What is this symbol in the occult

I do know that this was used as a symbol called the iron cross which the nazi party used, but I’m pretty sure i’ve seen this in a grimoire can someone clarify on what this is in a magick sense

Sincerely your little devil

Conner Kendall

1 Like

The Iron Cross predates the Nazi era by over a hundred years. It was Germany’s highest military award. What you’ve seen in a grimoire may be the Maltese cross?

4 Likes

Crosses are a pretty universal symbol. In hermetics it represents Megatron’s cube unfolded. This particular version was also worn by the knight’s templar.

2 Likes

I believe it represents the sun, the soldiers of sun (knights Templars) used to have this over their heart chakra, which also represents guarding the heart from satan to avoid black sun.

1 Like

That type of cross with the equal arms and the slightly flared ends can be seen in some sigils as a kind of finial, for example Dantalion, Belial and Bael:

I can’t work out exactly what Agrippa is saying about this but it appears quite often: Heinrich Cornelius Agrippa: his Fourth Book of Occult Philosophy.

5 Likes

Actually in the goetia there are really only a handful of seals that don’t contain flared crosses. Most do.

2 Likes

What can these flared crosses mean they must have a important significance to be in almost all of the goetia sigils :thinking:

2 Likes

The iron cross is symbolic of the correct aligning of the chakras. The top represents the head, the sides represent the arm and the bottom represents the legs.
Azazel was the one who created this symbol as this is an alchemical symbol

1 Like

Really? What does that mean exactly? I was given a strange Cross symbol by Metatron through a dream once, which came some time after I worked with him. I asked him to help give me certain knowledge. I still am not sure what it means exactly.

1 Like

Btw @C.Kendall, this was years ago but if you never fully resolved this - While I was searching for the symbol I saw, I believe I saw the symbol you asked about here in ‘The Secret Grimoire of Turiel’.

I just noticed autocorrect changed it to Megatron which I’m pretty sure is from transformers lol. What I meant to type was *metatron’s cube. If you take all the sides of a 3 dimensional cube and unfold them you get a cross. If you want to gain a better understanding of the cross as understood by the “brethren of the rosy cross” refer to the first chapter of Understanding Aleister Crowley’s Thoth Tarot by Lon Milo Duquette.

2 Likes

Obviously there’s a lot more too it than that but that’s the basic gist of it.

2 Likes

The cross always has been and always will be an astrotheological symbol.

4 Likes

Back then I was just trying to figure out if this variation of the cross had any unique meanings.

Ahh coming back to that! : P I’ll have to pick it up sometime. Unfortunately I could never find the Thoth Tarot sold in my country so I never looked more into the symbolism of that deck specifically.

Very interesting, that gives the Golden Cross some nice esoteric meaning :thinking:
Although the symbol I saw was more similar to the one in this thread. I give a drawing of what it looks like here:

2 Likes

Yeah the image I posted is just 3 images from Duquette’s book that I put next to each other to illustrate what I meant. There’s a whole hell of a lot more to the sequence, both before the cube forms, and after it’s unfolded. Eventually you get the Rosy cross (like on the back of all the thoth cards). It’s honestly the most concise explanation I’ve ever come across. I don’t know what country you’re in but the Thoth deck is sold by a company called US Game Systems. You can order it here: https://www.usgamesinc.com/crowley-thoth-tarot-deck-large.html

1 Like