Why Do So Many People See Demons as Evil?

I got into a bit of a debate yesterday with an RHP magician/occultist. They of course claimed that demons were evil, dangerous, and just wanted to deceive people. They claimed to have personal experience with it, said they had worked with demons in the past.

So it made me think, why do so many people think demons are evil? Is it just that they get what they expect to see? It just seems like such a pervasive view.

My own relationship with demons has been nothing but beautiful and helpful.

14 Likes

Yes

8 Likes

:rofl: I would say sometime demons will troll them because they are annoying humans and it’s fun to play with them! Also because they get what they expected to get!

10 Likes

Prolly cuz of religion

3 Likes

That’s the VERY RHP people and the ones that haven’t got rid of their Xtian hate and fear.

You get what you pay for.

Nah they didn’t, if they seriously worked with Demons in the past they would know the truth. Also that’s a preacher’s mind, I’d advice you to stay away from these people.

This is what truly matters, what have YOU experienced.

10 Likes

1 reason, people are stupid. They rarely do the research into the subject and therefore only see them as evil due to ignorance.

7 Likes

There is an underlying philosophy of altruism within the right hand path. The unspoken rule is that you will work with entities that value your protection and happiness. Psychologically, the RHP works with representations of the best of humanity.

Demon’s are complex. Relativistic morals. It’s possible for them to bargain, deceive, and turn lives upside down if you do something to deserve it or if there’s a greater lesson to be learned. In other words, there’s a degree of unpredictability. And the unknown is frightening.

Or I might be thinking to hard and the people you talked to have bought into anti-demon propaganda.

Next time try putting it a different way. If you switch out “demon” for “ancient god” or “goetic spirit” would they still feel the same?

6 Likes

All of my friends at school shit them selves while using ouija boards for the first time so because they were so scared i wanted to have a go and instead of diving straight in i read three different books on what to expect so had no delusions as to what i was letting my self in for. People don’ t get the knowledge first and then dive in they dive in and then wonders what hit them

1 Like

Xtianity came and made ancient Gods into Demons and anyone not worshiping the new God was punished.

My favourite painting is called ‘Christ or Diana’ in which a woman is being forced to accept a religion or be killed…This summed it up back then.

TV shows also show over dramatised ‘Demonic’ hauntings and show a Priest come and cleanse the place clean of ‘evil’ and most tend to believe everything they see and hear and so it goes on and on.

12 Likes

Ancient myth and legend starting with the Bible as number 1, demons are fallen angels attacking people as evil agents of Satan.

Books, film, and the media are also factors in public perception. So-called paranormal investigators or exorcists publish a book on their experiences much of it fabricated is a huge influence. All claiming the demonic will attack and destroy your family, or life. Once they turn the book into a movie… Holy sh$t! The demonic or those that practice Withcraft are evil takes on a life of its own. Hollywood has made a fortune into turning fiction into reality. Be it a book or movie its all about making those dollars at someone elses expense.

2 Likes

I like this excerpt in the Anthology of Sorcery:

=================================

“ The left-hand-path magic, however, views spirits as guides and allies on the path of personal Ascent, not agents of Evil who have to be bound and coerced into obedience.

If you perceive spirits as hostile forces and expect all sorts of mischief on their part, this is most probably what you will receive. Think how you would feel if someone locked you in a cage, bound you with chains, beat, and threatened, while forcing you to serve and do anything they ask for. Would you not want to repay them accordingly the first moment you get a chance?

This is exactly what happens to magicians who follow the old procedures. We might say that human consciousness is nothing like the spirits’, but certain mechanisms are universal and slavery is hated by the denizens of the Other Side as much as by any other powerful and independent mind. And this is what we are dealing with in pacts and rites of evocation - powerful beings, often older than mankind.

To request their assistance for required tasks and favors, you need to show not only power and authority but also respect and gratitude, and you need to thank and reward them for their service. A coin or another valuable object, a drop of blood, incense, alcohol, and other offerings that can win the spirits’ favors, will come useful here. Sometimes they will ask you for a specific sacrifice - this has to be done in order to proceed with the pact, or you can decide not to go further if you cannot fulfill the request. Lucifer himself is the most powerful archetype of freedom and independence.

He despises slavery and inspires the Initiate to be proud, self­ reliant and independent of bonds and attachments, be it mundane or spiritual - religions, dogmas, laws, limitations, and relationships that bind you in your progress.

He does not want to be worshipped, called “master”, or put in place of the monotheistic deity in your personal devotion system. His teachings prompt you to seek your Godhood not by spending eternity as a footstool at his Throne but in aspiration to establish your own Throne in the Void and to be the lord and master of your own universe. He does not bow to anyone and the same attitude he inspires in Initiates of his adversarial path.”

=================================

I broke up the paragraphs so it isn’t so forum word-wallish. Yeah, I’m not fond of blasting, caging, forcing etc. These spirits I want to resonate, vibrate, flow and fill me with their current, essence, and being but it’s asked for in a respectful and friendly manner. And it’s honest without terror. There might be excitement and a bit of a rush though in the anticipation of a connection though, imho.

