Why would anyone want to do this?

I’ve been reading the forums here quite a bit lately, and I’ve happened upon a surprising number of posts and topics involving people carrying out modified versions and their own takes on the Gatekeeper ritual, first described in the BOA. Call me silly or naive perhaps, but I find myself curious as to WHY someone would want to do that? I don’t mean that as a negative comment or anything. I’m just curious about this? I know there must be a reason, and likely everyone has their own reason. To me though (and likely this is just the baffled newbie tot he path perspective here,) it seems dangerous, and horrifying. Not to mention easy to lose control of.

I’m certainly not an expert, but in several decades of dabbling, and now jumping in the deep end, I’ve seen that there really are no set in stone rules. Magick works off of intent. How you dress up that intent is less important than the intent itself, and the energy behind it. There’s a saying among Witches that a good Witch is eclectic. Once you find things that work best for you, as an individual, you begin working those things into your rituals, spells, etc. I’m certainly not at the confidence level where I would deviate when doing certain things, but I have used my own “way” on certain things, and it has worked. So, I guess, those who use their own take on the Gatekeeper Ritual, are doing so because they’re incorporating what they know to work best for them. It kinda goes to the old “you have to learn the rules before you can learn to break them”.

It’s my working belief that people develop a set-point for things like pain and fear which then remains with us from early childhood. Some of us, often through no fault of our parents or caregivers, developed high set-points for things other people strive to avoid, and if we don’t find positive ways to manifest these things, we create them in uncontrolled ways that are purely destructive.

When I used to drink, part of the fascination at the time was the possibility of death - sick as that sounds. I’d wake up with heart palpitations, shooting pains in my head, all manner of things, and yet that (alone) never stopped me.

I believe that was because I was very sick in early childhood, and then again later, and to some extent my view of reality is that my life is, or is even somehow meant to be, in constant danger. It’s my normal.

So, I can wail and pay a small fortune to therapists, or I can accept it as my dharma, perhaps even in some way my choice, assuming the soul has some say over where and how it’s reborn, and find positive ways to manifest it.

Therefore my answer to your question is that some people might want to do this and things like it because it’s our preferred way of living, and that our lives will always be in some way experienced as dangerous and horrifying, etc., because that’s just how we’re wired.

JMO and I hope it doesn’t offend anyone, but this framework has helped me a lot in the past few years, especially when I see how many patterns I repeat.

It’s underpinned by the book Psycho-Cybernetics of course, which I’m always raving on about :o) though he doesn’t go quite as deeply into the very dark destructive things our “cybernetic mechanism” might be programmed for.

It’s my working belief that people develop a set-point for things like pain and fear which then remains with us from early childhood. Some of us, often through no fault of our parents or caregivers, developed high set-points for things other people strive to avoid, and if we don’t find positive ways to manifest these things, we create them in uncontrolled ways that are purely destructive.

When I used to drink, part of the fascination at the time was the possibility of death - sick as that sounds. I’d wake up with heart palpitations, shooting pains in my head, all manner of things, and yet that (alone) never stopped me.

I believe that was because I was very sick in early childhood, and then again later, and to some extent my view of reality is that my life is, or is even somehow meant to be, in constant danger. It’s my normal.[/quote]

I concur. I just finished another of the most intense rituals I’ve ever done and was beyond satisfied and ecstatic. Then, again, it involved nearly all the bodily fluids and then some, was accompanied by well-orchestrated violent puking, massive guilt, despair, nearly passing out and torching my carpet, wild crazy dancing…Invoking is powerful.

But, hey when the humans relying on God to save them, can’t even figure who they are let alone God, it seems kind to help out a bit. Poor rheumatologist and psychologist were out of their depth with me and I don’t do meds.

My goal: Perfect my fucked up family (cancer moon kinda goal) and us in good health. I picked the most ass-backward disturbing way to do it because I want it done in my lifetime.

My result; complete resolution of so-called "fibromyalgia…and all accompanying symptoms, since I was 5. My parents treating each other with consideration and care, dates - voluntary! Hugs! Eye contact and humor! My bro marrying an awesome lady. My sis loving herself and off anti-depressants. My daughter’s full body eczema resolving in 4 days (bloody weeping scabs, callouses and all). My son’s nervous habits of bloodying his cuticles, and chapping his lips bloody (same ritual - 4 day resolution). Family dinners, bible study (good public facing foundation for occult add-ons as the children age), my dad, the former silent workaholic building a play house with all his grandkids helping; even lets baby hand him screws and nails. My mother, the bitter harsh Jesus-or-bust woman, experiencing agonizing chronic pain for months (she needed to understand what she did to us), and at its remission, finding a well of compassion and tenderness for failing and sin.

I think that Christians cruelly taught to go to the source (God/Father) for grace/assistance is a bit like my mitochondria asking me to give 'em fuel. Sure. But, why not go to the next level closest to yours where you can converse and understand a bit more of the nature of your request and the ramifications in symbols you comprehend more clearly? I never learned to trust, so how can I learn? Baby steps with barely demonstratable results over a long time, or giant leaps where your ability to trust is pushed to its limits by Your will.

