Worms for the masses

So what do you guys think of this?

4 Likes

Be seeing restaurants with gourmet dishes made mainly from worms
 Anytime soon. Sponsored by the media of course.

1 Like

Personally, my opinion - this is disgusting (all cultures, of course, have their own taste preferences, but this does not exist in Russia). Recently I saw an informational video about this, where the announcer explained the advantages of such a “dish”.

Although I will not be surprised that in twenty years this will become an everyday food. Media technologies will do their job if need be. Unfortunately, if someone needs it (this may be due to both material and social factors), then the whole PR machine and the popularization of this “delicacy” will be launched.

10 Likes

It shows the contempt your masters have for you.

Note that it requires complex beliefs in things one cannot personally observe, plus adoption of a specific value system, in order to make this seem like a great choice.

No-one just looks at these and recognises “food.”

15 Likes

komeI

6 Likes

It makes me sense that there has always been a culture for this, almost fitting to those reptilians conspiracy theories lol humm what shall we have for lunch

Worms with fries and salad son.
Oh thank you mama! My favourite food!!

But without wanting to feed any conspiracies
 Who would accept to eat food made with worms? @_@

3 Likes

They love us! What you going on about
 Look at all the freedom they give us.
We can’t even be sexual anymore
 You gotta love them. They are so good to us.

4 Likes

And I’m saying this but I’ve eaten a locust alive. I’ve eaten Mill worms, pigs brains, the most crazy stuff
 But as dares, as challenges to myself, for the experience, the knowledge.
(it’s all awful really)

Now I come from Portugal and apparently the diet around the Mediterranean is one of the best diets in the world
 You think I’m ever going to swap my food for any other? Unless a world war comes and I have no choice, not gonna happen!

3 Likes

In my unpopular opinion, it might not be that bad actually.

They serve snails in France and consider them a delicacy. And I don’t see how worms are different from snails - both look disgusting. And a nice cook can make worms taste great just as they can make snails taste great.

5 Likes

One is a traditional food, enjoyed by some, scorned by others, just like anything else.

The other is a novel food which requires wholesale adoption of a worldview and items of faith, in order to be palateable, and is being promoted as a moral necessity - just like the replacement of butter and lard with hydregenised vegetable fat, and that turned out to be an absolute fucking disaster which crippled, maimed, and killed untold numbers of people. :thinking:

9 Likes

I beg to differ. Snails don’t smell or taste of anything much and the dish tastes mostly of butter and garlic. The texture is chewy like shellfish.

Mealworms are covered in keratin that’s like eating fingernails, and smell pungent and atrocious. No amount of verboten butter is going to cover that.

This is bullshit.

11 Likes

It goes with what I was saying
 Eating strange things for the fun of it, for the experiment is one thing, make a whole diet system based on these strange things,thats another level. I don’t know what’s going to happen, it might all go down the drain, perhaps no one will ever be convinced to put this in their food habits (I hope) but they will be trying to convince everyone how good and how healthy it is, all the thousand and one benefits that will have to put this in your diet regularly.

2 Likes

Ideology and a moral war against all the norms of the past pushed billions of tons of hydrogenated vegetable fats down people’s throats, destroying their cardio-vascular systems and causing runaway inflammatory responses, as well as replacing good fats in the brain itself. I won’t go beyond this, because politics, but the parallels are pretty obvious.

7 Likes

I’m not a fan of religion, so I don’t believe in eating worms. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

I both agree and disagree with you here.
People from Asian and African countries eat similar stuff and some of them live longer than people of western descent. I cannot recall the exact country, but some people eat potatoes with sauce from dirt and feel nice.
It might cause some troubles in terms of physical adaptation to such food, yes, but I still don’t see how it is more dangerous than all these tourists tasting dishes in Thailand or China, for example.
Besides, a human is a creature that can adapt to anything.

My point is that in 100 years people will say the same about worms :point_up_2:

No, it is not. You are talking about your personal taste preferences. I have never had worms and I cannot say if they are shit or not until I try. But I dislike snails. As well as I dislike oatmeal that is very popular in many countries and eaten by lots of people for breakfast, although originally it was horse food. Yet I do not call it ‘bullshit’ because they have a different opinion. On top of that, if no one could force me to eat oatmeal in my 30 years, no one can force you to eat worms, as I believe you are a grown-up person who can decide what to have for dinner by yourself.

5 Likes

Yes. Because someone needs it for some of their purposes. Unfortunately, our materialized society does not pay much attention to the “usefulness” of the product. The main thing is that it brings profit at minimal costs. A classic example is the hydrogenated fats that Lady Eva brought up.

First, the topic of worms will be promoted by “authoritative” scientists, then they will write scientific opuses about their benefits, then famous personalities will advertise it as a super popular product. Well, further it will appear more and more often in news, advertisements, films, etc.

2 Likes

People never adapted to hydrogenated veg fat, they just got sick, usually very low-level stuff which acted as a gateway to other illnesses, but many died. :thinking:

Novel food + a moral ideology that forces it into the place of something humans have adapted to, has historically been very bad news.

5 Likes

Something to note about indigenous bug consumption (used as the model here) is that the food is usually fresh, gathered by the same person and eaten within a small window of time, so any fats in the food are not rancid or oxidised.

The problem of rancid fats is something people are only beginning to wake up to. Similarly, the discovery that starches change after being cooked is a new thing, so I don’t think we’re at a place of having enough comprehensive knowledge to be able to start fucking around like this.

Snails are not universally consumed in regions they’re commonly found in, even among the poor, so that seems to be more of an outlier, like Japan’s custom of eating fugu fish:

4 Likes

See i was raised eating raw sea food
 If I say that to anyone from a western civilized country they might think I’m crazy
but it was nice fresh sea food that I caught and ate there and then.
Not inside a jar, processed with chemicals so it lasts months. I wouldn’t eat that not even paid.

5 Likes

I wasn’t raised with a lot of seafood, there’s no sea near my home, but when I was in Japan I once ate really freshly made tuna sushi, and that was so incredibly good, can’t be compared to what you get here.
I believe regional is the key.
I don’t believe it is better to eat dried insects than it is to eat some pork that was raised and killed by a small local farmer in my own village.

6 Likes