Universal Circle

I’m thinking of buying a Universal Circle,
it is still listed in the program catalog. From
what I’ve seen the magician sits or stands
in the center of the circle during the ritual.
My question is wouldn’t it be better to have
2 Universal Circles, one for the magician and
one for the Spirit being evoked with incense,
Spirit Sigil and brandy or whatever offering.
It seems to me that 2 Universal Circles are
necessary. What do You think?

[quote=“mansteel, post:1, topic:4243”]My question is wouldn’t it be better to have
2 Universal Circles, one for the magician and
one for the Spirit being evoked with incense,
Spirit Sigil and brandy or whatever offering.
It seems to me that 2 Universal Circles are
necessary. What do You think?[/quote]

It would be more normal to evoke the spirit into a triangle, you can see EA’s evocation set-up (or one of them, I’m guessing most of us vary things at times, and he’s used different arrangements in some of the videos posted) in this YouTube video of his seminar on evocation at Dixie State College (1:28:38).

If you feel like two circles places the spirit on a more even footing, that makes a degree of sense, I went to a pagan rite once where they summoned a spirit into a circle of rocks and crystals, although that was very different in terms of the approach taken, and there was no element of the black-magickal about it.

Btw I’m not an expert, and I haven’t done the Mastering Evocation course or anything, so I can’t advise you of what’s suggested there, but I do know that circle for the magician and triangle for the spirit is the norm in demonic evocation.

1 Like

It’s interesting that this topic came up now, as I just had a conversation with Hekate on the nature of circles during an evocation last night.

Long story short, I had been having some difficulty understanding Her words during the nightly offering ceremony to Her I perform, rather like my radio receiver was broken and static kept breaking in. I was told by Her that this was because I was not using a circle, and to evoke her using one, specifically a cast rather then physical circle. She also said that I could use a triangle of manifestation or nothing, but if I used something to evoke Her into, it should be a triangle specifically. Lady Eva, I asked about that black hexagram you posted awhile back, and was told that that was appropriate for demons, but not for evoking Her. Interesting, yes?

Anyway, I followed instructions last night and everything worked beautifully. I asked about the role of the circle, and was told that the circle is a symbol of the manifest world, and so represents the magician. Hence the spirit is evoked outside the circle since we wish to perceive the spirit as separate from us so we can interact with it in a one-to-one fashion. Also that is possible to do without the circle (to exist “without a Universe” and so to “be formless”), but that I am not mentally able to do so yet.

So, from that perspective, the idea of two circles seems like it would be two separate self-contained universes. How would they interact? There would need to be a bridge of some sort, connecting them, or so it seems to me. I wonder what would be gained over using a triangle, or - my own approach, which seems to work fine - a circle for the magician, and no triangle or other point for the spirit, letting them manifest however and wherever they choose. Perhaps if I needed to call a spirit to a specific point - like calling a spirit into another person - a triangle might be needful.

I have used the UC and a smaller UC made out of wood as a manifestation point for a spirit. I place a charged sigil and an incense burner in the smaller UC along with any offerings.

I was told, and have experienced that it is symbolic of you and the spirits standing “on the same ground” as equals. It allows you to better exchange energies and combine your wills.

I wouldn’t do it with every spirit though.

The UC IS A “TRIANGLE”, use it and you will see. If you notice the characters make a triangle, also 3 candles are to be placed in between the characters making a second triangle being reinforced by the element of fire or will.

The UC was first introduced in Book of Azazel a book of pact making, using the two circles the way Orismen describes invokes the concept of Micro/Macrocosmic forces meeting. Not trying to be cryptic but it’s too hard to explain, you’ll have to experience to know.