What is the meaning and significance of horn imagery in the occult?

This is something I’ve been wondering about for a long time. Where exactly do horns and horned imagery factor into magick? They seem to be ubiquitous with certain kinds of entities, from Pan to the Baphomet to Cernunnos. Peter J. Carrol even talked about a “Horned God” appearing in most every ancient shamanic culture in human history independent of each other and described them as symbolic of something normal men do not have but may acquire through magickal initiation, and then did not elaborate. The zodiac features three out of twelve signs, a full quarter, which are directly related to some kind of horned animal. I don’t think I need to even mention the prevalence of goat imagery in the occult. You yourself have incorporated goat skulls into rituals and your visual depictions of entities. Through years of extensive research into the occult I’ve found partial answers and discovered evidence of the roots, but I still have not managed to figure what it -means-. The best I’ve managed is an intuitive realization about the “vibe” of certain types of horns gleaned from people who strongly project either Capricorn, Aries, or Taurus energies and what is expressed in their eyebrows. I was hoping you might have some insight which has escaped me, perhaps a more lucid answer than the fleeting “vibes” I’ve observed. What do the horns mean?