This Occult/Fantasy game I'm working on

I’m working on a fantasy game with mythology and some occult themes based on a book I’m writing called Dark Magi. The game is played with models upon a tabletop. The game simulates a battlefield as players try to obtain objectives. If anyone has played Warhammer, either fantasy, age of sigmar, or 40k, its like that. Except each player plays with a small handful of individual models (5 or 7) as opposed to large armies where models act as units. The factions goes as follows.

Witchblooded: Essentially a culture or counter culture of human practitioners of magick. This is the main faction where the story’s main characters come from. Witchblooded differ from ordinary humans because they want to define their own destinies. Humans are more interested in herd conformity. The iconography of this faction will be heavily influenced by Paganism, though a bit of lhp philosophy/mindset will be employed, mostly by the main character.

Elves: Elves are a staple in most fantasy games. Though I’m not a fan of their haughty demeanor in some franchises. The elves in Dark Magi are shown to be peaceful, preferring to coexist with others but not necessarily pacifist. They can and will fight when threatened but would rather not.

Dwarves: Another staple. Dwarves are rowdy. They love to fight and will look for excuses to brawl. Dwarves are very community and family based. They not only take care of their own but will refuse to stand aside when others need help. They’re faction, as you can guess, is more combat based. Whatever magic they use is either for support or fighting against enemy magicians.

Celestians: Picture angel winged mortal humanoids. Celestians are a matriarchal race that believe its their duty to create order. And so they annex nations that are in dire need. They provide aid but in return demand loyalty. Celestians are heavily religious. Their religion is based off of hermeticism.

Daemonians: Picture the opposite of the celestians; a dark race with classic demonic features. Daemonians scorn all things divine. They follow Sapientia de Tenebarum, the philosophy of Darkness. It;s something akin to left hand path humanism, in that it rejects religion and faith, focuses on the here and now, employs logic and reason, concerns the well fair of others, but also encouraged individual freedom. Despite their fiendish appearance, Daemonians are kindhearted. Their society is advanced but includes many diversions and entertainments. They are seen as hedonistic and inappropriate by their allies, particularly the celestians.

Jotun: Giants of classic myths. Mostly frost giants but includes formorians and fire giants. Jotun are ethnocentric. They believe their race is the most dominant of all. They follow a darwinist philosophy of survival of the fittest, claiming jotun are the mightiest. Lucky for us, they don’t feel the need to prove it. Jotun hardly mobilize for war except in severe cases. However its not uncommon for individuals or small groups to be found causing trouble.

Dark Elves: Cousins of the elves, the dark elven race is cruel, warlike, and tyrannical. They worship their god, Nirgali (Mesopotamian Nergal), god of conquest, war, and necromancy. The dark elves favor the use of necromancy and utilize lots of summoning.

Duhn Mol: Ogres, goblins, and trolls. The Duhn Mol are atheistic. However they abandon all manner of philosophy and morality. They are greedy, materialistic, and above all spiteful. Duhn Mol have no concern for anything that doesn’t lead to instant gratification. They are separated into three groups. First are ogres who favor brute strength and alpha dominance. Second are groblins who favor sneaky tactics, magic, and deception. Third are trolls, ancient and mystical creatures who, unlike other duhn mol, prefer peaceful solitary lives in their chosen forests or mountains. Trolls generally distrust other races, but can be persuaded into cooperation if it means protecting their homes.

The Human Coalition: An organization made up of several governments that utilizes religion and facism to assume control, mainly by naming witchblooded to be terrorists. They use modern technology to fight the magical menace. Aiding the coalition is a secret group of religious fanatics naming themselves Sword Bearers. Fighting between these three groups are outcasts, which range from criminals and revolutionaries.

Cults of Tartarus: Tartarus is a world where 7 evil gods are imprisoned. They are worshiped by this world’s fiendish inhabitants, the Skarthren. Skarthren devote their lives to their individual gods, living in cults, and waging war against rival cults. Tartarus is also where a variety of mythological monsters live. The gods of Tartarus goes as follows.

Balor: God of brutality, hate, and plague.

Nirgali: God of conquest, the sun, and necromancy.

Seti: God of Darkness, deception, and discord.

Tiamat: Goddess of oceans, piracy, and nightmares.

Ymir: God of storms, ice, and fire.

Typhon and Echidna: Typhon rules over natural disasters. Echidna rules over monsters.

Chronos: Titan lord who focuses on science and technology.

The game incorporates a deck of cards themed off the tarot deck. Its called the Arcana deck. Arcana cards are utilized to provide short buffs to models and to gain Destiny points which are needed to win the game.

4 Likes

Looks fun

Board games seem to be really fun with alcohol. I wish I knew people that would be down.

1 Like

Damn seems interesting~ I’d love to play it, I am a man of D&D as well.