Tuatha Dé Danann

so I never see any one talk about them so was wondering
why?

4 Likes

What’s your experience/knowledge so far? :smiley:

well so far some YouTube videos but I’m fond of Taranis the thunder god.

1 Like

I don’t talk much about them because I believe they were a real life culture that various elements throughout history have gone to great lengths to portray as myth. It would be like me trying to work with ancient Romans or Egyptians in a magickal context. Which I suppose is possible. But barring historic revelations, to what purpose?

Their gods, though, are an entirely different matter. Powerful and sometimes very beautiful and terrifying. Lugh is intense. And the pookah are scary as shit.

6 Likes

I work with them but I prefer to keep my practice somewhat private.

2 Likes

tuatha de danann they are the people of the elves as in the lord of rings
they be gods in ireland tolken did not invent anything everything was there
in the old days. In times where magick was everywhere and gods were on earth.

2 Likes

taranis is a celtic god not a elf

my bad I thought they were Celtic in origin

The Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids includes teachings about them in thier courses, and has a bit in thier archives:

The Celts … migrated to the British Isles from Gaul, Western Germany and Spain. Irish mythology tells how the Celtic Milesians invaded Ireland from Spain, subjugating the Fir Bolg natives and previous invaders the Tuatha de Danann. The Tuatha de Danann are a semi-mythological race, who are often associated with the elves and the otherworld now. Fir Bolg is used to collectively describe three races: the Fir Bolg, the Fir Dhomhnann and the Gailion. This has been related to the Belgae, Dumnonii and the Gauls suggesting that Gallic Celts had settled from the continent possibly even passing through Southern Britain as those Celtic tribes were also recorded in Cornwall, Devon and Somerset. If so then Spanish, Milesian Celts invaded and took the sovereignty of Ireland away from Celts who were from Gaul and Belgium. The Tuatha de Danann could be associated with the Danes or a tribe from the Danube but as they are also associated with elves and Atlanteans we might be stretching reality a bit.

Hmn, I hadn’t considered the association with Atlantis before, that interests me. :thinking:

Source:

4 Likes

While of different origins, they can often be one in the same, from a historical perspective. The Celts and Norse intermingled culturally for so long that they crossed pantheons many times on an individual or regional basis. A Celt could venerate a Norse god and a Norseman could worship a Celtic one. You can see it in the names throughout history. It is not uncommon to find old world Celt and Norse names mixed into each others regions, reaching hundreds of years back.

4 Likes

The Morrigan is one of the Tuatha de Danann - both a goddess and one of the people of the mound, the Sidhe, as far as I know. Morgan Daimler is a good source for info on the TDD.

2 Likes

I’m Irish and work with them. Morrigan is my matron Goddess and have worked with and had experiences with the sidhe (faye) since I was a child.
Over the years I’ve learnt lots from them and they are excellent teachers and the magick they teach is a lot different from most other paths. Most are extremely dualistic in nature but can be quite hard to find an in with or to get an answer from at all. For me they have just always been there though. Developing a relationship with them involves effort and they lie A LOT to people they don’t have a relationship with. If you want to start working with the Tuatha De Danann The Daghda and Brigid are probably the most approachable and willing to work with people they don’t know/get to know people etc.

3 Likes

I have Irish heritage, but also spiritual ties to them, I do plan to reconnect with Epona, Eiocha/Danu, Maponos, Taranis, Teutates, and some others both Gods and Fae. I’ve had contact with Belenus for a few years now.

me also i have ancestor irish red head
i have work with Math ap Mathonwy and Airmid (of tuatha)
many years he is a friend to me.

1 Like