Clockwise vs counterclockwise

When I started on the path it was with The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey and then S. Connolly’s book Complete Book of Demonolatry. I have noticed that the invocation of the crown princes of hell are different. LaVey invoke counterclockwise starting with fire and S. Connolly invoke clockwise starting with earth. Is there a difference when it comes to creation of the demonic elemental circle?

1 Like

What hemisphere are you on?

Welcome @Student It is a rule of this forum for all new member to properly introduce themselves, so PLEASE CLICK ON THE IMAGE BELOW and tell us about yourself and any experience you may have in magick, such as what you practice, how long you have practiced, areas of interest, etc:

intro3

Don’t worry. I have introduced myself now in the introduction section.

1 Like

Clockwise, counterclockwise… I don’t do either, typically. The meaning is more about how the practitioner sees the two directions. Try both and see which you prefer.

The same thing can be said about the pentagram. Upside down, or not, it’ll work for whatever I want it to work for.

1 Like

Yes the pentagram has also been on my mind. It says that the upside pentagram represents protection against spiritual and magical attacks but I’m unsure it works in the same way with the inverted pentagram.

1 Like

These things all have more meaning to ceremonial magicians than those of use that aren’t. I should’ve said that above and it slipped my mind, tbh. If you’re following a ceremonial path, then the tradition you’re involved with (or borrowing from), would dictate what these things mean. Sorry for not stating that.

If you’re not using a ceremonial system, then things are a lot looser and more up to the individual. I did a ritual from a book that is more ceremonial than I typically am. I followed the counter-clockwise instructions for that ritual.

In another ritual I did, it called for spreading graveyard dirt in a circle around the ritual space, which is prohibitively expensive for me and largely a psychological effect for an invocation (not a manifestation). I drew it in Death energy instead.

2 Likes

Make sense that I should follow it in that order the ceremony is instructed.

Couldn’t you just make a few trips to a old cemetery out in the country pretend your mourning and surreptitiously gather the dirt.?

The pretend mourn is in case the caretaker at someone else sees you. And if they ask you you say knew them (whoevers grave just don’t pick a 200 year old 1 :stuck_out_tongue: ) but not well and are paying respects.

Add: Ya I know old post but I am answering anyways in case some reads it later so they know they don’t have to buy the dirt they can gather their own if they want.

1 Like

Could. But it isn’t necessarily needed. Haven’t scoped out the security of them here, since moving.

1 Like

@norse900 The kind of cemeteries I was referring to are the ones out country dirt roads. They don’t generally have security. Usually just a caretaker who only shows up to mow and maybe help with tidying up newly turned graves. Some of them country ones don’t even have fences if their old enough.

Add: I remember going to one with my folks they were trying to find some of moms relatives graves at night in summer. No fence but there were cows wandering around in it. I was just a kid and was scared there were ghosts so I stayed in the car. I think my folks were lucky they didn’t fall or step in cow pies wandering a cemetery at night.

Add: they stayed too long chatting relatives and didn’t wanna wait til morning they wanted it done and done and to head out for home is why the night visit.

1 Like

I knew what you were refering to, but those weren’t around on Oahu.

1 Like