Thor and Necromancy

In the story of Thor going to Jotunheim with Loki, he stops at a small house to spend the night. The people who owned the house didn’t have food for them so Thor slaughtered his goats to be used as food. Skip ahead a little and the story will talk about how Thor performed a ritual to bring the goats back.
Now I don’t know about you, but that sounds like necromancy. Excluding the aspect of conjuring the dead for divination and all that, this would be necromancy, would it not?
However, it is said that the hammer Mjölnir is what he used to bring them back. Thor’s hammer is known to give blessings, so perhaps all that happened was that Thor used Mjolnir to give the blessing of life to his goats.
Thor blessed the goats’ skins that he kept to bring them back.
“It(Mjolnir) covered birth, marriage, and death, burial, and cremation ceremonies, weapons and feasting, traveling, land-taking, and the making of oaths between men.” - Hilda Roderick Ellis Davidson
According to her, Mjolnir has a connection with death. So maybe it was the hammer and not Thor after all.
I’m not well versed in Norse mythology just yet so I’m unaware of whether Mjolnir represents aspects of Thor or if it is its own thing with its own aspects that is used by Thor.
So, does Thor know necromancy or is this just another form of Magick used by him, or him using the power of the hammer, to bring the goats back?
Perhaps I should do some more research on it.

1 Like

I’m not a Norse Mythology expert too, but I think that all probabilities you mentioned are possible.

1. Thor’s father is Odin, who is a powerful magician himself and knows his way around necromancy. I’m not sure whether Odin taught Thor his magic(including necromancy) or not, but it is plausible. Maybe it’s a magical inheritance!
  2. Mjolnir was forged magically by dwarves, so it could have magical power in itself.
2 Likes