Beginner Advice

A new soul to devour!

Nah, I’m just screwing with you.

Anyway, that depends. Look over the types of magic we have here, and tell us what you want to use.

Look around, hatchling, and view the world. Come to me with a greater idea of what you desire.

The e-book Become A Living God will give you an idea of what EA’s teaching, and this lecture on YouTube will give you a start on evocation: [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYTeFJvY-oQ]- YouTube

Also, read the archived newsletters, there are some real gems there, I’ve been practicing in different ways for ages but almost every other newsletter still gives me an eye-opening perspective or idea about something. You can access them from this page: [url=http://www.becomealivinggod.com/newsletter/]http://www.becomealivinggod.com/newsletter/[/url]

And like Sev says, think about what you want to get from magick and what methods seem most likely to get it for you fast, then go for those - no muss, no fuss.

1 Like

I’ve read the BALG ebook, Works of Darkness, some newsletters, and I’ve watched a lot of his videos so far.

I know that I want to start really, really small. Its a lot to go over though so I had an idea and hopefully some veteranmembers of the forum here will oblige me.

On a scale of 1-10, how difficult would the following be, using magic alone?

A. Become invisible
B. Kill a small plant
C. Remotely view something behind a solid wall
D. Divine a major, world news headline
E. Start a fire
F. Fill an empty container with water
G. Cure someone else of a headache

A very structured Way is Works of Darkness and the OAA material.
[url=http://becomealivinggod.com/forum/the-book-of-azazel/o-a-a-lessons-on-demand/]http://becomealivinggod.com/forum/the-book-of-azazel/o-a-a-lessons-on-demand/[/url]
So Start with Sigil Magick and WOD. (I have done it too.)

[quote=“Xroommod, post:4, topic:2523”]I’ve read the BALG ebook, Works of Darkness, some newsletters, and I’ve watched a lot of his videos so far.

I know that I want to start really, really small. Its a lot to go over though so I had an idea and hopefully some veteranmembers of the forum here will oblige me.

A. Become invisible
B. Kill a small plant
E. Start a fire
G. Cure someone else of a headache[/quote]

A-15
B-6
C-8
D-4
E-3-10 depending on complexity
F-4-10 same as E
G-1-3

1 Like

A. Become invisible
B. Kill a small plant
E. Start a fire
G. Cure someone else of a headache

I’ve done B, C, D and (accidentally) E and the rest I never even thought about - it’s not so much the end result that’s difficult, but working on the skills that will get you there is where you have to make decisions and put the work in.

There are different methods to get the same goal - for example, taking D. Divine a major world news headline, I was told about the upcoming market crash of 2008 when I was asking an unrelated question about the future during an evocation (I was worried Bush would invade or attack Iran in around '06 or '07, and was told the crash would happen and change the direction of world affairs - including making another war prohibitively costly at that point).

If I’d developed major skills in Tarot, for example, which I’m still only a novice with, and had I then done a reading to look into investment strategies, I’d have had the same answer but with completely different roots and via a different method.

So those examples, they could be easy using some methods and harder using others, but the work you’d need to put in to master those methods is seperate issue.

As for becoming invisible, I don’t know where you live but in England people in high-vis outfits and the type of clothes construction workers wear are usually invisible, as in allowed to pass unchallenged and no-one really notices them, especially if they’re carrying a clipboard packed with paper, covered in logos of construction companies, and talking on a mobile phone, so (I’m being serious) invisibility is context specific and can be achieved without necessarily becoming completely transparent, which is a different thing.

1 Like

[quote=“Xroommod, post:4, topic:2523”]I’ve read the BALG ebook, Works of Darkness, some newsletters, and I’ve watched a lot of his videos so far.

A. Become invisible
B. Kill a small plant
E. Start a fire
G. Cure someone else of a headache[/quote]

After the reading comes the doing. Start keeping a record early it will be useful in many ways.

[quote=“Xroommod, post:1, topic:2523”]Preferably whatever area has the clearest methodology so I can be as sure as possible that I’m doing everything correctly.

I really appreciate any help, thanks.[/quote]

I recommend to base your judgement of ‘doing everything correctly’ on your results.

A. This depends. Do you want to become physically invisible, or just have nobody register your existence? You can see Frater A for his story on the latter, but the first is about 15.

B. Depends how you go about it. If you want to do something complex with magic, like blast it out of the ground (I don’t even know how you would go about this), 16-20. But if you make a thoughtform over the area and program it to bring a drought and crop defoliation, this is a 2. Anything else could be from 5-whatever.

C. How good are you at APing? And how solid is the wall? If you can AP you can see spiritual realms behind magical walls. But if you mean without it, then… I don’t know. I think you’d have to do some crazy perception magic.

