Travel sized altars?

So in my journey to explore Magik and fully probe the limits of my potential, I came across this article discussing travel sized and portable altars

And I want to know your guys thoughts on this. Is this seen as disrespectful to make one this way? (Particularly the mention of using an Altoids tin for it) would it be a bad idea to make these for different deities Id like to work with? (Not all at once but over time, as a space saving low key option)
Does it really matter what it looks like, as long as you maintain the respect and intent?

*For the record the extent of my work with deities is just mother Earth, and an altar was never required or so much as suggested to me. So after seeing so many uses of altars im not sure how to take this idea
Thanks in advance!

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s ever disrespectful to make an altar for someone, no matter its form; it is a literal act of veneration.
Plus, those are totes adorbs <3

1 Like

Why the hell should that be disrespectful?
Lots of greater mages like Aleister Crowley, S. Ben Quayin, Alexander Dray, Christos Beest just to name a few have written about their workings with travel size altars.
I really regret i didnt had one when i started out in the beginning. Its so fucking awesome i mean, how much more Witchy can you go?
Your own suitcase when unfolded a perfect altar.

2 Likes

I don’t think it is disrespectful at all. In fact portable altars have been used for a very long time, mainly in certain parts of Greece and modern day Israel (one of them being a simple slab of marble with five cups). In fact, I believe portable altars are still in use in India today, although do not quote me. And considering the people of the past used what they had available to connect with their gods, I do not see it being a problem today if it is made and used out of love and sincerity. But that is just my thoughts

1 Like

I don’t see this as disrespectful at all. I’m glad you posted this as a matter of fact because I was considering using one for my office because I’m unable to have one at home due to my kids. A travel sized or portable altar would be perfect for the office, travel, etc. when a person can’t have one in their home for various reasons, or if they’re on the go.

I think the spirits would appreciate the altar regardless of size.

2 Likes

I really appreciate the input guys, I guess I’ll have to keep you updated when I find someone I’d like to work with

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s fine. I always try to keep a couple tools on me, always be prepared lol.

I really love this idea. Even if not used for travel to take that concept and maybe set up multiple small altars on a bookcase or shelves on the wall. Working with multiple spirits I’d love to be able to have something that I could leave out to show my appreciation to them without having to kick my kids out of the house to steal their rooms for the space :blush:.

2 Likes

Most people here are talking from their own experiences (apart from the guy who mentioned great magicians above), and well, I’m here to chime in that every entity is its own thing, so, maybe it’d be a good idea to ask the entity itself.
But in my opinion, nope, that’s actually fantastic

2 Likes