Where am I failing in my application of direct magick?

Due to a few evocations kind of fucking me over recently, I decided to take a step back and start focusing on other areas.

After talking to Grand Demon Martal, getting a few readings from members here, and generally doing some more studying and reading, I decided on improving on my direct magick abilities, which were pretty much non-existent.

I attempted to make my first experiments as easy as possible for myself: I choose a communication spell from Christopher Penczak’s “Instant Magick”, and picked a target that would be easy to influence: a dude that’s been head over heels for me for the past, well, years now.

Long story short, I can’t even get an obsessed weirdo who never leaves me alone to text me on my command. Fuck.

Here’s how I go about it:

1. Get myself into a light meditative state and focus clearly on what I want to happen.

2. Raise energy, to the point where it’s literally aching inside me.

3. Mold the energy into a ball, giving it specific instructions. While I’m doing this, I’m seeing the person I want to affect being bound up by spiritual chains so they have no choice but to obey.

4. Release the energy and let it do what it needs to do.

To date, it hasn’t worked yet. I could maybe see some doubt on my part causing problems, but it’s not like I sit there and stew in worry. And like E.A. says, to consider yourself a god, you have to act like a god. Bu it’s hard to have faith in a spell before you’ve proven to yourself that you’re successful with that type of magick. It’s a nasty cycle.

And I’m not saying I’m an expert at energy manipulation, but I’ve paid my dues, done my exercises and homework, and feel pretty comfortable wielding it. Getting it to actually do what I want is another matter entirely, no matter how much focus I shove into it.

Any thoughts, BALG? See any weak links in my chain?

1 Like

Opinion only, usual disclaimer that I don’t know the full situation and I’m nowhere near psychic enough to read it from a post - 'kay? :slight_smile:

1. Perhaps this guy was obsessed with the old you, the pre-magick you, who may (I’m generalising) have had less of a vibe of personal confidence and power. You might not think you’ve changed, but you almost certainly have, and maybe that’s why he’s lost interest.

Maybe (because you said he’s an “obsessed weirdo”) he could even be slightly dangerous to you (spreading rumours and stuff, or sending strong hate vibes, if not physically) and your increased personal power is causing his own guides and allies and stuff (even the most boring people have them) to ward him off from you.

And on the same theme, maybe some higher part of you is stepping in to make sure he stays away? If you don’t like him and didn’t like him, for a start you could do better, and also you might have a subconscious revulsion to him that’s driving him away and undermining your magick?

1. Getting one specific person to like you is one of the harder bits of magick, almost all the books I’ve ever read say that because you need to over-ride a lot of that person’s emotions, basic attraction factors, and their will, so would it be possible to change it to “I want a guy with X-colour hair or wearing such-and-such type clothing to come on to me in the next 3 days”?

If, as I believe, magick happens on the causal level instead of re-writing chains of events at their final stages, then the more chances you give to get your desired outcome to happen, the more possible routes you give it to manifest, the more likely you are to get a result.

Oh man, I feel so bad Lady Eva. You give the most thoughtful replies (which I very much appreciate!) but I fear I was not very clear in my OP.

My goal wasn’t to get him to like me, or have any feelings for me. I just picked him and a communication spell because it seems like it would be the easiest type of thing to start out with. I could not care less if I ever hear from him again, I just thought it would be easier to manipulate and thus have a successful spell if the guy was already fixated on me.

Does that make more sense? I could have chosen any old person, I just went what I thought was easiest because, well, you know what they say, “magick often takes the path of least resistance”.

Your last paragraph, however, caught my eye. Could you elaborate a bit more? If I’m understanding correctly, you believe the less general you are, the more successful the spell is? That’s an interesting point of view, because I always leaned towards the opposite: you better ask for exactly what you want, otherwise you might get something you didn’t intend. Am I misunderstanding you?

I think you are making it way to complex. Every time I was successful with telepathy/thought projection, whatever you wanna call it, it was more of an action than a ritual.

Deciding what to do and being clear about it I may take time, but when performing it, I was done within moments. Now this was for getting results within a very short time frame, from instant reactions to within minutes, so it may not apply to long term or complex activities.

Here is what worked for me:

1. Hold intent clearly with no other thoughts.
  2. Spike emotional intensity as high as possible, as fast as possible, to a critical mass, should take no more than 1-2 seconds.
  3. Do this with a pure knowing that this is also occurring within the targets consciousness as well. I used a visualization as if my mind was merged inside the others mind, like I became them momentarily.

