Understanding the Lady of 10,000 Names

I bring her up because she’s, as far as I know, the first deity who ‘hatched’ me so to speak, and my first powerful experience of her was while reading the Bembine Tablet chapter of Manly P Hall’s Secret Teachings.

I’ve had a lot of ideas about her rattle round my head, perhaps the most poignant image of her being from Lucius in Metamorphosis in the closing chapter where she comes up out of the Mediterranean sea clothed essentially in the universe, claims to be the root identity of all female deities, and turns Lucius back into his human form. When I’ve actually ‘seen’ here in vision, and she’s the only goddess who actually showed up so powerfully that I’m consistently sure of what I saw, she displayed herself very much like Henri Martin’s The Emergence of Clemence Isaure with Troubadours painting.

The thing I’m quite curious about - it seems like while she’s an extremely loving and positive being it also seems like she’s by and large either very hands-off in terms of one’s transformation or the ride you might go on from that point forward might be loosely under her auspices but outsourced to other deities who are essentially doing pieces of the work that she intends to see you put to. The most striking experience I had was a night where I was meditating and I found myself on a plane with a powerful glowing presence off to my left beckoning my attention - she was holding the wing of the plane and guiding it. About a year later things took a dark turn and to tell the truth from 2015 thru this past year things have been quite difficult, Lilith has helped me with a lot of that, but I’m still wondering how much of this is sort of under Isis’s jurisdiction in one way or another.

I ask this as well because there’s a guy I met at a local group who had a very powerful experience of her in his early teen years and something similar happened (life hasn’t been easy for him either), ie. it’s a bit like when she shows up she’s unbinding or setting something in motion that may end up with a lot of confrontation with shadow. It’s a bit like she also won’t let you cling to her light or holiness, which would have been perfectly in line with the ways my earlier Catholicism would have taught me to think. Heck, it almost seems like the deities of light know when you’re running at them because ‘They’re the light! They’re the good guys!’ - and when they see that and see that it’s coming from someone whose highly incomplete or still half-baked in their development it’s a bit like they’ll close the door to contact and push you out in other directions.

Just curious if anyone else has had experiences with the particular motif I mentioned above or whether, if they work with her often, how their sense of her compares to what I’ve mentioned above.

A verse early on in the Kybalion comes to mind, to the effect that understanding the Goddess in this life is only possible insofar as a glimpse at her face past the veil might be caught in the course of a human lifetime.

1 Like