Thoughts on responsibility in the left-hand path

(Want to share my interpretation of this subject: this is where I’m at with it right now, with the caveat that some of the things I ardently believed five or ten years ago, I’ve since disproved to myself, or moved beyond, so consider it a work in progress.)

It seems that every mystically inclined person who explores experiential spirituality (meditation, soul travel, evocation – everything that’s not just passive mental meanderings) ends up having the experience that there is some kind of a spiritual reality back of and behind our everyday physical realm, and those experiences tend to converge on the experience of something named as God, Source, The Light, whatever else – a single divine essence, which (furthermore) is experienced as being both the core of our selves, i.e., we are both OF it and IN it, and also transcending limits like personality or identity.

Every book I’ve read, every experience I’ve had, points to the idea that we are a kind of stained glass window, through which this ultimate Light shines through, and that the very essence of our being is of it and from it in ways that whole libraries exist to try and define.

Because of this, because we are all OF “God” and inseperable from it, I believe everything that happens in a person’s life, specifically an adult human being, is there because on some level, conscious or subconscious, they’ve invited it in, or their higher self is allowing it to happen because they need to have that experience - even, WANT to have that experience – and the test for that, which I’ve never seen fail, is that, if it was taken away, they would faithfully recreate it somewhere else.

This isn’t a friendly “earth school” type thing, where everything works to help the individual soul grow and thrive – if someone thinks victim thoughts long enough, they’ll attune as a victim, begin to resent non-victims, reject any experience or opportunity that denies their victim identity, and therefore they’ll only feel good about themselves when they’re being victimised.

And of course, a victim can’t exist without their tyrant safely to hand – creating a dynamic that fosters mutual need on both sides, as the bleating of the “poor me’s” stimulates the appetite of the hungry predators, whose own insecurities mean they need to see their power writ large in someone else’s pain – and if a victim can’t make a tyrant appear in reality, because being victimised is at the core of their identity, he/she will invent them in an apocalyptic cosmology whereby the nuclear war, great judgement, or other catastrophic event stands in for human-level tyranny, and gives them reason to live in fear of a Big Bad something-or-other.

Since there are no safety nets (unless we’ve made, bought, or inherited them via dealings with godforms or other entities) that victim-draw can carry merrily on attracting worse and more destructive experiences, each of which prove the victim more and more right about how frightening existance is, how full of traps and pitfalls – right up to the partial or total erasure of the individual by whatever abyss they run gleefully towards: this is the truth behind Amut, the soul-eating monster that haunted the Egyptian halls of justice, eating the souls of those whose hearts were too heavy.

If we take the definition of “left hand path” as that of seeking to become a god within one’s own lifetime, and/or to, at the very least, command a whole lot of godlike powers, the idea there’s any kind of bad Them out there who “we” need to fight, destroy, speak out against, or otherwise get entrenched in has to go.

So does the idea that there’s a poor huddled mass of victims who need saving from, well, usually themselves, but we’re going to do it anyway because we know best – how many of us would be the strong and determined characters we’ve become, if we’d had the keys to life handed us on a plate, without even becoming aware of the reason it was so important to hold them?

Does this deny the existence of evil people, evil acts, in the world? No: it just says that they’re part of the cycle, part of the stuff people often draw to themselves and need to experience, perhaps as the first step towards claiming true power – the, “I’m mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this any more” moment.

Until someone has felt true powerlessness, known what it is to hope that someone [I]powerful[/I] is going to come and get them out of a bad situation, but no-one came, the need to command power – emotional, psychological, material power, right along with the magickal kind – is always going to be elusive.

Too much of a faff to pursue, too much of a burden to bear, too much responsibility to face the fact one might not actually be a very nice person, if the brakes are taken off: there are a million different reasons people shun power until they realise, on a gut level, and usually through a very devastating experience, that they can’t do without it.

So long as we feel we can rely on someone else to get us out of our scrapes, we keep taking our hand off the steering wheel and then playing the dance of blame and self-pity, which is many things (probably, also, a necessary phase) but which is NOT the route to becoming a living god.

The truly nihilistic anti-life currents that our predecessors have always written about come from the total loss of hope, the loss of godhood – they usually try to destroy the gods in some way, or to eat the Sun – a striking metaphor for erasing the thing that shines most brightly within each of our lives.

That’s why I think any talk of an absolute morality on this forum, any group where people are in any way pursuing real power, no-holds-barred, balls to the wall power (instead of trying to be approved of, “enlightened”, or “right” by conventional mundane standards, which always give power [I]away[/I] by making an appeal to some higher authority or scriptural source) needs to drop the concept of “poor me/poor them” and take responsibility for everything that happens, everything about ourselves, everything about our lives.

Therefore, it’s possible to recognise that evil exists: to want to ease the suffering, even of some groups of other people, where that comes from not wanting it as a blot on YOUR landscape – not wanting to go to bed in a world where something that violates your own ethics is going on.

But not from this place of the victim/tyrant paradigm, which denies responsibility all round, denies the possibility of any kind of godhood within anyone, and renders us all just as powerless things, bobbing haplessly in a sea of other things, waiting to be bruised or brushed aside by unknowable outside forces.

It’s the real sheep morality that says let’s huddle together from the big bad wolf, with one eye on our shepherds (who will fleece and maybe even try to feed off us, which is after all their right in exchange for protection) and without ever breaking free of the pack.

My 2¢ :slight_smile: and yes, some very bad things [I]have[/I] happened to me, to people I loved, and it’s when I stopped feeling like I could bitch and whine until some court of higher appeal acknowledged what a hard done to lil’ babe in arms I was, when I started instead to take responsibility, and to see what and how this could have been drawn into my life, that I started to really taste true power, and see some very exciting horizons opening up.

