Your favorite quick read methods_do's & dont's

Good evening all,

As most of you know, I’ve been getting pretty heavy into the Tarot, and I wanted to ask other forum members about some quick methods they have and when they use them. I think that since i’m still learning the cards, it’s good practice to do at least one full read a day. But do to time restraints or perhaps the nature of the question, are there some other plausible methods:

1. Do you use a “quick read” method and if so what is it and why? Perhaps a 1,2,3 card spread?

2. From your experience, what constitutes when you use a “quick read” as opposed to a more in-depth read/spread?

3. Obviously setting aside the time for let’s say a full-on Celtic Cross spread, will be different than just pulling 1 card. Is there any relation to how one asks the question or words the question to which methodology you as a Diviner will choose?

Examples & additional questions;

If i’m asking a direct yes/no question let’s say, is it even appropriate to do a full spread?

Some problems I’ve encountered today were getting The Star, which at first glance looks great, however, I believe when the card is “influenced” the negative aspects of The Star aren’t too pleasing. Now, I only drew one card and my question was “What will be the end result of my Sigil Magick work with Grah’aht’talion (BoA demon)”…I drew The Star.

As someone new to the Tarot, I’m trying a lot of different things with my Thoth Deck (small version…large card version on it’s way), but I don’t want to read a card and mind-fuck myself by just paying attention to the “positive” aspects of a card and becoming delusional.

i guess I’m having some difficulty today with listening to my intuition and knowing if/when I’m spot-on and if/when I’m being self-seeking to the point that it’s fucking up my clarity. Perhaps I’m too close to my own situations to be objective?

Hmmmmm. No that is an interesting topic. As readers how do we stay objective when we’re reading for ourselves???

Thanks all in advance! I’ll check back later. I’m off to work some more Sigil Magick with Grah’aht’talion and some other freinds :slight_smile:

Mode_439

I don’t care for one card readings because there is no way to tell how the card is supposed to be read positive or negative. The smallest spread I do is a 3 card spread, that way I can judge from what the other cards are telling me.

When you run into a card like the star or moon which can have many different meanings the other cards in a small spread help clear up the message sent.

Interesting TWF. It appears from my experience and for your clarity, that i was actually muddying up the waters with the 'ole 1 carder.

Concerning a 3 card spread - I’ve only done past, present, future. Do you know of any other 3 card methods?

I do past, present and future and another where I ask the question the first card is positive influence on the situation the next is negative and the last is outcome. I use that spread to give me insights as in what strengths to work with and what kind of influences to try and avoid to get the outcome I desire. It’s good for when the situation deals with people.

I’m just a beginner when it come to tarot, however seeing as Mode put it out there about alternate three card spreads, I just thought I’d share one I improvised tonight. I shuffled, held the deck and got into trance.

I held the deck in my hands and asked what a specific person thought about me ‘physically’, with eyes closed, I reached into the deck with my right hand and felt the edges of the cards until I stopped at one that felt right. Then did the same with how they felt about me 'emotionally", and then ‘intellectually’. I didn’t peek until I had the spread out on the table before me and it was pretty darn accurate from what I’d been intuitively sensing and at least gave me articulation to what was more in me as feeling. It’s probably the most insightful reading I’ve done thus far as a beginner.

Hope this helps:

As most of you know, I’ve been getting pretty heavy into the Tarot, and I wanted to ask other forum members about some quick methods they have and when they use them. I think that since i’m still learning the cards, it’s good practice to do at least one full read a day. But do to time restraints or perhaps the nature of the question, are there some other plausible methods:

1. Do you use a “quick read” method and if so what is it and why? Perhaps a 1,2,3 card spread?
    Sometimes. I will do past, present, future.

2. From your experience, what constitutes when you use a “quick read” as opposed to a more in-depth read/spread?
    Something specific and immediate.

3. Obviously setting aside the time for let’s say a full-on Celtic Cross spread, will be different than just pulling 1 card. Is there any relation to how one asks the question or words the question to which methodology you as a Diviner will choose?
    I meditate on the question while shuffling no matter what spread. If that is what you are asking…

Examples & additional questions;

If i’m asking a direct yes/no question let’s say, is it even appropriate to do a full spread?
That’s overkill for a yes or no. Just pull one card or work with a pendulum.

Some problems I’ve encountered today were getting The Star, which at first glance looks great, however, I believe when the card is “influenced” the negative aspects of The Star aren’t too pleasing. Now, I only drew one card and my question was “What will be the end results of my Sigil Magick work with Grah’aht’talion (BoA demon)”…I drew The Star.
Why do you think this is negative? What were the influencing cards?