I recommend practicing on random observable targets (like EA mentions, in a public mall or grocery, etc.) with innocuous commands (for example: Touch your ear!) and do it until you get verifiable, repeatable results. Once you succeed with it, especially when you can do it over and over again repeatedly on a visible target, you will lose the last traces of doubt. Then you can start using it as a serious tool.

1 Like

That’s okay! 'Tis the net. Edit to add, what Narius said is great too, again you’re leaving nice wide channels at first for things to happen.

The first bit still kind of applies - maybe he was fixated on the old you, etc.

It’s also possible he’s picking up that it could be dangerous if he fixates on you now, something he may not have been getting before?

You may not have wanted him to go “ZOMG I lurve her” :o) but there will have to be a causal chain to get him to text you - I know from texting & calling guys I liked who didn’t like me or who I wasn’t sure about, it takes a LOT of nerve and courage to make that effort, and if his feelings have changed he’s not going to bother going back for more rejection, if he’s had plenty from you before. He seems like a very hard target in that respect, if he’s come on to you and you’ve rejected him then you have to overcome that as well as trigger a desire to do it.

it also seems like a matter of your deepest will, sure you want to see your magick take effect, but I’m fairly certain it’s easier to manifest something you’re truly in alignment about wanting than something you don’t really care about - values clash and all that going on, which can undermine it.

Your last paragraph, however, caught my eye. Could you elaborate a bit more? If I'm understanding correctly, you believe the less general you are, the more successful the spell is? That's an interesting point of view, because I always leaned towards the opposite: you better ask for exactly what you want, otherwise you might get something you didn't intend. Am I misunderstanding you?

This is one of those things loads of authors and experts kind of disagree about, one will say “Be specific” and the next will say, “Ask for what you need, and then allow the forces of magick/the universe etc work out the details.”

My model is that you need to ask for the end result you want in very fine detail, e.g., say I wanted to buy a really nice leather coat, but then leave the possible routes by which it will come to me completely open, so if the lady next door gives it to me because it doesn’t fit her, that’s fine, if I win £200 on a competition which is enough to get one I’ve seen online, that’s fine, if I find it in a thrift store for £5 which I can easily afford, that’s fine too.

This is why I worry about sort of “testing” magick, because to know 100% for certain your results came from the working you did, you have to kind of lock down every stage, and I don’t think it works too well. JMO but could you think of something you really do want, not just some skeeze you don’t really like anyway, and maybe (at first) not someone specific, and do some work towards that?

If magick works at the causal level and not by re-writing final outcomes, you get more result the more kind of channels you leave open for it to come to you, if you see what I mean. Just my theory though and I’m not promoting it as Da Law! :wink:

In my opinion you’re wasting resources with the ball and energy. You’re wasting awareness on creating the ball and focusing on energy. All that awareness should be on your target.

Keep in mind the goal you’re trying to accomplish happens accidentally all the time. People think of someone, and all of a sudden they call. They weren’t doing anything else, only focusing on the person who called. Put all of your focus into the person.

I recently managed to land a job and got the call within minutes of setting my intention. I describe what happened here
[url=http://occultcorpus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26534-the-big-empty-following-an-emotional-purge/]http://occultcorpus.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26534-the-big-empty-following-an-emotional-purge/[/url]

I agree with Narius and The Cusp your making this too big a deal. I have had plenty of experiences where only focusing on my intent produced results. Often this is done as I go about how I’ll plan a ritual or spell. Even if it is not overly elaborate I’ll go over the details in my mind. “I’ll need this to do that, this is symbolic of this and that relates to the energies of whatchamacallit” kind of thing. I’ve also had great results just using visualization and living the visualization as it occurs.

One other thing, and this isn’t directed directly at you Black Lamb as I have no idea of your approach so take it how you want. In my own experience when you treat this stuff as a recipe or science project it loses results. When you go in it thinking I’m about to do some magick, this may get wild, am I ready for this? My results have been better. If the hair on the back of your neck doesn’t stand up when you get ready to get down then you might want to reevaluate what your doing and why your doing it. I love this stuff but sometimes there are far simpler ways of doing things, seeing what you can make happen is as much about enjoying what you do as seeing if you can make it happen.

