The "Monday Post"

Great job Lady Eva! Lots of great reading. So glad you are making the time for putting out all that great info.

I’m trying to science the shit out of this planet.

But I’m running late, so this may be the Hawaiian Monday Post, so - if I mess up? It may be late. :slight_smile:

Better magick myself some instant gratification!

Right, I’ve just completed an enormous project that had SO much pressure I thought my brain was going to crack up - here’s link number one from one of my favourite internet people that I can’t wait to share because to my mind it applies to everything, not just exercise, and I’ll be doing a full Post later on after a few catnaps and cups of tea! :slight_smile:

The Myth of Perfect Conditions: 9 Common Excuses Used to Delay Exercise

“It’s the Goldilocks Syndrome…. It’s too hot to exercise. It’s too cold. It’s too early. It’s too late. I’m too tired or busy or overweight or overwhelmed. When x, y, or z changes, things will be better, easier. That’s not long to wait, right? And, so, we talk ourselves into waiting and out of working toward fitness. All the while, we’re fully convinced we have the world’s most pragmatic mindset. What else could we do in such a situation? It’s just the way it has to be. Exercise just can’t happen under these circumstances. And so we give away our chance at vitality because we’re married to a set of conditions, which become – like it or not – our excuses.”

~ Source: marksdailyapple.com

☩ The (Not Quite Monday) Post ☩

Welcome to the fifth edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

This week we have the usual features and a bit of a special theme, inspired by an extended Spirit Of The Week article written by Claidheam, whose support and generosity with his valuable time have been much appreciated.

The theme? Well, Monday was World Oceans Day, and by a happy coincidence the theme today is Water.

☩ News & Articles ☩

Get An Espresso And An Exorcism At Bangkok’s Premiere Witchcraft Cafe

"Bangkok has a wide array of spiritual services for sale. Want to pump up your rack with ‘natural breast enlargement’ courtesy of a chest-slapping shamaness? Can do. Interested in dropping $2000 on an illegal doll that houses an aborted fetus who predicts lottery numbers? Bangkok has you covered.

In a society that loves the occult, Ace of Cups is the lone ‘witchcraft cafe’ where you can grab a plate of fettuccine while having your fortune told.

… Two chalkboard menus hang over the pastry case: One lists cakes, pastas, and sodas that correspond to your astrological sign. The other catalogs more sinister offerings, like exorcism and curse-lifting. Spells start at 350 baht (about $10). "
~ Source: vice.com

Fasting For Three Days Can Regenerate Entire Immune System, Study Finds

" Fasting for as little as three days can regenerate the entire immune system, even in the elderly, scientists have found in a breakthrough described as ‘remarkable’.

Although fasting diets have been criticised by nutritionists for being unhealthy, new research suggests starving the body kick-starts stem cells into producing new white blood cells, which fight off infection.

Scientists at the University of Southern California say the discovery could be particularly beneficial for people suffering from damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients on chemotherapy.

It could also help the elderly whose immune system becomes less effective as they age, making it harder for them to fight off even common diseases.

The researchers say fasting ‘flips a regenerative switch’ which prompts stem cells to create brand new white blood cells, essentially regenerating the entire immune system. "
~ Source: telegraph.co.uk

1,300-Year-Old Egyptian Mummy Had Biblical Tattoo

"A mummy of an Egyptian woman dating back to 700 A.D. has been scanned and stripped to reveal a tattoo on her thigh that displays the name of the biblical archangel Michael.

The discovery, announced by researchers at the British Museum over the weekend, was made during a research project that used advanced medical scans, including Computed Tomography (CT) images, to examine Egyptian mummies at a number of hospitals in the United Kingdom last year.

