Would you really like to know your future (from a LD last night)?

Sure you do. What do you think is behind the door when you aren’t looking? A blind spot, hidden in plain sight. Behind your back or behind a door is the same thing.

Doors are a popular choice of portal, but by all accounts they unreliable, and often lead to random places. In theory they could lead to any place you’ve ever seen or used a door.

If you do plan on using doors, it’s interesting to note that in dreams they work exactly like the magical key from the mini-series The Lost Room. A descriptions of the key from the wiki of the show

a key with attached key fob stamped with Sunshine Motel logo and "Room 10," color brown. Opens any hinged door with a pin tumbler lock and turns it into a portal to the Lost Room. From the room, the user can exit to any location of their choosing provided that location has a door of similar construction. The door doesn't need to be of the same proportions as the door in the Room, as much smaller doors are used at two different points. [b]The user must also have a clear picture of the door they wish to go to or else the room will pick a door at random.[/b] It's one of the seven Objects used in the "Conroy experiment" to open a "tear in reality."

Since extra steps to accomplish something came up in the discussion, the “lost room” in question would be an extra step again compared to the eye’s mirror method.

Great show BTW.

I rarely lucid dream, though I recently started trying to practice more heavily. I’ll get lucky every now and then but I want to make it a common thing. I’ll have one like once every couple months for about 2 years, and it’s usually at the tail end of the dream.

I try to make a habit of saying “archetypal structures” instead of Archetype, but what I really mean is schemata. Like maple is a tree, archetype is type of shemata.

An excerpt from Paul Smolenski on how shemata work which I think expands on the method I described for teleportation.

This work addressed the case of schemata for rooms. Subjects were asked to describe some imagined rooms after using a set of 40 features like: has-ceiling, has-windows, contains-toilet, and so on. Statistics computed from these data were used to construct a network containing one mode for each feature, and containing connections computed from the statistical data by using a particular form of statistical connection.

This resulting network can do inference of the kind that can be performed by symbolic systems with schemata for various types of rooms. For example, the network can be told that some room contains a ceiling and an oven, and then be given the question: What else is likely to be in the room? The system settles down into a final state, and the inferences contained in that final state are that the room contains a coffee cup but no fire place, a coffee pot but no computer.

The inference process in this system is simply one of greedily maximiing harmony. To describe the inference of this system on a higher level, we can examine the global state of this system on a higher level, we can examine the global state of the system in terms of their harmony values. How internally consistent are the various states in the space? It is a 40 dimensional state space, but various 2 dimensional sub spaces can be selected and the harmony values there can be graphically displayed. The harmony landscape has various peaks; looking at the features of the of the state corresponding to one of the peaks , we find that it corresponds to a typical bathroom; others correspond to a typical office, and so on, for all kinds of room subjects we’re asked to describe. There are no units in this kind of system for bathroom or offices: They are just lower level descriptors. The prototypical bathroom is a pattern of activation

As for when it happens, everything requires your attention to exist. It comes into existence the moment you focus on it.

A) This one is risky because it increases your chance of destabilization. If I decided I was going to use that, I’d close my eyes, imagine the temple, then reach out for something that should be in my temple, and not open my eyes until I fell it. But seriously, unstable, and black out lucids are common enough as it is where you are lucid but can’t see anything.

B) Again, doesn’t exist until you look. There are parallels to be made here with quantum physics and the uncertainty principle. That method could lead you anywhere. Like in my excerpt about room shematas above, there aren’t enough inference points directly related to your destination to reliably extrapolate.

C)The way you described is more likely to cause crickets to start chriping than move you anywhere. With no blind spots, your attention will maintain the current surroundings.

I’d do it like this (assuming the temple has stone floors):

1. Find a stone floor. Doesn’t even need to be exactly the same as the temple, as long as it’s cold and hard, which will be my first inference point. Any tile would work. Pavement might be a bit too rough, but a sidewalk would do.

2. Using a ritual gesture of bowing down in worship (second inference point relating to “temple”) I lower my head to the ground so that it is all that I see. Place my hands on the ground and “feel” the temple.

3. If the ground is distractingly different here I’ll close my eyes for a moment and listen for the sounds of the temple, try to smell , reach out to feel something. The more inference points you establish, the better the odds of reaching your destination.

4. Rise up and I should be there. Sometimes you’re not there exactly, but you are noticeably “closer”. Odds that that closer location will have more inference points you can use to narrow it down even further. I still get surprised by some of the random unexpected shit some inference points will manifest, but it’s an art, not a science.

Of course then there’s the issue of the construction of your temple. As with the schemata of rooms above, bathrooms don’t exist as their own independent unit within that system per se, they are a small part withing the system that defines rooms.

I give credit to the Russian collective knows as the Dream Hackers ( [url=http://dreamhackers.eu/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=973]FAQ - Хакеры сновидений ) for discovering that we don’t actually have multiple different cities, homes, schools or even temples in our dream world, we only have one of each. That’s why often dreams of school or home end up a mish mash of every school you’ve ever attended or house you’ve ever lived in.
(Their archived stuff translates amazingly well through google, and they’ve done a lot of interesting things)

We only dream there are ovens in the kitchen because we’ve seen ovens in the kitchen thousands of times. I don’t know how many temples you’ve been exposed to The Eye, but you’ve got to consider how how much competitions your desired temple is up against. You could consider you knowledge of temples in general as noise your astral temple has to compete against.

It takes time and repetition for these things to become coherent. You can overcome that in the short term with novel attraction, but that novelty fades over time.

Spinning sucks real bad. Too disorienting, causes massive destabilization.

Ok, that one I’d have to pull an icicle out of my pocket and work from that.

Don’t think I’ve jumped exactly like that, but it seems to have worked out well.