Which deities rule over the Celtic pantheon?

Just like Ishtar and Inanna are a major deity within the Sumerian, Akkadian, Babylonian, and Mesopotamian religions and therefore have a lot of authority, who are the Celtic deities who hold a lot of power and authority, especially over other Celtic gods and goddesses?

2 Likes

@Nightside has been looking into this.

The answer depends on which Celts you mean. The mythologies of the Irish, Welsh, Gaulish, Pictish etc etc are all a bit varied.

For the Irish, you probably want Danu, the goddess from whom all the gods are made.
For the Welsh, Brigitte is a primary goddess to connect with first. I don’t really know too much about the other tribes pantheons.

2 Likes

Dagda is the good God, Danu the mother goddess, Cerridwen of the moon, Cernunnos of the earth, Branwen, Ogmah, Aine, just a few.

1 Like

Lugh and Brigid are possibilities as well.

1 Like

Depends on what you mean by Celtic. Each sub culture that we would lump under Celts had it’s own set of Gods each with there own pantheon head. The Gaelic Pantheon was different from the Brythonic Pantheon who in turn was different than the Gaulic Pantheons etc & etc… Here’s a list of Brythonic Deities if your interested. The Gods and Goddesses

1 Like

For the Welsh is goddess Don goddess mother

1 Like

Don, Danu and Dana are the same entity. Different regional names.

1 Like

I’m looking at the Welsh Celts.

So Brigitte is probably the one to call on? As in the same Maman Brigitte the loa? Or should she be approached differently in this case?

1 Like

Not sure if there is a head persay but your best bet I think would be Math Ap Mathonwy God of Magic, Sorcery, and Enchantment. Here’s some more information about him and the other known welsh gods. As for Brigitte I have heard they are the same but have not looked deeply into it.

2 Likes

As it is with Matcha, Bad and Morrighan, so it is with Brigid, there are three aspects to the goddess, however there are three sisters named Brigid.

So if you’re looking for goddesses, there you go.

It was pretty animistic, but Dagda and Boine are the closest to what you’re looking for original poster.
I’ve verified this through study.

I know Math is like a father to me, we are from the same family, he is my distant ancestor.
I know him because I saw him in person. he is a cousin of jesus. I made the genealogy of Math ap Mathonwy.

2 Likes

for the list of celtic gods and goddesses they speak about it in the book celtic myth & magick.

2 Likes