Are Magickal Orders Outdated?

I’m a member of an order and I see alot of value in it. The concepts of fraternity will always be relevant. Theres also strength in numbers to consider and value of a large shared pool of knowledge and experience to draw from. Sure it’s not for everyone but I certainly don’t regret it.

3 Likes

Magickal Orders outdated ? NO NEVER
But it’s true that not everyone will like that kind of spirit.
Some are more made to walk their own very path and really dislike anything that sound “Brotherhoooood boohooo fraternity and solidarityyyy ouuuh freakyyy”
I’m exagerating :joy: but you get it

2 Likes

The problem is a witch alone is a power that is easy to top by a coven cause in the coven the power of the witches together will be multiplied not only added.

Normal people praying: _ + _ + _ + …=
Witches doing rituals: _ ×_×_×
… =

3 Likes

Gotta love those Magik Maths :heart:

2 Likes

I dont believe magickal orders will ever become outdated, not physically, not astrally, not etherically. Personally I had/have one etherically and don’t think I’d personally want it physically but I love the idea of occult orders atleast ones that aren’t cringeworthy.

2 Likes

May I bother you and ask for a little more detail about this ?
Sound really interesting, no need to give the name, but I’d be really glad to learn about it more, it’s not everyday I read about Etherical Magik Orders.
But if you don’t want to I’ll understand also :pray:t2:

1 Like

Personally, I don’t feel they’re outdated. But that’s just me. I, too, live in the middle of nowhere, but feel that there is a certain importance to group rituals, whether magickal, religious or social.

I think one’s learning style might have something to do with it. I struggle terribly with my attention span, which anybody who’s attempted to read my posts has surely noticed. I have a mostly solitary, eclectic practice, but it’s hard to focus sometimes. That’s where a group would be helpful.

A group of like-minded people can help focus lessons, teachings and rituals into a sharp, concentrated current. You’re not there for 100 different things, just for the work at hand. You can receive support, criticism (hopefully helpful criticism), guidance, reassurance and accountability. By yourself, you don’t have to memorize something before the next gathering, but with a group, you might.

The discipline of having to actually do something, regardless of how small or insignificant, can be an important part of personal and magickal development, in my opinion.

2 Likes

They are still out there … some of the most baneful and evil magic done today is done by orders. Secret of course. Yeh they are still out there alright.

1 Like

yup… at one time i wanted to know people in the scene in my area, but i was soured on that real damn quick. now days i find like minded people in farmer markets, bartering groups, or my local zen center.

They aren’t outdated, but they don’t need to be as large because of power creep. We been getting higher mechanical advantage so we need less input power to get the same amount of output power. We can do more things with fewer people.

Yes being an order member or coven member isn’t for everyone I agree. I can say personally I draw great benefits to that are meaningful to me in exchange for respecting the orders ways and rules.

1 Like

I have to agree with Rav there’s a real exponential power increase to consider with order workings. Strength in numbers is a valid concept. Think of it like this one by one were stronger together moving forward.

2 Likes

Yes there are some seriously powerful orders like fraternity of saturn that have some dark practices. That’s true bingo.

1 Like

For me being an order member is something I take great pride in. My illustrious fraternity as an example of an order actually guarded occult and spiritual knowledge within the walls of it’s lodges for centuries. Imagine what we were responsible for saving from papist controlled europe at the time.

I learned alot too , how to add my energy to a group working, how to tap the egregore of an order for extra power.

If you’ve got an international order then you have valuable contacts that can be networked all over the world to assist you in all of your laudable undertakings…hehehe

Also don’t forget all the souls of past masters that due to their love of the order still serve today by watching over members and guiding them. I am (my brothers and I) are the living link in the fraternity and we can call on the spiritual strength of those that came before us…like ancestral spirits but better.

So in my mind the very small restrictions I have on my freedom of conduct are a worthy sacrifice to gain all the above. To me it’s a no brainier. Also it should be noted not all bonds restrict us some bonds allow us to be free to be our best selves.

Now the trick is finding an order that you live near enough to that actually suits your development path. That’s the tricky part.

I for example really like what I’ve read and seen from the OTA. Runyons methods of evocation are LEGENDARY. The problem is I don’t live in the USA and there’s no OTA lodge in my host country.
That’s a bummer I’d have loved to have learned thier art.

I’m not saying you gotta join this order or that order or fuck…any order at all. I am saying orders ain’t dead theyre still just as relevant as they have always been and provide many practioners opportunities to grow.

2 Likes