Would you hide what you believe if…

One of the Four Pillars is to “Keep Silent”. One meaning of this is literal, keep quite about what you do and only speak with those also initiated. Another meaning is that in the silence you can connect with your Higher Self, Ascended Self, the part of you that is Divine.

Also remember that sometimes when you expose yourself, you may be exposing others, if you work with others in person and people know that you have friends who do the Work with you, then you are exposing their beliefs inadvertently.

6 Likes

Yea, because I see no benefit to having my family or employer think I’m insane. My beliefs are also not my identity so I don’t feel like anyone needs to know what I believe anyway.

3 Likes

In the modern world, it is detrimental for 99% of people to talk out loud about them communicating with demons. And not to mention, no one wants to hear about someone else’s beliefs unless they asked. I mean, look at how Jehovah’s witnesses are treated when they try to barge into people’s houses, talking about their beliefs. It is a personal topic and many people might feel uncomfortable if you bring this up out of the blue.

If it can bring ruin to my job or my connections (and in most cases it can because intolerant muggles are the majority), I consider it to be a foolish thing to do. What is the point? Why would I damage my well-being and create additional problems for myself?

9 Likes

To know to dare to will and to be silent

5 Likes

It is to my benefit to do so, so I do. I want to be taken seriously by colleagues/friends so I don’t go off spouting about talking with demons and angels. The most I’ll do is discuss Law of Assumption with friends who have independently found and read Murphy and Goddard; or I’ll occasionally tell my friends about AP/OBE adventures, but I phrase it as “lucid dreaming”.

Unfortunately I look a bit like a goth (never grew out of the habit of wearing all black…) so I occasionally cop a joking accusation about me being a witch. In which case I enthusiastically agree to the point of parody/sarcasm and make the usual jokes about sacrificing babies on my altar or making voodoo dolls.

5 Likes

I don’t have any need to promote or push my views, so few people have any idea what I believe anyway, It wouldn’t exactly be a change for me. I generally keep myself to myself, and look like an average middle-aged man so, with the exception of some knowing smiles at my Azazel and Belial t-shirts, and some compliments on my inverse pentagram pendent, no one notices or cares, and I’m fine with that.

5 Likes

I have embraced wearing all black.

I don’t see a point in telling them to begin with. I opened up to one person here because I recognized a space as a concealed altar. I have nothing to gain from telling those who don’t practice.

2 Likes

If I had like you the benefit to inherit a house of course I would keep my mouth shut until I get the house.
Atm…
I m not really hiding that I m in the occult. In the country I live ppl don’t seem to have a problem with it. The only downside is some of them ask me for free spells and readings as soon as I tell them :roll_eyes:… others, think I am trying to be Harry Potter and tell me it is not true… so I tell them to mind their business :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Nein, I refuse to hide my beliefs.

1 Like

I respect that (wish I was in a situation where I’d feel I could be like that. Maybe someday)

@

Schattenmond

5m

Nein, I refuse to hide my beliefs.

(Edit add: I obviously respect both sides if I respect the position that’s the opposite of mine so don’t fear to post if you disagree with my position your views just as welcome as agreeing ones@anyone reading this edit comment)

1 Like

Try attending events and joining groups for people with the same beliefs. It worked for me.

1 Like

Yes,

I have a phobia of cults. When I first became a student of the esoteric, I worried I was willingly walking into one. Now not so much, when you realize how…“open” the occult is you lose all fear or risk being suckered into worshipping some grand I.M mysterious.

As for my family, they don’t have that enlightenment.

1 Like

I have in the past, but I am not so sure if I would now. It is nice to express your beliefs and views.

1 Like

I feel the need to share what I believe. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love to do otherwise. Unfortunately, the temptation is strong and don’t always remember.

1 Like

Personally yes. Some people when they find out what you can do won’t stop asking you to do stuff for them (and I mean every little thing). I’ve lost friends because of this so I generally keep it to myself.

1 Like

Its weird how I would have answered differently two or so years ago. Back then I would have been open-ish about some of my practice when I felt that someone would show genuine interest (divination or metaphysical properties of herbs or stones or whatever).

These days I even deny in the company of other practicioners my involvements and mask certain aspects as interest in historical or cultural aspects. I have found fulfillment in the silent facets of my craft (after a period of painfully obnoxious oversharing of my findings). Plus, I can’t really estimate my future social or professional surroundings and being labeled as one of “those” people could damage certain aspects of my future mundane endeavours.

4 Likes

No I wouldn’t and didn’t, if people didn’t like it so be it, how I am. And if I need something or want something, my belief and magic, did what I needed so I don’t need to pretend or hide who I am, or belief in for the fact I know I can get and receive what I needed. I wouldn’t fake who I was, for anyone, or anything, even friends and family. Being a pretender and fake isn’t my moral. complete strangers are a different story, I feel people out first before I’ll over share anything with them. If I can’t be me around them, I turn and walk away, from them.

1 Like

I learned to be a self preserving ambitious Slytherin growing up because of trauma being who I am.

Hiding the fact I was gay was hard enough in rural small town Texas so hiding magic came naturally.

It has it’s purpose but as of now I’m learning to be the opposite and show my true colors.

Like a few lines from EAs channeling of Sorath the sun demon.

Sorath: “My power is that all men know, whether they love me or they hate me that I am here and I will give them all of my self. Those who enjoy my warmth may praise me and those who are scorned or who my light unveils may curse me. None of these matter at all to me for I simply give, I give. Give your all of your blessings and all of your curses and all of who you are to the world, over and over. Never rising nor setting more early because some may praise you or because some may curse you.”

1 Like

Definitely no for me. My family is catholic. I have no friends so that one isn’t an issue. In the work place, beliefs are not spoken about. I only discuss my practice with my boyfriend. He got me into magick. Im still new to it all but i have no need or desire to discuss it outside of my relationship or this forum.