So, if not a master relationship I’d say it’s an alliance or integral part in the larger mechanism as a whole. Each pracritioner has their reasons for why, how, when, what, where they practice and whom they form their works with. It may be ones personal works functions indirectly towards a greater goal in the craft.

Perhaps, for myself, focussing so much on the gates opening isn’t what I should be doing. There’s obviously smaller works to build up to that. I was looking through the division of the 5 gates in the book of Azazel and that made me ponder which individual area would be better to approach and divine. Which do I resonate with more on the smaller scale instead of being overwhelmed with them all as a whole. And that’s only the 5 gates revealed to EA and others. There are 4 more yet to be revealed? (Or kept secret maybe)??

Oh, I’m going off topic. The simple is religious coercion coupled with fear and shame by established religions.

Does anyone have a large poll to see who views them as evil, as good, as neutral, doesn’t think of them(or not aware), or doesn’t care believing it all mumbo-jumbo?

5 Likes

With Christians it wouldn’t matter. They even attack other sects or Mormons or The Jewish faith. The worse are the televangelistic preachers that stem from Puritanism esp Jonathan Edwards. I esp recall the works “ " Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
The ten lovely bullet points:
“ Most of the sermon’s text consists of ten “considerations”:

1. God may cast wicked men into [hell] at any given moment.

2. The wicked deserve to be cast into hell. Divine justice does not prevent God from destroying the Wicked at any moment.

3. The wicked, at this moment, suffer under God’s condemnation to Hell.

4. The wicked, on earth—at this very moment—suffer a sample of the torments of Hell. The wicked must not think, simply because they are not physically in Hell, that God (in Whose hand the wicked now reside) is not—at this very moment—as angry with them as He is with those miserable creatures He is now tormenting in hell, and who—at this very moment—do feel and bear the fierceness of His wrath.

5. At any moment God shall permit him, [Satan] stands ready to fall upon the wicked and seize them as his own.

6. If it were not for God’s restraints, there are, in the souls of wicked men, hellish principles reigning which, presently, would kindle and flame out into hellfire.

7. Simply because there are not visible means of death before them at any given moment, the wicked should not feel secure.

8. Simply because it is natural to care for oneself or to think that others may care for them, men should not think themselves safe from God’s wrath.

9. All that wicked men may do to save themselves from Hell’s pains shall afford them nothing if they continue to reject Christ.

10. God has never promised to save us from Hell, except for those contained in [Christ] through the covenant of Grace.”

Some of the quotes:
“The bow of God’s wrath is bent, and the arrow made ready on the string, and justice bends the arrow at your heart, and strains the bow, and it is nothing but the mere pleasure of God, and that of an angry God, without any promise or obligation at all, that keeps the arrow one moment from being made drunk with your blood.”

“ The devils watch them … like greedy hungry lions that see their prey, and expect to have it, but are for the present kept back; if God should withdraw his hand by which they are restrained, they would in one moment fly upon their poor souls. “

“The wrath of God is like great waters that are dammed for the present; they increase more and more, and rise higher and higher, till an outlet is given; and the longer the stream is stopped, the more rapid and mighty is its course, when once it is let loose.”

“The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider or some loathsome insect over the fire, abhors you, and is dreadfully provoked; his wrath towards you burns like fire; he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else, but to be cast into the fire … you are ten thousand times so abominable in his eyes, as the most hateful and venomous serpent is in ours.“

Jonathan Edwards

Now sure that’s taken partly out of context of the entire sermon but it’s message was definitely to instill terror and shame into those attending and that they MUST surrender to Christ (and in a roundabout way to THE CHURCH) or SUFFER ETERNALLY.

2 Likes

Social conditioning. The herd mentality. People are afraid of what they don’t understand, esp as it relates to age old personified expressions of raw power and potential. That being said, if the gates we seek to open were able to be entered willy nilly and without consequences to the disrespectful and ignorant, then there would be no need for gate keepers.

Anything of true value in this world or any other, has gatekeepers. What is of higher value than ascent? Nothing imo, so it is guaranteed to have layer upon layer of guardians at the gate to test the metal of those who seek to enter. It is true in the mundane world when it comes to training with great masters, whether martial arts or spiritual guru type…and it is true in the astral.

Not everyone has the temperament and personal courage to walk the path of power. Many barriers stand in the way, one such is fear and dogmas. Confidence testing. Rites of initiation and trials of all sorts. Many freak outs send people running back into the comfortable ignorance of the known.

IMO, there are really only 2 major fears out there which must be overcame. The fear of a lack of acceptance and the fear of the unknown. All other fears can be stripped down to these to simple statements. Those on the path of magick and ascent, will absolutely have to say this two headed monster and keep pushing forward no matter what test comes there way.

