems to be working out for just about everyone who does it. Cheers!

3 Likes

Meditate, meditate, and when you think you’ve meditated enough…meditate some more!!!

Imo, you should be able to meditate for 10-15 minutes a day for about a month before doing much else.

Welcome!!!

2 Likes

Sorry to say but meditation won’t do much. I know some people who have never meditated but they are quite powerful magicians compared to others doing middle pillar and meditations etc daily.

Practical magic should be the aim !

1 Like

Very valid, some people don’t need to that is true. Just, in my experience, the average person seems to do better when they start there.

But, hey, whatever works right?

If you don’t need to then don’t if you do then do it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like