D. 3-5.

E. Annoyingly difficult, based on prior tests. If you aren’t doing it on flammable material GOOD LUCK. 7-11.

F. How do you intend to go about such? Turning a handle on a sink with magic until the container is filled, than shutting it off? Because that requires telekinesis. Uncle Chuckie is pretty good about teaching that- 4-7 with such a method. But to fabricate water? 30.

G. 2.

[quote=“Sevarn304, post:10, topic:2523”]A. This depends. Do you want to become physically invisible, or just have nobody register your existence? You can see Frater A for his story on the latter, but the first is about 15.

B. Depends how you go about it. If you want to do something complex with magic, like blast it out of the ground (I don’t even know how you would go about this), 16-20. But if you make a thoughtform over the area and program it to bring a drought and crop defoliation, this is a 2. Anything else could be from 5-whatever.

C. How good are you at APing? And how solid is the wall? If you can AP you can see spiritual realms behind magical walls. But if you mean without it, then… I don’t know. I think you’d have to do some crazy perception maboutagic.

D. 3-5.

E. Annoyingly difficult, based on prior tests. If you aren’t doing it on flammable material GOOD LUCK. 7-11.

F. How do you intend to go about such? Turning a handle on a sink with magic until the container is filled, than shutting it off? Because that requires telekinesis. Uncle Chuckie is pretty good about teaching that- 4-7 with such a method. But to fabricate water? 30.

G. 2.[/quote]

You want to magically water someone’s plant and then kill the plant lol ? and then watched through the wall wall they cry about it? and then what you are going to catch them on fire after that? I cannot believe some of the shit i hear on this forum. I’ve heard some really genius shit. I’ve heard some shit that sounds like it is fictional. and then I hear comedy like this!!! I believe in a lot of crazy things but this is not a video game this is reality. I really don’t want to sound like an asshole but fuck!!!

1 Like

I must admit I find lists of “Can magick make me able to do this, this and this” really grate on my nerves, because I came to magick from real need, searing psychological pain and a hundred other things, and even now I don’t try to do something unless there’s a clear possibility it will get me something I want, so when I read someone asking “Can magick make me fly” it’s hard to take seriously, whereas if someone posted they’d had an accident and needed ideas to help themselves walk again, I’d have all the time in the world for that.

I guess for me when I read a “Can magick make me able to do cool stuff” I can’t relate because it sounds like someone who just wants to show off and look cool, which I then judge as someone who’s not got any real problems or challenges, and I just can’t be bothered to waste my time on them.

They also usually lack that overwhelming drive to put in the work, so don’t get any results, and when they can’t fly after asking 3 or 5 questions about how to do it, end up acting as though they think people like me (who DO put the work in and DO get results) are assholes or liars or delusional.

JMO, I try to keep an open mind and stuff but lists of abilities without context are very hard to take seriously.

There are plenty of contexts for supernatural abilities, so any that I can’t see why folks settle for doing things “in line with natural laws”. If you can fly, then the fundamental need to pay for transportation could be wiped out, and if you could teleport then those standard transportation options would be completely unnecessary. Moreover, if people would learn it at large, the amount of wasteful and egregious depletion of natural resources and environmental toil and taxation would be greatly reduced. If you are a doctor, you could be ready to heal a guy in Switzerland, Trinidad, Nepal and Ecuador in less time than it would take to drive to the neighborhood hospital.

The thing about the magic community is that we thread a needle that to me doesn’t even make sense to do in the first place. There is no sensical reason why summoning entities is more plausible than telekinesis, especially since there are a considerable number of spirits that specialize in that field. Yet, many magicians will talk about how implausible such an endeavor is, and basing it off a logic stream that just as readily shits on evocation as well. In fact, there is more scientific research that has verified the existence of telekinesis than the tangible existence of “spiritual” beings.

The only reason why evoking spirits is so much more plausible than “superhuman” abilities is due to the fact that “spirits” don’t rudely violate the paradigm we exist in. They are whispy, immaterial, and they disappear when we don’t want to see them. They allow us to have “spiritual” experiences without needing to reformat the box of reality that we currently live in.

But if we started flying, teleporting, could control and manifest the elements, be made impervious the several degrees of catastrophe, then all these facets of reality we created for ourselves and have committed to ourselves as “real” would get flipped on it’s head. Most people would go completely insane if they weren’t confined my a lot of the supposed “laws” of nature; just try to think about how it would be to live impervious to bullets and physical damage. All that energy you put into being safe in life, worrying about security and buying this and that to protect you from this or that harm… many intrinsic motivations in life would go out the window.

Just how I feel from not only seeing folks cling to these things, but more importantly living with my own confinements and realizing that most, if not all of them, make little to no sense based on what I am doing, feeling, and experiencing. The primary thing is that HUMILITY is a first and foremost thing to have. I’m not saying this because folks need be apologetic, but rather so that folks don’t get so proud of their own ideas, beliefs, and thoughts that they can’t leave those shits in the garbage when they start to violate they person’s ascent.