[quote=“NariusV, post:4, topic:2888”]Here is what worked for me:

1. Hold intent clearly with no other thoughts.
  2. Spike emotional intensity as high as possible, as fast as possible, to a critical mass, should take no more than 1-2 seconds.
  3. Do this with a pure knowing that this is also occurring within the targets consciousness as well. I used a visualization as if my mind was merged inside the others mind, like I became them momentarily.[/quote]

I just tried this. I got my target to stand up after about 25-35 seconds of trying this. It could just be a coincidence so I will try this out again.

Interesting note, in the seconds it took me to build a critical mass of emotion (about 10-12 seconds so I need to work on it.) I noticed that I was VERY interested in standing up myself, as if it was THE MOST important thing in the world at that moment. After I “Sent off” the command (for lack of a better term) my target got a bit fidgety and then stood up and left the chair he was sitting in about 25-35 seconds after the completion of the mini ritual.

As a side effect I felt a bit strange as though my mind was a wave as I was retuning to baseline, a small loss of equilibrium.
I was surprised, this is a very short time for one to complete the basics of a ritual (clear mind, focus on intent, raise energy and emotion, and then send it off and let go) I wonder just how complex of actions I can get others to do with this technique, as in “Can I do more than effect impulse decisions like ‘Stand up.’ in my target?”

Thanks Narius, I will be trying this again soon. (after I finish writing a paper)

EDIT: interesting side note I just noticed while rereading this. I don’t quite sound like myself. I don’t know my target, but perhaps I caught a bit of his mannerisms in the merging of our minds?

A couple options… state changes ala Tony Robbins with anchors can help when beginning. Acting exercises, Playing your self like an instrument with emotional scales, etc. . Mastering physiology/emotional states has countless uses.

Another tip:

If you want to affect something regarding chakras, I’ve had results with visualization and connecting a tube between your chakra (if the result is something about you)/third eye (if not) and theirs. Raise energy related to the chakra and send it through to them.

Results: Produced jolts, shivers, and once made their stomach growl.

I see! That makes a lot more sense, I was under the impression that you were saying not to ask for specific outcomes. I tend to agree with what you’ve outlined here, though. Best not to get in magick’s way when you can’t see the full picture, right?

No, I think this is something I’m guilty of. Part of that stems from the fact so many magicians stress keeping a journal and looking at what does and doesn’t work, and the fact that I believe magick is very much a science, and something that will be able to be quantified by science someday. That PoV has sort of taken over, and I don’t have that kind of exhilarated reaction anymore unless I’m going into an evocation I’ve spent extra time preparing for. Another part of this mentality was embracing E.A. “no god but you” philosophy, but I digress, that’s for another topic.

I’ve been keeping your words in mind these past few days, for sure :slight_smile:

[quote=“Sevarn304, post:10, topic:2888”]Another tip:

If you want to affect something regarding chakras, I’ve had results with visualization and connecting a tube between your chakra (if the result is something about you)/third eye (if not) and theirs. Raise energy related to the chakra and send it through to them.

Results: Produced jolts, shivers, and once made their stomach growl.[/quote]

Interesting, Sevarn. Have you been in the same room/area as them when this is occurring, or is it pure visualization?

Anyway, I attempted to replicate NariusV’s methods at work on Friday. One thing I am naturally good at, for better or for worse, is raising emotions quickly. And those emotions quickly turned to rage as I found myself failing again and again (so much for all that meditating I do, right?) I kept getting angrier and angrier each failed attempt, so that eventually I was slamming so much energy into a person, I must have given some nasty headaches, and I was drained. I was starting to worry there was a serious blockage happening somewhere, which shouldn’t be happening with all the chakra work I’ve been doing.

BUT here’s where it gets weird. The next day, every time I went to call someone, they called me first. All I had to do was reach for the phone, and they were already ringing me. There’s no way in hell that’s a coincidence, especially since I can’t remember the last time something like that happened to me, if at all. But I can’t tell if that’s the spirits’ way of getting a message to me, or the universe just trololoing me. So now I see how easy it can be firsthand, but I still feel like I have no control over it myself. It’s like it’s mocking me.

Oh well. If magick were easy, everyone would believe and practice it, right? I plan on going somewhere to practice as suggested when I next get the chance, somewhere that isn’t work. My co-workers were starting to notice me spacing out and asking if I was alright.