Finally, I do believe in charity, kindness, giving people the kind of treatment we’d like for ourselves, even where they maybe don’t seem to deserve it – this is because we ALL fuck up sometimes, have a bad day or a few bad years, get it wrong, need a second chance or an even break, and I’m not some kind of social Darwinist, because when it comes to true power, I’m not any more interested in becoming someone’s tyrant than I am in becoming their “victim” – but the real pursuit of power is about me and only me, and only when I (you, or anyone else) can take total responsibility for everything in life, without delaying until we’ve understood it, or had it explained in a way that flatters us, can real power be experienced.

Until that responsibility is there, heartfelt and sincere, it’s always going to be about what someone [I]else[/I] is doing wrong, thereby granting them the power and leaving us pleading, rolling our eyes like sheep, hoping a grown-up will sort things out.

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:1, topic:2408”]If we take the definition of “left hand path” as that of seeking to become a god within one’s own lifetime, and/or to, at the very least, command a whole lot of godlike powers, the idea there’s any kind of bad Them out there who “we” need to fight, destroy, speak out against, or otherwise get entrenched in has to go.

… eat the Sun – a striking metaphor for erasing the thing that shines most brightly within each of our lives.

That’s why I think any talk of an absolute morality on this forum, any group where people are in any way pursuing real power, no-holds-barred, balls to the wall power (instead of trying to be approved of, “enlightened”, or “right” …

Therefore, it’s possible to recognise that evil exists: to want to ease the suffering, even of some groups of other people, where that comes from not wanting it as a blot on YOUR landscape – not wanting to go to bed in a world where something that violates your own ethics is going on.[/quote]

I am 100% with you on taking responsibility for ones own power, actions, rites.

Touching on the first point I’ve quoted from your post: There are men in this world that would kill you simply because you have a will to think. There are men in this world that do claim to have the authority and rite to wipe you from the face of humanity. These men live their lives as I do. However, when seeing the opportunity to do evil, they see the opportunity to do what is “necessary.” Then these men weigh morality with usefulness on their libras. I can’t help but agree with them. I also can’t live in a world where my elders seek to destroy the God I love so dear, the God they gave to me. I can’t live in a world where they exist, though I do.

Next: They have taken my Sun. They have eaten my Sun(Son). I too eat of my Sun but it was given to me freely to eat. They find it just to take my Sun away because they be more righteous, though evil, than myself. They have their rite. Remove the head of the serpent…

All that I have has been given to me. I take for nothing, lest it be offered at an affordable price. I cherish the Sovereign Lord that gave me choice, chaos, and free thought. I’ve never been a victim in my life. Though these men seek to victimize me through their ever pervasive and influential spheres of great power, I kill them or die before the show of force be executed.

TL;DR- You’re right, no one should be a victim unless they truly want to be. No one should be a tyrant unless they have a victim wishing the tyranny upon themselves. You’re wrong, don’t be so naive to assume that there aren’t people (men, specifically) in this world that would give a second thought to ending your life because you don’t fit so well into their picturesque vision of the future. They’ll kill you, just as they would and possibly will kill me.

I don’t really like communities, or groups. This’ll probably be my last post. I just found your subject intriguing. The priests that introduced and lead (me) down the the Left Hand Path never once mentioned or clued me into my need for responsibility. Kudos to you for taking the reins for yourself, color me impressed!

Farewell,
-Blüd.

[quote=“Blüd, post:2, topic:2408”]TL;DR- You’re right, no one should be a victim unless they truly want to be.

You’re wrong, don’t be so naive to assume that there aren’t people (men, specifically) in this world that would give a second thought to ending your life …[/quote]

I posted this because it’s been bubbling away ever since one of the “save the world” threads from last year, and is part of why I got involved in that ass-hattery last night on Divinator’s thread. Part of - the rest was boredom, not philosophy.

I feel so much better for getting it off my bosom :o) so, whatever, it either strikes a chord or doesn’t, we’re all on different pages and seeing different bits of the picture. But this is my “morality” and why I have felt and reacted the way I do.

There’s no way I’m perfect at the “taking responsibility” shit and also, there are levels - if someone rapes your garden mower, you need to report them, because to not do so 1. gives them permission to come back for another shot at your shreddings and 2. says you don’t feel worthy to be protected by the world you’re born into, and its law & order mechanisms, and so on.

So, yeah, people want to do bad shit to each other, to me, to you, I get that, but mainly I’m interested in doing things to my world, because the one thing I hold most dear is my intention to command the powers of a Goddess within my lifetime.

Am I mad?

Yes.

Am I going to command the powers of a Goddess, by making things happen through my mind alone?

I’ll keep you posted on results! :wink:

You are giving a good explanation of the natural convention that happens when the Universe of Matter was created. The final outcome of rulers and ruled are part of the convention. The concept of “reflective crystal” of the divine source was the natural appealing of the creation before the matter. When matter rises, and the convetion of Good/Evil were defined and agreed by both sides of the totality ( the part that wanted to share light and the part that dont, in the same superbeing ) the natural way to preserve the balance were to keep both sides in balance while the universe of matters keep on existence.

Responsibility was at first time, the nature of any God, Goddess, Angel or Deific Mask. The general revolt began with the convention of what you are describing in a perfect way. The “today defined as pure evil” High Spirit, didnt like that approach for the universe of matter.

And its totally truth that take full responsibility moves you to godlike powers and state of mind. But without a solution of continuity this has no sense…
you are describing “the convention” but would be nice from you try to describe the nearby outcomes of that convention AHEAD AND ABOVE the matter concerns…