The woman’s body was wrapped in a woolen and linen cloth before burial, and her remains were mummified in the desert heat. As deciphered by curators, the tattoo on her thigh, written in ancient Greek, reads Μιχαήλ, transliterated as M-I-X-A-H-A, or Michael."
~ Source: news.discovery.com

The Statues And Symbolic Gestures That Link Ancient Göbekli Tepe, Easter Island, And Other Sites Around The World

"Ancient monuments left by mankind present an unsolved enigma: why do humanoid statues from many prehistoric sites— from those found at Göbekli Tepe in Turkey to those at Easter Island—all share similar postures? The signature and symbolic stances displayed on the incredible statues from locations around the world raise questions about what caused humanity to collectively repeat a ‘rebirth’ theme across great distances and time.

… Very interestingly, the statues of Easter Island, Mexico, Costa Rica, Azerbaijan, French Polynesia, West Mesopotamia, Saharan Africa, Bolivia, Egypt, Tahiti, Colombia and Marquesas Islands reveal a similar form to Göbekli Tepe. Because of this surprising resemblance, some questions need to be asked: What links all of these mysterious places?"
~ Source: ancient-origins.net

☩ Member Successes ☩

Tilla Durieux in the role of Circe, by Franz von Stuck : via Wikimedia Commons

This week, congratulations are due to, among many others:

Takeshiro, who had rapid success after calling on the Archangel Raphael;

chef1964, for a very successful first use of a black mirror.

Arcane for a successful evocation of Baba Yaga.

☩ Special Feature : Water ☩

Let’s begin with some news and articles:

Water: The Weirdest Liquid On The Planet

"Water is the only substance on Earth whose chemical formula has entered the vernacular. We all know H2O, even if we don’t understand precisely what it means. But if it sounds simple, the reality is different. This common, seemingly boring substance baffles and confuses anyone who peers at it for long enough.

Water breaks all the rules. Since the 19th century, chemists have developed a robust framework to describe what liquids are and what they can do. Those ideas are almost useless at explaining the weird behaviour of water."
~ Source: theguardian.com

This Computer Works Using Moving Water Droplets

"You’d generally do well to avoid keeping your laptop well away from liquids, but a new computer designed by researchers has turned this logic on its head – by being powered by drops of water.

Manu Prakash, an assistant professor of bioengineering, and his students spent more than a decade building the synchronous computer processor, which works using the unique physics of moving water drops, instead of the typical electrons.

However, Prakash and his team aren’t looking to replace the conventional processor that’s powering your PC or smartphone. Instead, they hope to lead the way for a new class of computers that can control and manipulate physical matter. "
~ Source: wired.co.uk

How Your Primal Connection To Water Runs Deeper Than Thirst

“Prehistoric human communities and, later, civilizations developed around water. Naturally, it was a matter of survival then. Human can survive on average about three days without water (despite those headline-grabbing outliers who manage a week or more). Lakes, rivers and oceans offered meals as well as hydration. These days we can live hundreds of miles from substantial water sources but be fully supplied through modern modes of transport. Yet, as with so much of our physical and cognitive blueprints, the psychological draw (and reward) operates beyond the context of necessity. To this day, surveys continually show people substantially prefer landscapes (whether urban or rural) with visible water to those without water.”

Pretty In Pink: Mesmerising Hues Of Martian-Like Salt Water Lake In Ukraine Captured In Series Of Stunning Photographs

"The beautiful expanse of blood-red water was captured during the entirety of a single day by Ukrainian photographer Sergey Anashkevych, who sought to explore the effect different light had on the three-mile expanse. "
~ Source: dailymail.co.uk (stunning photo gallery and video)

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Ganga-Gramma, Turbulent “Demon” River Goddess Of The Ancient Aryans ☩

“Indian Mythology states that Ganga, daughter of Himavan, King of the Mountains, had the power to purify anything that touched her.” ~ History of Hinduism

River Ganga

“The vapour becomes snow, then water, then Ganga; but when it is vapour, there is no Ganga, and when it is water, we think of no vapour in it. The idea of creation or change is inseparably connected with will. So long as we perceive this world in motion, we have to conceive will behind it.” ~ Swami Vivekananda

“Every spring, the Ganges River swells with water as snow melts in the Himalayas. The water brings life as trees and flowers bloom and crops grow. This cycle of life is seen as a metaphor for Hinduism.” ~ History of Hinduism

The Ganges is indisputably the holy river of India. Brought down as a divine goddess by King Bhagiratha to provide spiritual cleansing of utmost intensity, Ganga is still attributed tremendous spiritual power by modern Hindus.