Thanks for all the great tips, I hope to have more fruitful results to share in the near future :slight_smile:

I’m not going to get into the whole shpeal, but magic IS rather easy, just also rather dangerous. But aren’t most things? And religion… don’t get me started.

Too much to say.

Anyway, yes, I was in the same room. If you count hallway/street as a room.

By focusing only on your target, you leave open all paths. A text or a phone call are the most likely outcomes, the path of least resistance if you will. If you have enough power, enough attention focused into your target, they could very well show up at your door.

Exactly.

question. I am a fan of the energy ball tech that black lamb stated earlier. So far this convo has taken some what of an uncle chuckie vibe. Cool, I dig that. But what about using the energy ball tech on something…like a car or anything other than messing with people? Would some of you still stand by that?

I mean it wouldnt be directed in a specific make and model just to throw in the “magick comes in least path of resistance” thing. Just a nice car.

To explain I would use the energy ball as kind of a focal point to build up energy for release. Like seeing my self driving with a nice interior and going a long distance to make sure the engine is good… Or would you focus on a specific dealership, do more homework and focus on the salesman.

How would you go about it outside of the parameters of psionics?

It’s difficult for me to imagine a technique that does not include intent and focus on a particular goal. I think that is the key overlap between many techniques. If using an energy ball helps you achieve the states necessary to get your result then fire it up :slight_smile:

no, you are correct intent and focus has to be there, especially when you are creating something from thin air. Literally. I apologize if I have stated otherwise.

When I am dealing with a person its a direct line to the target without a middle man. But when its something quite tangible without a consciousness I go for the build up in the energy ball, release it, forget about it and when I review my notes I go back and write down whatever the results were.

Even when dealing with sigils I have gotten results with the energy ball technique.

In a situation like that could a person get “better” and quicker results by cutting out the energy ball? That is what Im after and Im sure the OP (and anyone else) could benefit from that.

Im trying to get to the point where I can bypass a formal ritual on the fly without using entities. Then leave the formal settings when dealing with entities when the need arises.

[quote=“king, post:15, topic:2888”]To explain I would use the energy ball as kind of a focal point to build up energy for release. Like seeing my self driving with a nice interior and going a long distance to make sure the engine is good… Or would you focus on a specific dealership, do more homework and focus on the salesman.

How would you go about it outside of the parameters of psionics?[/quote]

Personally I’d go for the end result to avoid choking the channels it might come to me, and to give the universe wiggle room for how it’s going to arrive.

[quote=“king, post:17, topic:2888”]In a situation like that could a person get “better” and quicker results by cutting out the energy ball? That is what Im after and Im sure the OP (and anyone else) could benefit from that.

Im trying to get to the point where I can bypass a formal ritual on the fly without using entities. Then leave the formal settings when dealing with entities when the need arises.[/quote]

This is where your own experiments are the only answer. Welcome to you fellow magician. :slight_smile:

I think the answer is yes, and. The ‘and’ part is what I can’t answer. Some of what I do operates outside of my own conscious mind so… do it and journal the results. I think you are already well on the way since you’re already doing that.

One thing I can say is that if you make a practice of building and releasing the energy ball to the point it becomes automatic, then you can recognize the technique for what it really is. What is your state prior to using it? What is your state after a successful application? What really changed? The energy ball (or whatever method) causes one or more things to happen. Once you know what those are, you could go directly for those state changes.

I’m just restating what you said as I understand it.

I seen this thread as recognizing and obstacle and diggin through the tool bag to find the right tool. A crescent wrench may do the job but channel locks may be better.

That being said everytime I hear about the energy ball technique its always in some video or books as a tool for training. I just worked with it in a way where it happened to fit in practicle applications. I was just wondering if any else has done the same.

In my workings it usually ends up being a mish mash of random techniques that is altered to the end goal. Yes, everytime its different.

Unless I am following a pathworking that whatever I am working with is accustom to materialize. However that really doesnt matter if I cant get into the right mind set. I just do it as a sign of respect.

My state prior to the working is always different, so I couldnt really say.
My state during the working is pretty much like taking psychedelics.
My state after the working is damn near always in fatigue, which leads to a recovery of an exalted state that I recognize the feeling. Cant really descibe it I something one has to experience to know the feeling.