As someone new to the Tarot, I’m trying a lot of different things with my Thoth Deck (small version…large card version on it’s way), but I don’t want to read a card and mind-fuck myself by just paying attention to the “positive” aspects of a card and becoming delusional.
Let the cards speak to you. Your question here makes me think you are going to read into things as the instructions tell you and not what the cards tell you. Just keep doing readings. As E.A. Suggested, sit at a party and read for people. If you pull out a tarot deck at a party, 90% of the people will ask for a reading (if not all of them). Great way to practice.

i guess I’m having some difficulty today with listening to my intuition and knowing if/when I’m spot-on and if/when I’m being self-seeking to the point that it’s fucking up my clarity. Perhaps I’m too close to my own situations to be objective?
What happens when we read for ourselves or people close to us, we find ourselves forcing the results. To me this is the hardest part of reading. I prefer to read for compete strangers because their drama, habits, etc. are not known to me and my logical brain isn’t trying to piece things. Meditating to quiet your mind will help you for this.

Hmmmmm. No that is an interesting topic. As readers how do we stay objective when we’re reading for ourselves???
Good question. Don’t force the reading. As I said, not always easy.

(Sorry quote function didn’t work for some reason.)

This isn’t a quick spread by any means but Azesiel made me think of it when he mentioned the Celtic cross but Inlike it much better

[url=http://www.tryskelion.com/tryskelion/thothsprd.htm]http://www.tryskelion.com/tryskelion/thothsprd.htm[/url]

The Thoth spread is great for in-depth analysis and psychological profiles. Here’s my own modification that I use -

What You Want What You’re Getting
Self/Situation
Unconscious Drives Advice and Key Considerations

Replace “You” with He/She and you can get to know ALL about a particular area of someone’s life. This is really an “information dump” spread, and it requires really focused questions. I used to use it a lot more, but the Celtic Cross is better at concentrating on the essentials of broad trends.

Quick-Reading-
The Thoth spread was what got me really liking three-card spreads. What you find with these is that the center card epitomizes what’s being conveyed and the “wing” cards expand and specify. Usually the wings play off one another. But the first card always nails it, so for really simple questions one card will probably do.

One thing I recommend experimenting with is drawing a card in your mind instead of with the deck. Relax, decide to draw a card. Ask your question, then clear your head. You need to relax for a long, quiet blank space - a few seconds will be enough, just don’t let your rational mind try to figure out or guess the answer. You’ll be able to tell the difference between a real draw and your conscious mind trying to be “helpful.” The real thing just arrives at once, quietly and clearly, not sequentially or with hesitation. Weirdly enough, the card I draw in my mind will often be the first card I draw in the physical reading later.

If you practice pulling from the “other you” frequently enough, you’ll learn to just hold your analytical mind still. I’ve been practicing automatic writing since I was a kid, and when I applied that to tarot it dramatically changed what I was getting. Before, I would make a copy of the spread in my notebook and go card-by-card trying to figure it out. Now, I just get into flow right away. I wait for the impressions to come, and whatever comes through I write down.

Holy crappo Sultitan!

That is some pretty bad-ass shit. I think I’m going to experiment with the “other you” method, as I’m pretty proficient with working with my mind via meditation.

Can you clarify the THOTH SPREAD/WING CARDS? As I’m looking at what you’ve posted, it appears you are using 5 cards - one in the middle, two on the “wings”?

I believe he’s referring to the spread I gave a link to. It’s known as the Thoth Spread.

Of course…THOTH SPREAD. This is the one that’s in the the booklet that came with the cards.

As far as the 3-card spread, I like them because they give me a quick glance yet I was at a lose as to how to set them up. Here is a few that I found on the net, though I can’t really remember which site I cut & pasted them from.

Understanding a Situation:
–Past / Present / Future

–What will help you / What will hinder you / What is your unrealised potential

–The nature of your problem / The cause / The solution

–Current situation / Obstacle / Advice

–Situation / Action / Outcome

–Context of the situation / Where you need to focus / Outcome

–What I think about the situation / What I feel / What I do

–Where you stand now / What you aspire to / How to get there

–What you aspire to / What is standing in your way / How you can overcome this

–What you can change / What you can’t change / What you may not be aware of

–What worked well / What didn’t work well / Key learnings

Spread for Understanding Relationships:

–You / The other person / The relationship

–What you want from the relationship / What they want from the relationship / Where the relationship is heading

–What brings you together / What pulls you apart / What needs your attention

3 Card Spread for Making Choices and Decisions:
–Strengths / Weaknesses / Advice

–Opportunities / Challenges / Outcome

–Option 1 / Option 2 / Option 3

–Option 1 / Option 2 / What you need to know to make a decision

–The solution / An alternative solution / How to choose

3 Card Spread for Understanding Yourself:
–Mind / Body / Spirit

–Your conscious mind / Your sub-conscious mind / Your super-conscious mind

–Material state / Emotional state / Spiritual state

–You / Your current path / Your potential