YOU think you know better than everyone else? think again

Lol I said americanized anime, young justice.

And I said I don’t get what you mean by that xD

The character has been around for almost 40 years, that’s my point. Also, I think that still is from Justice League Dark.

Lol animes are japanese cartoons, in america theyre not considered animes.

No it’s from young justice lol.

edit, actually you may be right, one sec.

Pretends for a sec he didn’t read the 300 numbers of Hellblazer

Okay, now I see, he doesn’t show up on young justice because he doesnt get with Zatana until she’s an adult in which is after young justice xD

Yes. I’m referring specifically to the mindset of Constantine - the character, spanning all the graphic novels, Netflix Originals (including guest appearances in DC’s Arrow, Daredevil, Batman), and even the movie with Keanu Reeves.

The character remains almost unchanged. His basic character traits are :

• A street-magician style.
  • Expert in many currents, but ultimately integrates all of them into his own personal Chaos Mage framework.
    -Does not differentiate between the “Dark” and the “Light”
    -Does not “fear” the spirits, but often treats them like buddies (an attitude that has gotten him in danger many a times, but then again… Constantine is a very capable sorcerer, who knows what he’s doing)
  • So before you get inspired by his cocky attitude towards the spirits, I’d recommend you know full-well about how to defend yourself :stuck_out_tongue: (replete with enormous knowledge about all aspects of the occult - Constantine apparently delved into the occult since he was 10)
1 Like

Wrong editorial, mate. That’s Marvel, not DC.

Anyway, Constantine tricked The Fallen One into drinking holy water and amputated an angel’s wing with a chainsaw. Because he lacks any respect for both sides. He also punched Crowley, if I’m remembring right. As I understand him, he is an anarchist on humanity’s side (that’s what I really like about him). And yes, he can get away with quite a lot, but that isn’t because of his magick, but because he is a con man.

Anyway, I’m derailing the topic, so I’ll see myself out.

tmw you can relate

1 Like

There was a crossover.

I just like Constantine’s ‘style’. Here are some images I think are pretty cool.

1 Like

Constantine’s attitude is about the last mindset you’d want as a real life magician. He gets his ass handed to him more often than not, and survives the majority of the shit he gets into mainly due to sheer luck and as @ReyCuervo pointed out, tricks and cons. His biggest strength is that he knows how to make a bargain.

Actually, most of the time, he doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. He has had to be bailed out by more powerful sorcerers like Zatanna many times lol

2 Likes

The House of Mystery even kicked him out at some point.

Zatara (Zatanna’s father) died because of him, which tainted his big win during the original Crisis. While he is a cool character to read, it is true that you wouldn’t want to be like him with real magick (which, of course, is nothing like fiction magick)

2 Likes

I’d like to respectfully disagree with the stance that the Hellblazer is not a sorcerer worth his salt.

^Check the “Powers and Abilities” section. He might have fucked up a few times (which of us hasn’t?) - but has feats to his name like
Exorcism — bound, immobilized, and sealed the Hindu goddess Kali (Hellblazer issue 180 ). During the Son of Man arc, Constantine managed to summon and bind a demon by making it physical thus rendering it powerless and vulnerable, before Header shoots it with a shotgun. John also uses the right kind of spell that can destroy gods (The Trenchcoat Brigade ) or destroy them (The Fear Machine ). Constantine can also bound, seal, and control powerful elementals such as Norfulthing. (Hellblazer issue 246), and high level angels such as Archangel Gabriel (Fear and Loathing) and the Guardian of Eden

Black magic cursing — Placed a curse on his father that caused him to waste away, (Hellblazer issue 31), casting a curse on a host for vengeance (Reasons to be Cheerful), putting a curse to a gang that put them into catatonic insanity (Hellblazer issue 146), or using a spell that traps someone between the gaps of time (Hellblazer issue 276). Constantine’s curses are strong enough to affect demons (The Red Right Hand), and has a spell to kill a demon with one glance. (Hellblazer issue 50) . John also has a defensive curse that allows him to transfer any body damage and pain to his enemy (Ashes and Dust in the City of Angels).

Astral Projection — Constantine once separated his soul from his body to travel through psyches and dimensions. (Hellblazer: Joyride)
Divination — Used a pendulum and map to find the location of a magical disturbance. (Hellblazer issues four and 182)
Spirit ward creation — Placed a magical sigil on Ellie’s soul that prevented the forces of Heaven and Hell from tracking her. (Hellblazer issue 60), as well as using sigils to hide himself from Satan. (Hellblazer issue 85) He also placed various sigils on an abandoned caravan that he housed himself in to hide himself from the demon Nergal. (Hellblazer issue 12) Constantine can also write sigils on his body that protects him from magical attacks and possessions, and to prevent any demons from physically touching him. (Hellblazer issue 181 and 206)

and finally - Synchronicity Wave Travelling — Constantine’s signature magic. This allows him to make his own luck resembling probability manipulation. This is also one of the reasons how he survived for some time.

:hole: :hole: :hole:

I consider Constantine as a very capable Chaos Mage. The abilities I listed above are some that attracts me. You can check the full list out in the link above

1 Like

Pretty much the only reason he’s not dead (he has pissed off pretty much everyone, angel, demon and human alike) is because he has binding pacts with many of the most powerful demons and angels so no one really knows who claims him.

@RoxSta You do know those are just basic abilities possessed by most magicians in the DCU, right? lol He’s not exceptional at all. His appeal lies in the fact that he’s an absolute asshat.

2 Likes

The whole concept of Dangerous Habits is that he sold his sould to two of the three demons that ruled hell while the other had already a claim on his soul… and then tried to commit suicide, so they would be forced to either save him (he was dying of lung cancer at the time) or go to civil war over him.

As I said, a con man.

The DCU is epic, its citizens face multiverse level threats once in a while. There is a dark multiverse born from the fears of the people in the High Multiverse (or whatever they are calling it this week). Zed can even put up with kryptonians (kryptonians who doesn’t want to kill her falling from orbit, at least).

1 Like

Lol come on man. Other mages having the same abilities as he does, does not make him a bad magician in his own right.

If we really started comparing all fictional mage characters, Dr Strange from Marvel would trump them ALL.

I like Constantine as a character overall and that’s that :stuck_out_tongue:

We all agree on this. But the point the Knight is making is this: you don’t want to practice real magick with a mindset that will piss off every entity out there.

3 Likes

CONSTANTINE

Ive always loved that DC character

The thing to take from Constantine is - his lack of fear before any of the entities (something the entities themselves disapprove of ) I don’t intend on pissing the entities off.

In fact, when I made a petition to King Zagan (my first Goetic petition ever) , I naturally acted very modest (but mentally aware) , like accepting a guest at my house.

This got derailed a bit because of Constatine’s mention, but the reason I mentioned him is because of

^this.

The point was, Constantine can teach you fearlessness and confidence in your own Self - giving you that ‘generic shōnen’ fire in the Occult arena.

Of course, you take the best out of the characters you admire, leaving out the personality traits that would not help you.

I have no intention in pissing any spirit off for the pure heck of it - spirits I would myself in the future work ‘with’.

2 Likes