Only someone desperate or aware is going to choose to go it the painfully agonizing way. And I’m totally cool with them giving Jesus the credit.

Oh I would certainly agree with all that. I’m all for doing one’s own thing. I am trying to learn many of the ‘rules’ of practice myself in part so that I can break them properly, and still get a working result, lol. I like to think and hope that I am already slightly on my way to finding my own way. I was far more baffled over why someone would want to do a ritual like this at all in the first place. As far as I can guess, a lake of fire would pretty much trigger a few of the most basic fears of most human beings. (Probably why the church took this idea and ran with it, imo.) I would think that just trying to really imagine and certainly to see such a thing would be nightmarish. To actually fall into it… on purpose…? Besides, while the non-physical consciousness of a person, as it seems so far from accounts, is not actually truly harmed by this, only painfully and brutally transmuted, there’s the (however slight) risk to the physical body, which has hit the floor. E.A. had even said on one of his podcasts that he had quite possibly been slamming his head against a concrete floor. I would think any number of things could happen to injure oneself accidentally.

After reading the replies on this topic however it makes far more sense to me. I suppose I just had notyet considered that sometimes the best way to really solve years of life’s programming is by doing it with such brutality and risk.

Seems I misinterpreted your OP, lol. I thought you were asking why one would modify an already risky ritual. My bad. Or whatever the kids are saying these days.

I think the two aspects mentioned go-together with a modern-approach-subculture…

Both: a "dangerous"ly intense ritual
and
-modify a ‘recipe/method’ to something different…

I think both of those go-together (if XYZ is intense, then the question why go through so intense only applies to those that go through XYZ process… if it is “inspired by” its possibly related, but not the same.

-like how some "fitness gyms" have "bootcamps"... and calling a weekend seminar, or morning recurring class a "Marine Corps style bootcamp" (or "SAS style training"), which I've seen marketed... not the same thing as actually enlisting and committing to the actual MarineCorps or SAS immersion-training... 

[ and those that come out the other end are changed …? in an improvised- perhaps perhaps not, again not to say that can’t have value, it may even have more value… but to call it the same… why not call it something else? Those that actually went through the “known” practice, ie actual SAS paratroopers or SB- might protest. ]
(and yes there are some that insist nothing makes any difference anyway, its all in the mind, so anyone can randomly come up with something- and get Frenzied-enough… and have enough Additional people believe… and no actual processes, actually affect -thus invalidating Arthur C. Clarke’s quote…)

those that oft fallback on thoughtform becomes real… Santa Claus? (how many world-wide focus upon his wish-fulfilling? if each focused upon empowers…)

so just as a perspective- the two aspects - a Traumatic change (if follow the process) and yet change the process = not a traumatic change.

IF the process, which is tested and works… -does it? if it doesn’t work, then it doesn’t… if it does work, then changing it… How make a souffle? if learn from a chef, and decide use different tools, different ingredients… end up with something else.)

some could say- certain components can be changed and still call it the same, while change enough components then it is different… lay out (in string, or chalk-lines) squares… hop between like “hop-scotch”… that is a gatekeeper rite (have 7 sqs, thus it is also ‘walking/hopping the gates of the zonei’ -whether those are seen as ‘real’ or made up… some say the zonei, and the bk it came from is not-real, but something based upon it is real…)
So hop the sqs… and can say one has completed the gatekeeper ritual, and the zones? (how changed is the rite if one is doing the Gatekeeper- solo, without 3 others, or even 4 others- with a possessed in each corner… thus channeling (per agreed comm) each of the 4 kings…

—assuming by that is meant the Lake of Fire from Bk of AZAZEL, not what EA has referred to at times as the 4 qtrs using sigils/Demonic King as Watchtowers…

Im waiting to recieve a few more items for my workings, but I have full blown intention of undergoing this ritual.

I agree with others have said,about threshold for pain being greater for some people than for others.

However,I do not think that that is the full story.The Gatekeeper Ritual,from what I can tell,is very intense.

Not only is the ritual itself intense,but it is a life-changing kind of ritual.It’s like losing your virginity,graduating from high school,or college,getting married…

And it’s a baptism.Like a Christian baptism,only the exact opposite.It is a serious ritual that burns away the dysfunctional things in your life,and leaves that which you love,enjoy,and cherish…probably.

From what I can tell,it starts with an endless streak of bad luck,and stuff getting taken away,until finally,it’s an endless streak of good luck,and ascent.

And the demons,they’re your friends,they obey you,and it’s just more stuff.

People who’s lives are crappy may want to do this ritual,to part with their weaker self and embrace godlike qualities.

Still,others who are at some sort of crossroads in their life,may need to part with their old self too,and start out fresh.

Either way,this ritual is very serious business.