What is it about this forum and it's people?

Having been all around so many traditions and spiritual practices I have found that there seems to be more people around here that actually get it. I’m not saying this forum doesn’t have it’ fair share of the lunatic fringe, the grandiose role player or the out right delusional but not any more than some of the more so called “legitimate” organized orders and groups. Maybe it’s because you have to be pretty bold and secure in your views to frequent a LHP forum. Although the LHP gets a bad wrap from all the mainstream occult groups it just seems like there are more out of the box thinkers that have the capacity to see more of the universe for what it is. Which is probably why I hang around here rather than with the Golden Dawn or any of those type of groups. Most the mainstream groups seem to be set in their ways. Just rambling I guess.

14 Likes

It’s a melting pot of different views and belief systems, which gives people the freedom to disagree and discuss different views.

There is some element of groupthink in some ways, but there’s such a multitude of knowledge here that people get to explore new ways of thought, instead of being actively or passively nudged to buy into the groupthink in order to feel accepted. People might challenge you for posting something odd or out of the box, but you won’t be excommunicated for exploring new beliefs, rather you are usually encouraged to grow, explore, and think for yourself.

Also, member moderation. :stuck_out_tongue:

19 Likes

I believe it may be because it’s not just one type of magick here. there’s so much to read and write about here and it’s not just one specific thing I guess. it’d be hard to write about demons here if the forum was about angels you know and this got a little bit of everything so people feel more free to write about different things without feeling judged maybe. I’m just writing what I think

6 Likes

@Veil @Angeela, I think you both nailed it but I’m sure someone else will pop in with an equally valid yet different observation.

3 Likes

Honestly? I’m not sure.

All I know is, is that there is indeed something unique here :slight_smile:

On a more personal level, I do feel part of my True Will is to help others out around here + outside of here.

4 Likes

BALG attracts people who think for themselves, and everybody here has their own experiences to learn from instead of just parroting others.

2 Likes

I see what you did there :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing:

1 Like

But not just any members, members who earned “trust level 3” by getting enough activity and likes from other members, implying they contribute and know at least a bit more than no, and that’s reinforced by excellent and transparent leadership from Lady_Eva.

Cultures like this are built from the top down, but then maintained by all the stakeholders.

The culture here has shifted over time, but as we’ve recently noticed that I think we’re bearing in mind we want to encourage more upg while staying honest about it. And a bit of self delusional upg in the Journals is part of the learning process, babies and bathwater.

I like that we can disagree and the whole forum doesn’t degenerate into cliques, personal attacks and infighting, that gets modded out fast. There’s only been one ban I disagreed with. People can generally let their inner weird hang out to the extent that is reasonable for others and comfortable for them.

And of course the forum has its own protections and entities working actively to help keep it on an even keel. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the dodgiest posts aren’t up for more than a few minutes before a tl3 member sees it and acts. There’s interconnected support on multiple levels of reality and in the design and culture.

I think finally, it’s important that that culture is focused on serious magick. This isn’t an assylum for people working through major trauma, uwu/kumbaya say anything as long as it’s woke, identity politics, larpers or wannabe gurus. That stuff drives away authentic students of the occult, so by limiting it we retain those people.

6 Likes

I’m new to all this so I find the differences with everyone interesting. I can say that I have learned alot here. I also know that what may work for one person may not work for another so having different perspectives or combining them can be more productive.

1 Like

It helps that there’s so much to learn from people here, everyone comes from so many different paths/perspectives and contributes something from them but what we’ve usually got in common is we’re looking for stuff that works/looking to get better. I’ve personally found more ideas and methods that I’ve had results from here than on any other forum or community, Lady_Eva’s English Evocation method being one example that’s had some crazy results for me.

I’m also glad to check out the thanks and success stories here too, both to see people able to achieve such great results and to get inspired myself by seeing what’s been possible for others. This forum feels like a place where people are generally happy for everyone to succeed and glad to see people develop however they can.

1 Like

I apppreciate Timothy, EAK, Nate and Scarlett, and Lady_Eva. I respect them as much as Eric, Nick, Morgan, Aaron, RO and others as well. I appreciate FLO and BOTA as well as the HOGD/HSGD. All have taught me wuite a bit, as well as independent authors from all backgrounds. I appreciate the gospels as well, though its is a difficult path in todays world to follow even the two basic laws. In short, there is wisdom everywhere, that must be balanced. Currently following mindfulness. The eightfold path is not easier either. There are no shortcuts, but lots of wisdom. To know, to will, to dare, to keep silent. Dare, that seems to be my strongest portion of that cup. There used to be an assumption on my part that younger people would lack knowledge and wisdom. Wrong. Cheers to you all.

1 Like

I came to a point where i literally can’t follow any other place anymore either. I used to like the AO american sect of the GD… but Politics creep into everything everywhere and it’s all so divided nowadays. But i suppose it has been like that with most of life in the past 5 or so years… Oof
Not that i spend a whole lot of time here either. I usually just come here once or twice, hopefully get some knew knowledge or perspective on a subject and move on with my day. I do like the people in here tho. The vast majority of the Regular members are cool.

2 Likes

Yeah, I know how politics have ruined so many things. It starts when you have some kind of hierarchical organization, or some group of people. Its like they worship politics like it is some kind of god or the meaning of life. It has ruined lots and I went through a difficult time because of how it ruined everything. I’ve decided to focus on being true to myself and not worry about toxic people and their toxic politics. If they ban me from their stupid groups, who cares, I don’t need such messed up people in my life anyway.

2 Likes

Honestly this is the first magical place where I’ve felt at home outside of my home lodge. I know we have kind of a mixed reputation in the greater community of magicians, but a lot of magic is like that.

1 Like

I don’t know, but this forum seems to be fairly tolerant of multiple viewpoints, including my own seriously misinformed rants. I’m not really an LHP practitioner, yet I’m here, exploring various aspects of magick and spirituality. And nobody has ordered me off of the site yet, which actually surprises me, as weird as I can get sometimes.

I’m glad to learn about traditions outside of my own rather limited worldview, and am free to explore ideas here without people figuratively kicking me in the teeth for both asking silly questions, and taking my own sweet time to come around to views that most sane people reached decades ago.

I’m thankful to have access to this forum.

2 Likes