What makes magic baneful? Do certain acts carry more "backlash" than others?

What makes magic baneful?

What I think based on what I’ve read:

• Baneful magic is magic that effects the will and trajectory/destiny of someone else. It seems to be used typically for acts of harm, but stuff like love magic could also fall under the category. As opposed to something like money magic, in which money can come in various ways, baneful is specifically directed at an individual/group to influence their specific life.

Does this sound accurate?

Do certain acts carry more “backlash” than others?

-Rather than just jumping into trying to do serious harm to an individual, is it safer to perform smaller acts? Cause them to become anxious, their hair to fall out, to fail at work or in school, etc., rather than jumping into something very serious? My intuition tells me yes, but I am not sure. I see many different descriptions of possible backlash, some saying it doesn’t exist, some say every action will cause a reaction, etc. I think one constant is that it is said that feeling guilt is something that causes backlash.

How much protection is required?
Is a simple request to Michael, and a petition to a Goetic spirit I am close to (For instance, ask Bael to hide and cover me from backlash) enough? Is it necessary to spend months learning protection acts, assuming that I call a spirit to strip down their defenses & guardians first (if I am working against someone who does not practice). As far as I know, protection is more to protect from others who practice and are working against you, correct?

One final question… does petitioning someone to experience failure in all things they attempt until they apologize or reconcile with me sound like a decent first step into baneful? I think it will carry less backlash, because I am not taking away anything from them, they are free to ask for forgiveness (even if it is for my selfish reasons), thus they aren’t condemned to any fate

Backlash usually comes first from the target’s own protections, natural or otherwise.
It’s recommended to do a divination to check whether your work would be successful and if they have protections.

2 Likes

Baneful is just a category. It’s a bucket that tells you it’s for malicious purposes, however that person defines that. The details depend on the person.

But you seem to be concerned that it’s crossing into an area you’re afraid to go into and that by defining it, it somehow lessens.

My mother self-sabotages. Always have. Always will. And if she can drag anyone else down with her, she’ll do that, too. I periodically “bless” her so she then has to scramble to get back to her “normal”. I consider this a baneful act. No Death spell, no calling of “evil” entities. Just a standard “success” spell.

Oh and before I forget, if you’re going to do a baneful working, plan on doing a binding spell and/or other workings to remove their defenses or use them up.

I dont have time to type anytjing else up. Hope this little bit helps. And remember that this is one magician’s opinion. Others may differ.

1 Like