For me, it’s down to the fact I know I can do certain types of work, but if I started flying, I’d end up in deep shit with the existing governmental, defence, who knows what other bodies that exist, so I’ll focus happily on manifesting a sports car or something, but I can literally see a world of pain descend if I started flying down the high street.

We live in a world that has certain rules and I don’t really mind them that much, it would create too much fuss if I grew a nice thick coating of fur in winter, even though that would be an immediate and totally humane answer to the british weather - I’d rather just do some kind of working to get a gorgeous coat or something, than go to war with reality over what everyone espects to happen.

You’ve watched the X-Men movies, right? Seen how happily the normals greet people who really can fly, get covered in fur (Kelsey Grammar never looked sexier) and so on… that, basically. Only on our own, in tiny numbers, and no Professor Xavier to save the day.

Give me spells and evocation any day!

And maybe a reality exists where people do that stuff on a planet that’s otherwise like our own - if so, send us a postcard if you get there! :wink:

Yea we do live in a world where folks are pretty much bigoted to shit like that. However, people are just plain bigoted to difference period, especially if that difference makes you look cooler than them. Hell, I’m a 26-year-old black man in America, we are already and endangered species on all the scales you talked about, plus we gotta deal with intrapersonal conflict as well. Also, in many parts of the world that stuff is still not that farfetched, know what I mean? If you went into certain places in India being able to levitate, folks would walk by you like it was nothing.

Moreover, we could do things like that without really attracting attention to ourselves. Becoming big and blue might be one thing, but an invisible field of heat energy? Easy, and no one would be the wiser unless you decided to walk out in the snow with shorts and a tank top. Teleportation could easily be done without a single person noticing, and I think we sometimes overestimate the power of observation that the standard person has. The government has plenty of operatives who possess these abilities, they wouldn’t see you as a threat to personal national security. If you got in trouble, it would be because you were violating the paradigm that is conducive to the plans of governmental interests. If you became well-known as a superhero, and started coming out talk shows like Oprah and coming out with “How to Be a Teleportation Master in 90 Days” courses, you know how many people would quit their job, start worshipping you as a god, and pretty much disrupt a huge part of the stream?

So if you weren’t loud about it, and kept that circle small, then the government problems would not even exist. My pops used to work in intelligence fields surrounding such issues, and a lot of “special interest” funds go towards research of that nature in America. Places like Russia don’t give a fuck though, they blatantly put a decent deal of the national budget into paranormal research hahaha.

But if there is a planet, I probably will elect to go there instead. The Earth ain’t really all that hot right now, and I do feel that we overcomplicate WAAAY too many things.

I’m with that guy.

Let’s be honest : there’s lot of creepypasta on this forum these days

I think there’s a difference between a spiritual experience that’s significant and meaningful to the individual and that they want to share, and one where someone’s saying they’ve effected real changes in the outer world because of something that defies probability or the laws of nature.

So long as people are clear on what they’re describing, then expectations on both sides remain rational and realistic: if I describe an astral battle with corpses who represent something from my own subconscious, or an inherited family curse, or something that exists in that plane but doesn’t automatically affect the earth, that’s a different thing to saying I single-handedly defended the White House from a zombie invasion.

But a little common sense usually shows when someone’s talking internal alchemy and external BAM “I made a sports car appear right on my drive” kinds of events…

We all want results in the outer world but while it would be great to read a post that goes, “I evoked the spirit of Elvis and he appeared right there in his white suit and handed me $10,000, and it’s happened everyday since to me and all my neighbours, and now you can do it too just by chanting ‘Love me tender, love me tru’” - magick doesn’t always work like that.

There’s techniques to understand, there’s internal work, there’s improving your scrying, astral and clairvoyancy skills, mastering TGS and the things you can see and do with it, all of which at some point involve stuff that’s going to sound a little wacked out.

It might also be good for everyone here who posts to remember the majority of the industrialised world thinks this stuff is silly at best, dangerous con-game or mental illness at worst, and that atheists, agnostics, and straightforward religious folks all think we’re out of line for different reasons.

The idea we could even be arguing that “My invisible friend is so much more real than your invisible friend” is classic parody material!

We know better and have a rough consensus of terminology for mental states, non-physical locations and types of appearances that spirits can take: and because this stuff involves serious matters of belief and real-life hopes and dreams that we all have, and profoundly powerful forces that can really help or harm, we owe it to people here to try and make those clear, especially when we post something a bit far-out, but also to have the humility to remember that 99% of our own experienceas and practices would be mocked out of existance in the everyday world.

Just my 2¢.

