The Serpent

I had a long talk with my roommate (the devout one) on a walk with her one night where I explained my take on the Genesis opening portion and the role of Judas, most of what I stated came from Gnostic writings.

I did however have a dream a few decades ago, where I was in a grassland of sorts near a tree, and was conversing with a beautiful woman with black hair, who was wearing a lavendar gown, where during the end of our conversation (which I neither heard nor remembered), she handed me a living gift, which appeared to be a seahorse which was about the size of a standard small bag of idaho potatos.
While I was searching for a way to carry the seahorse, a snake slithered between my legs and disappeared.

The context of the conversation on the serpent was if it was a snake, dragon, gila monster or what. I replied that from the best of my understanding seeing cross comparisons of genesis, (sorry, i know there are many not fond of christianity here, just trying to state the point and question) was that it was simply a wise, charming deity, who set a seed of doubt in the mind of eve. As goes the story (one of many that date far back from before the hebrews, almost verbaitm from the old religions.

Looking in DuQuettes illustrated goetia, there is a female demon from the waist up being an attractive nude woman, where the lower half is a large serpent lower half, no legs, which means no egyptian like crocodile half, no dragon/gila/whatever, a snake like portion from waist down. This is also some interpretations of lilith.

The snake is very common in the old religions of the akkadians, the phonecians, sumerians, babylonians, etc.

In fact, I stumbled across a religious european piece of art from external building ornamentation, where there is a tree with fruit, a man on one side a woman on the other, and in between a split of the tree trunk, a beautiful woman (obvisouls only half), where the lower snake half winds down the tree.

What does this all mean, and per my taste/phobia, much like the quote from indiana jones, why does it have to be snakes?

Thanks,

Fuego.