Who is Satan?

Simple but on the same time a difficult question.
Who is Satan?
Can Satan be seen as a title given to all the four crown princes of hell? When a Satanist finish his ritual he always say “This is done! Hail Satan!”.

6 Likes

This is another one that will get different answers depending on the worldview of the respondent.

Personally, and not being JCI, which are the religions that invented this idea, I’m aware of Satan as the general whipping boy and straw man those religions use to scare and control people, and also dehumanize them to make torturing them easier.

As such I think it’s a construct, or egregore, that can be summoned as an aggregate with other entities (as in, using it as a ‘mask’) or as the personification of ‘evil’, or as the personification of ‘the adversary’ or whatever you like as a creator being. When you summon it you help create it.

I don’t believe for a second it’s it’s own sovereign entity and I have no use for it.

3 Likes

Satan literally means the accuser in Hebrew and that’s why I though it could be given to the four crown princes of hell. Belial the accuser of world denying, Lucifer the accuser of ignorance, Flerious the accuser of passivity and Leviathan the accuser of order.

7 Likes

Now, that’s some accusing I could get behind :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I’ve worked with Satan, I believe the Satan to be Satanel, a fallen angel

4 Likes

I believe it to be a title as student was suggesting earlier. I don’t know much about it however.

2 Likes

Academically Satan does not exist, it was a title given to various Gods during time where Christianity was spreading, although there is a fallen angel in the book of enoch 2 Satanael, if Satan was real he would be the only -legit- one.

Any demon called Satan would simply be so by title.

It was LHP who took the title and formed an egregore around it and ran with it, Satanael and Satan I do not believe are the same because Satanael was always a Angel/Fallen Angel he never became a demon.

3 Likes

Victim ;)))

no, its a title. but it has in my eyes lost all its value since anyone can claim this and that in “current”, even i was/am satanist…

but that is what its “deeper” knowledge always was… to become singular and selfsufficient…

1 Like

Well said. :smiley:

To steal from Crowley, Satan is the God of the people you don’t like.

4 Likes

I actually don’t believe in a literal Satan or Lucifer. In fact, I attribute Satan to Azazel and Lucifer to Samyaza.

But I also don’t believe that the infernal realm follows a single monarchal figure. I believe that there are several governing figures, either ruling over different dominions independently or joined together as some form of tribunal. However, I also believe that demons embrace individualism. So, their government (if there is one) would reflect this.

2 Likes

Infernal has more than just demons residing within its borders, it has humans, angels, djinn, and various other entities, and like any nation it has its laws and consequences for breaking those laws. Demons can be very strict in the laws they set for their home. Though the infernal also have various councils but at the top of those councils is the founder of the infernal being Lucifer, Beelzebub, and oftentimes Lilith.

4 Likes

I don’t think so. From what I understand, Samael earned the name, “Satan” for leading the rebellion against God and becoming the emperor of Hell. Therefore, I’m certain that when people say, “Hail Satan”, they are referring to Satan alone.

1 Like

Most who say “hail satan” go off the idea that satan is a entity in its own, Samael was one of many entities given the name Satan (title wise) but he’s not the most notable one, that would be Lucifer, Samael and Lucifer are and always have been entities in their own right (their mythologies)

Satan however, has been dated back to a title turned entity, which at this point can be seen as an entity/egregore, or simply short version of the fallen angel Satanael which personally I like to keep it separate since Satanael gives a way different feel than the title.

6 Likes

According to the Abramelin he’s one of the 4 princes. It’s probably my favorite book so I’m biased to its teachings.

3 Likes

That is…incorrect. Samael has never rebelled against God. In Judaic mythology, where he originates, he performs his duty with God’s permission. Samael gets mixed up with the Christian concept of Satan only because, in his mythology, he is the chief of “the satans,” which, in Judaism, are the prosecuting angels that try to convince God a soul does not belong in Heaven. He’s not evil, and he’s not fallen.

7 Likes

I never said that Satan is evil nor do I believe that he is. Just wanted to clarify on that.

, Samael is a fallen angel in my view, why else would he be married to Lilith

1 Like

You keep repeating yourself, man, but the fact remains that, regardless of what you personally believe, he is not, and has never been, a fallen angel within his mythology. In the original Judaic lore, Samael and Lilith performed their duties with God’s permission, making neither of them “fallen.”

It was only hundreds of years later, when the concept of Lilith being Adam’s first wife first appeared in a satirical work, that the notion of her being the “Mother of Monsters” came into being.

6 Likes

Oh ok