A few questions about the runes

I had a list of questions about the runes
Do I have to have a relationship with the Norse in order to employ their power?
They seem to have positive effects, do they have a darker side to them?
How can they be used?
And lastly how does one create a runic formula?

3 Likes

[quote=“Nightingale, post:1, topic:9548”]I had a list of questions about the runes
Do I have to have a relationship with the Norse in order to employ their power?
They seem to have positive effects, do they have a darker side to them?
How can they be used?
And lastly how does one create a runic formula?[/quote]

1. No, but it helps. Really you have to get to know each rune and the force behind it.
  2. They are their own darkside. They are the forces behind nature and are really just ambivalent.
  3. Carefully. Other than that, look up Galdr and play with it.
  4. See above.
1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

No problem.

If you want a soild foundation, I’d work through Thorsson’s Futhark.

1 Like

^ Wot he sez. :slight_smile:

I’ll chip in as well:

As a divinatory tool, as a spell method, for protection, for consecration of objects, for healing people, animals, plants, and trees, likewise for cursing people, or locations, and for sanctifying a space.

This can be done with:

• blessed water (the easiest way a lot of the time) and writing the Rune with your index and middle fingers

• carving a Rune into wood, and then filling the carving with blood (be careful!), ink, or paint

• visualisation, into a sick animal to heal them for example, or into a space to change the energy, often done with first 2 fingers of right hand tracing the Rune.

You can combine simple and archetypal images, like flowers, hearts, or something, with Runes and Bindrunes, to draw in the energy of that archetype.

And lastly how does one create a runic formula?

Learn the Runes personally, and then work out which combination applies.

You can also make Bindrunes, which are to Runic spells what a chord is in music, compared to the single note, the single Rune. The secondary Runic shapes a Binding of 2 or more Runes sometimes creates are often also significant to read, and understand.

Read the Havamal, and try to get a grip on the concept of “kenning” to get into the mindset of the use of Runes, and maybe learn some subtle uses for them.

7 Likes

You can work with the runes and have no relationship with the gods and it will make no difference. Sure you can work with the Gods and have them give you insight but over all it is unnecessary.

See the runes have their own consciousness and so when working with them you are building a relationship with them directly.

As for use, divination is one of the things I don’t use with the runes. I use them like any other symbol except more intimately.

For example, uruz which in my definition is strength ill draw upon my arms and legs when I go to work out. If I need some money magick done ill put Fehu on my wrist.

As for rituals I use the runes as focusing aids, power symbols. They become another component in my rituals just like a candle and some incense.

Many use them for divination but forget the runes can be used to so much more. Divination is good and all but the runes are very versatile.

Here is one of Asbjorns secrets.

Just as the word rune means mystery, and so each runes meaning has to be discovered by the individual, this is the same for how to use them. :wink: try them with different things, see how they fair :wink:

6 Likes

[quote=“Asbjörn Torvol, post:6, topic:9548”]You can work with the runes and have no relationship with the gods and it will make no difference. Sure you can work with the Gods and have them give you insight but over all it is unnecessary.

See the runes have their own consciousness and so when working with them you are building a relationship with them directly.

As for use, divination is one of the things I don’t use with the runes. I use them like any other symbol except more intimately.

For example, uruz which in my definition is strength ill draw upon my arms and legs when I go to work out. If I need some money magick done ill put Fehu on my wrist.

As for rituals I use the runes as focusing aids, power symbols. They become another component in my rituals just like a candle and some incense.

Many use them for divination but forget the runes can be used to so much more. Divination is good and all but the runes are very versatile.

Here is one of Asbjorns secrets.

Just as the word rune means mystery, and so each runes meaning has to be discovered by the individual, this is the same for how to use them. :wink: try them with different things, see how they fair ;)[/quote]

Asbjorn, I’m a Swede, working with runes since many years back, more than a decade. Do you work with futharken or utharken? Have you read anything from Atrid Grimson? He’s heavy in sejd.

Have you experimented anything with runes with other currents?

I mostly use the Elder Futhark. I have used some of the others but I just resonate more with the Elder. Same on my mentor used in fact.

Grimson does sound familiar, ill need to look through my library.

I have used the runes in many currents actually, got great results.

1 Like

[quote=“Asbjörn Torvol, post:8, topic:9548”]I mostly use the Elder Futhark. I have used some of the others but I just resonate more with the Elder. Same on my mentor used in fact.

Grimson does sound familiar, ill need to look through my library.

I have used the runes in many currents actually, got great results.[/quote]

Atrid Grimson is a Swedish magician heavy in sejd and berserking.

I’m use the uthark, because is the oldest of the runic system, unaltered (in my view) also my mentor and friend Jörgen I Ericsson use the uthark so it’s what I do.

I have combined runes in my Enochian pathwalking and as you may know there where a Swede (Bureus) who created the götisk kabbalah so I also combine runes with kabbalah. I’m trying to fit the Asir and Vanir into the sephiroth but they doesn’t fit as well as the runes. For example Odin can be fitted into Kether, Chokhmah and Binah but also in Gevurah, same with the other gods.

Do you hold the same view as my mentor that the gods are from the runes, but because our consciousness cannot fully grasp the runes so our consciousness then filter the runes so the runic energys appears as gods to us? My mentor met Odin on many occasions and he told my mentor that he is runic energy but appears as a god so my mentor could understand.

Now I’m working with runes and voodoo to see what effect I can achieve, later I will try to work with runes and vampiric-pathworking
:slight_smile:

1 Like

21 posts were merged into an existing topic: Self-created Methods vs Authentic?