Thyrsus vs Hazel Wand

I am still getting my ritual tools in order and don’t want to buy a wand pre made one so i’m wondering ,which is better a Thyrsus vs a Hazel wand or maybe even a hazel rod with a pine cone on top?

Hi Uru,

Magical tools are more special, significant and personal when made by you physically, but initially guided by either spirit, or your higher self?

In your situation, you need a wand so write this down on paper and place it on the altar and them forget about it. Once you get an urge or idea then follow it. Let’s say for an example here, this idea could be to have a roam through the woods and be led to a certain piece of wood or material. You can then bring it back and place it on the altar and once again leave it. Ideas will sooner or later start to take over you and this will urge you to start working on the material out of the woods and fashioning it into something that appeals to you.

Please bear with me hear as you have probably heard this before but without thorough explanation so I will try to rectify this for you.

In my experience it doesn’t matter what material you make your tools from or what time of the month etc etc…What really matters is placing your thoughts into what you are doing and learning to ‘connect’ with your tools as this is what makes them magical. I know traditionally certain materials have been used but this is just out of association and how energy is passed through them in different ways.

(Any organic substance will hold a charge and conduct the energy through your own belief, awareness and imagination).

By prompting a response from spirit and acting upon its guidance you start to built a connection with your tools even before they are created, which happens through you going out and finding something that ‘speaks’ to you. Working on it when you are in the correct state of mind and placing the right energy into your wand is a powerful process that connects you to it.

These actions are the real important factors in these situations in general because they become meaningful to you, which is more significant than what material to use and where the moon phase happens to be.

Once made you need to take away all previous contact it had and past associations by neutralising the object and making it ready for one purpose. Acting upon ideas like this in a ritualistic manner will therefore consecrate your wand.

You now have a personal connection with your tool that has also become charged for specific purposes. It is these ideas and actions that truly make a tool magical, this however doesn’t always happen if you blindly follow advice out of a book for example because you’re not aware of the implications and therefore, no connection is truly made with the object.

By the way…don’t just get wrapped up in one item like a wand, have you considered a dagger or even a staff which can be very powerful indeed once crafted, charged and consecrated properly?

Become guided through an open mind and let the spirit donate what is appropriate for you and then you will build a strong connection with it.

That’s a fantastic idea, especially if you are inspired and the ideas you get resonate with you instead of it just coming from some outside prompt or influence instead.[/quote]

Yeah it’s been on my mind for a while now ,really nagging at me, I’m going to do it soon.

There are bars on the tomb on The Hill of Tara but i’d love to get inside to meditate and try a load of evocations but if not ,there are a good few megalithic chambered cairns around the Dublin Mountains that are open, which i’d love to spend the night in, like one would in a graveyard and just open myself to whatever energies are there.

I wonder though ,who best to call to, sadly I’m not familiar with my own cultures Celtic pagan deities , time to start Goggling lol ?