2 Likes

I wonder the same too. And have personally been thinking about it too. Especially where Im in a piggy in the middle situation too. So this is just my pennies worth and my thoughts from my experience in the time mulling it over.
When I was a small child a spirt did me a kindness in short*. I think that has played a big role in my life among other things/factors.
But I was brought up as the RHP being the only ‘true’ and ‘good’ way… so I decided and to fill the hunger I went deep into being overly pious in that way… In short in the long run it only brought me hurt shame and bad luck to the point of breakdown…was I not doing it right? Was God angry? Was I too sinful? Oh but bad things happen to good people so one gets their reward in heaven… look at the story of Job was some of the answers. (But being stuck in a Rhp cult made things worse )But I dedicated my life and emotions to it?
So a desperate situation/courtcase against a bunch of 'rhp’ers forced me into opening up again and explore abit of the LHP… there needed to be some balance and justice…
Fast forward, what I have found from the lhp spirits/demons have only been kindness whenever I dipped in. It left me with a small crisis -so what I thought was good is bad and advertised as bad is good? So where did this consept begin that they were bad is my question? Is there a reason that this is firmly widespread? Or is it because they have more power and they don’t want the masses to have this information. That would be deep…
May the rhp and lhp can be exampled to passive and expressive forces. Rhp being all ‘love and light’ even if someone robs you and throws you down a well… Love and light is lovely but the other end of the spectrum it wont do much if sh*t hits the fan. There is a place for “passivity” but not much in the situation the world is now… there is gonna be a shift. We’ve been too much taken advantage of.
On the other hand the lhp ,the freeky unknown, it has a energy of movement and change that has shown more results and reliable (or is it just reeling us in) and what we need at the moment to pick ourselves up and own our power. Is it the forbidden secret knowledge and it is calling us? Will we be the ‘wicked ones’ banned from heaven? Or is it all empty threats? Or shouldnt be life simple to all and access whatever fits naturally? So why as kids were we afraid of the dark if there was nothing to be afraid of? So much litrature. Theyre tricksters, they will pull us in and dupe us… Anyway back to the polarity aspect of lhp being a more ‘moving/doing’ more ‘there’ energy I expect to the other end to much “electricity gives one electric shock” so to speak and even its so amazing can cause caos?
Or maybe both one of a big picture spectrum somehow. Im yet to figure this cute but twisted world and how both can be put in one sentance…
So I was left fighting with my ethics and morals of rhp and its bitter experiences, and of being “good” and wanting heaven ( cus Im a good soul ya’know lol) and in between the yearning and excitement of the spirt world that embodied the lhp kindness but bad reputation… Go figure.
If only knew the full “TRUTH” life would be there on the table and I could choose and find a way to reign all the info that is out there in.
If all else fails follow your heart…
My love for the spirit world is calling me and so is the lhp. … X

2 Likes

Because they free you of the lies created to bind humanity and dumb us down. People fear what they don’t know. And the people who DO know, the ones in control- they fear people awakening to the truth.

-X

3 Likes

This is a somewhat complicated situation.

ONE: The traditional religious authorities (priests, imams, pandits, rabbis) need fear to keep their people in line. So they provide a very comprehensive view of the demonic world, which can only be vanquished through righteousness and that religion’s sacred objects (whether physical or vocalized). Having only Satan around as the bogeyman isn’t captivating enough: he needs to look more powerful by having whole armies doing his evil and anti-God bidding.

TWO: In religious systems that are binary, if there are angels then logically there must be anti-angels, hence demons. It’s part of the supposed balance of the universe. We know the universe is not so bipolar or binary.

THREE: As some have mentioned, the beings called demons are more rooted in reality than idealism. They help those that truly work with them to break free from society’s lies and blindfolds. But this also threatens the established hierarchies (both spiritual and political). These hierarchies try to forbid their people from even getting close to demons lest they lose their flock

FOUR: With all of the above rationalization and conditioning, people view demons as evil or horrific, and the demons indulge in our inaccurate expectations with glee.

But note: this fear is NOT natural. It’s taught. There’s a story I love. Many people say that after prayer, we have to fold up and put away the prayer rug or, if it’s left in place, fold one of the corners. Otherwise, Shaitan will come and pray on it. One day, a mother comes home to find all of the prayer rugs spread out around the house. She asks her child why he did this, and he replied, “Well, I thought if Shaitan came and prayed, and he prayed enough, he’ll submit to Allah.” What this shows is that fear of Shaitan is taught, not inborn (despite what theologians may teach).

3 Likes

This one is beautiful, thank you for quoting it! I love that definition.

religious background

1 Like

They of course claimed that demons were evil, dangerous, and just wanted to deceive people.

Try asking an old German what s/he thinks about Hebrews. The answer won’t be nice.

Try asking an American what s/he thinks about North Korea, or Africa. The answer won’t be nice.

Try asking a Chinese person what s/he thinks about Americans. The answer won’t be nice.

Fuck Canada.

My point is taken from Alister Crowley’s book Magic Without Tears, the chapter titled (excuse me) “Monsters, Nxxxxxx, Jews.” To summarise: Crowley said no matter who or what you are, you’re one of these to someone. Every ‘race’ goes through it in their own ways.

(Jk about Canada. They have nice strip clubs.)

4 Likes

Track the result of their deeds.