I just wonder, why is it so terrible though if someone actually does start posting fantastical shit? How could we discredit that person, because he is saying outlandish to us that doesn’t fit our ideas? The only way we honestly could is if we experienced what that person was doing and knew from experiencing that person that they were lying. But honestly, we can’t really be sure unless we knew that person, and many will discredit it even before trying out what might be proposed.

99% of what we are talking about is in the same class of screwed up and ridiculous, which is why I propose some of these scenarios personally. I don’t know what parameter of assessment would label superpowers as “creepypasta” over necromancy or voudon, especially since the deeper forms of both of these paths revolve around shit that would make Superman look like a $2 ho! So for me it doesn’t seem at all intelligent to really start placing limits on things based on parameters that already laugh at what you currently do. If a person is not able to understand it, or if it doesn’t vibe with them, that’s one thing. But to start saying the stuff is “not real”… it just doesn’t seem all that smart.

I’ve said this before, but considering that we are on a forum where stuff like this is bound to be bought up, I think it would help the forum if people who are not specializing in a certain area refrain from poking into stuff they aren’t experiencing right now. I have never posted in the Haitian Voodoo, Necromancy, Baneful or Satanic sections primarily because I can’t give an honest assessment of what is going on there. There are plenty of things in these forums that sound fucking retarded to me, but honestly at the end of the day, most magic looks pretty damn retarded until you get what you want. If yogic asanas didn’t have all the benefits they do, that shit would almost certainly appear like clear-cut insanity and crackhead antics.

But these arguments about what is real or not real… these can be the ultimate in hubris chest-puffing, and as they grow they always get more and more ignorant. I was on here all the time doing that, and am kinda doing it now so you know… it’s not really a good look. I think we all get a lot more outta posting stuff about experiences and techniques. If you don’t like the shit, move on, especially if it comes from a perspective that isn’t even trying to look at things with an unbiased view.

Just a suggestion, but honestly, I think sometimes folks are feeling themselves and what they do too much to realize that they certainly wouldn’t be here if they knew enough to make definitive claims of what reality “really is”. We got some of the weakest and ill-trained perceptual tools in the whole of the flesh-based organisms on Earth, but claims like those are still something that humans do too much of.

Let’s take this in a productive direction: I’d like to see a bit more beta testing put out there, myself - so far I’ve offered up a verbal technique that’s worked for me time and again (here), a new entity I found who helps with inspiration, and a new technique of healing, and asked for people to please try these out, see if they’re subjective for me alone or whether they can be used by other people, and only one of those got some limited feedback, none from anyone reporting their results (or lack thereof).

At these stages of beta-testing entities and methods a “Nope, sorry that didn’t work for me” is as useful to us as a community as “Wow this just told me the winning lottery numbers and now I own the northern hemisphere” but until someone else has tried an entity and found out whether it’s replicable, it remains unverified personal stuff.

So perhaps we could have more of a direction of not only doing our own stuff, as I did my Azi Dahaka work for my own benefit, but also try to bring things out from that for the community, which is what I tried with the chakra exe and Dorr, the entity?

I’m only using myself as an example because I actually tried that and didn’t get much of a response, so maybe we could arrange some kind of semi-formal method of beta-testing stuff?

I think the only parameters are that people reporting a result should state if they’re experienced, and discourage people with zero experience from jamming test threads up with questions and so on.

Proper peer review has to be by peers, not people who (however earnest and committed) can’t achieve results yet even using known methods or entities.

“Yr stoopid entity is fayke how do I evoke nyway ive never done It before” isn’t peer review, for example.

And by the way this has worked really well for the divinatory readers on here, so it’s not like I’m suggesting some weird new idea, just building on what already works.

Thoughts, anyone?

I actually did as well with the succubi thread. I made a mandala for Ladilok in more of the Goetia-Girl style stimulating fashion, but I also had a sigil (not very pornographic at all) for a self-created/self-realized entity KLUSHTINA. I didn’t get much of a response either, but to be honest I was very motivated to verify if other people had results with her. I do know of some people who did, but I didn’t even know they were doing anything until they had been working with her for over a month.

I must say honestly that I haven’t personally cared very much if a method I did worked for anyone else, just because I feel like techniques are just languages to get a certain goal and everyone has their own version of how they speak. But the few people who worked with her all contacted me personally off-forum.

I think as a theme - not a “you can’t post unless we can check everything you did ourselves” it has merit, and fits in with the ethos of magick to get real results, not just for the navel-gazing fun of it. It’s just an idea, people are always going to disagree or whatever, but I thought we could expand it beyond just free readings for feedback, and maybe have something in topic titles about something being up for beta testing.

Edit to add, I’m 50% responsible for completely hijacking the OP’s thread here, and apologies Xroommod for that, but that tends to happen when the question comes up about what is or isn’t possible or achievable, so beta-testing isn’t an answer for the OP but it might be an answer for a topic that evidently matters to quite a few people here.