Working with Necromancy from a Norse paradigm?

So we all know about necromancy and its various gods, spirits, rituals and such. Well at least people on this sub forum. In the Norse pantheon there is Hela, Odin, and Skuld. Hela being a God of the underworld, Odin being a death god, and Skuld being a death Norn (read up on her, she’s badass). I’m not well versed in the Norse necromantic tradition or rituals. I’ve used runes, called down the gods in blot, blotted my ancestors (technically necromancy) but I wanted to form a system similar to a lot of the modern necromancy using the Norse. Does anyone here have additional information on this? It would be appreciated. FYI I’m planning on consulting Odin about this.

1 Like

Fabulous idea! I love it–PMing you now.

1 Like

Something I invest a lot of my time on actually. I don’t want to shout this out to soon but I do plan to write a lot of material on this.

1 Like

[quote=“asbjorntorvol, post:3, topic:9323”]Something I invest a lot of my time on actually. I don’t want to shout this out to soon but I do plan to write a lot of material on this.[/quote] That’s awesome. Necromancy (for me) is a hard to approach current. I’ve always thought that it would be easier for me to approach it through the Norse path as that is the path I feel at home in.

2 Likes

I have found Necromancy as a whole is one of those topics that many find hart to approach and in the beginning I was exactly the same. I think a lot of Necromancy gets misconstrued a lot though. Many seem to think of it as dark when in reality it is neither. Death simply is and the whole dark thing can be a little off putting for many. I see Necromancy at least in term as an umbrella term for working with death, so by that definition a priest who performs a funeral right is doing a necromantic practice. That is a topic for another time perhaps.

I have found necromancy to be applicable to all traditions in some form or another. It is a craft that any can adapt into their chosen path if the desire to, or they can make it their path and lean to the traditions as they find use for them.

The Norse I feel have less to offer in this regard as they did not practice much Necromancy strictly, the practiced Seidr which you could argue is a technique used for Necromancy but that is a matter of semantics and context. They have death rituals and so necromancy is included it just seems like one of the areas that as we look back in history are not as well recorded. The Vitki are said to have worked with necromancy but there are no texts to confirm that to my knowledge. A lot of it is speculation but when has history ever been a barrier with the norse path, they used what works and so I see no problem in reinventing, reconstruction and inventing techniques.

1 Like

One of the things I really like about walking the Norse Path, is that the entities I have encountered don’t seem to mind inventing techniques. They are very much in that mindset of “use what works”.

1 Like

You won’t find even 3 or 4 devout Catholics who believe and practice their religion in the exact same way, or even Muslims - I’ve met Muslim women who are very devout, wear the veil and the whole 9 yards, and yet are really curious about feng shui, which is totally outside mainstream (and very clearly defined) Muslim belief, and their own customs and cultural heritage.

So I don’t see why our ancestors, who weren’t even practicing a religion of obedience which has a book one can always check for the rules, should have believed and acted in lockstep more than modern people do.

I had a little rant before about this, which I’m going to be lazy and paste here fwiw:

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:3, topic:4869”]To throw in a personal opinion, I don’t think there has ever yet been a single coherent Norse “system” that echoed (for example) Mithraic mystery cult initiations, the Hindu systems of gurudom and lineage, or the established traditions of ancient Egyptian priesthood, or the current systems of pathworking the Qabbalistic trees, etc.

Ancient Egypt and its systems, initiations, and pathworkings (to take just one example) existed for over one thousand years - whatever the people of northern Europe had at (for example) 500BCE was obliterated by first, the Romans, who wiped out our Druids as being the equivalent of insurrectionist spiritual leaders; later this weird middle-eastern cult of Xianity blurred the past’s wisdom and heritage, and so the northern European god~man connection is only now finding the air to breathe.

Early Norsemen just got on with stuff, lived their lives, probably did some fucking atrocious stuff, but they lived in a world of flesh and blood and hadn’t yet had any reason to believe this may need defending, or that they were being targeted as some kind of unique problem upon the planet.

A lot of Norse magick and empowerment in my experience only remains true right now to its Viking roots - go out using the best tech you can lay your hands on (the Northern Europeans had their boats and seafaring knowledge) and see what you can find - and claim.

Or follow Odin’s example, and break down new barriers, refuse to accept the state of man or the state of magickal knowledge and power as being static, fixed, explained in full in some dusty old books and just waiting to be learned by rote - go break some stuff, savage things, seduce that which has what you want, and be ready to give up something precious for something better.

Odin seems to be the only god with a sense of the idea of progress - of the future being bettered by the discovery and exploitation of that which was previously unknown, un-held, un-owned - to take the esteemed and amazing god Dhjuty/Thoth as an example, he teaches the learning of that which is already (but which is static, complete, lawful) - of that which is true, but Odin? He says fuck that shit and goes and breaks a load of laws and does some pretty crazy stuff to find something newer, something better, something different.

Thor meanwhile, his hammer was so eloquently described in the first Avengers movie as the building/destroying tool of a god - electricity, lightning, hmmn - I wonder how we’d be having this conversation if electricity had never been comprehended and put to good use? :slight_smile:

No internet, that’s for sure.

… The Norse gods and their concepts are in many ways very NEW - not built upon decaying sand-whipped megaliths, destroyed idols, nor the dusty words of a maniacal troll-god who wanted to be all alone in being worshipped, because nobody liked him, and he had no love to give… ;)[/quote]

Innovation is the lesson of Óðinn, among others, and breaking laws and conventions to acquire power is absolutely legitimised, to me, by his lore and his accomplishments.

3 Likes

Update: Last week I evoked Odin and he told me to go and contact Nidhogg. Nidhogg is a guardian of a part of Helheim where the dishonorable dead and murderers go. I contacted him last night and he gave me instructions on a ritual to contact the draugr. I contacted the draugr in a baneful ritual and last night we were hit with a freak blizzard. It’s strange because all of the snow had begun to melt and we were nearly snowed in when I awoke. If you want the details on this ritual PM me because I’m not sure if Nidhogg wants this information to be easily available to everyone but if he’s alright with it then I’ll post it and anymore results I get.

3 Likes

I actually made a account here to ask you for that ritual which actually come to find out I have to work a bit to PM people lol! Is there anyway that you can PM it to me?

1 Like