But there is another side to this mighty goddess, who was even literally “demonised” by Christian Westerners as some kind of horrible bloodthirsty heathen demon. My personal experience with this entity was as a light-enthused Indian goddess, even when I was expecting a wrathful, “demonic” entity, but it’s true that her cleansing, transformative power smacked of a great intensity.

To get to the roots of this older, more intensely active goddess that I accessed with the particular name “Ganga-Gramma” from the Western view of her as “demon”, we must travel upstream through time and space, to the Gangean headwaters of the swift-rushing Himalayan Bhagirathi - another name for Ganga-Gramma.

This river recalls the goddess’ original descent to earth through the actions of the Suryan king, Bhagiratha. This shows a goddess just as proud as she is powerful, originally feeling demeaned by Brahma’s command that she descend for act of cleansing others’ impurities. In defiance of Brahma himself, the goddess determined to “sweep away the whole Earth” as she fell.

Lord Shiva intervened to save the earth from her haughty wrath, and she decided then that the thing to do was to fall upon his head!

Descent Of Ganga : via Wikimedia Commons

In utmost detached calm, Shiva wrapped Ganga Bhagirathi in his hair, thereby controlling the river’s flow, and the balancing of her energies with Shiva’s as one of his consorts lent Ganga her current aspect.

In appearance as “Ganga-Gramma”, the Encyclopedia of Demons in World Religions and Cultures describes her (and I will shortly elaborate from personal experience) as “a four-armed, beautiful and voluptuous woman. In her left hand she holds a bowl, symbolic of abundant life and fertility, and in her right she carries a three-pronged fork. She is depicted in art riding astride a makara, a crocodile with the tail of a fish.”

I can add, for whatever my unconfirmed personal gnosis may amount to, that she appeared to me with shining black hair bedecked with many golden and jewelled ornaments, a rosy complexion that glowed out from her like an aura that then turned into a purifying golden light. Her eyes were a unique and powerful shade of blue, and I say “powerful” because I could feel the cleansing and transformative power of merely meeting her gaze.

Now, none of the entries describing her as “demon” that I have found, anyway, supplied much by way of her proficiencies offered to the sorceror, other than the basic theme from the original myth, of her great ability for “cleansing” (odd to find that associated with a “demon”, right?).

All I can offer, then, is my own limited experience: on the theme of cleansing, she can remove obstacles that result from your own attitude or guilt; she can abolish self-deception and bring mental and spiritual healing. She can clear your mind, to be more receptive to spiritual signs and communications. As to what else… well, the only thing to do is to summon her and find out!

~ by Claidheam

☩ In The Skies ☩

There’s a New Moon coming up on Tuesday 16th June at 14:05 UTC, and we’re just 11 days away from the Summer Solstice, at 16:38 UTC on June 21st.

☩ From The Archives ☩

There’s so much good stuff buried away in the archives here, so each week The Monday Post will feature a BALG Forum post that’s more than 12 months old, and which contains some useful information or advice that’s slipped down out of sight - please PM me with any buried treasures you’ve found useful!

This week, there’s a slightly a watery theme, with this post by E.A.:

“I am firmly convinced that some sort of manifestation base is required, whether it be incense, a blood sacrifice, burnt offerings of other sorts, an Elixir of Manifestation, or the gaseous vapors of a flowing river… in almost every case, the base exudes a vapor, and in that vapor the alchemical process occurs, as Revenant so eloquently discusses above. I am certain as well that the Salt/Mercury/Sulfur connection can be made to most of these as well.”
~ Posted by E.A., August 2012

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

"The desert and the ocean are realms of desolation on the surface.

The desert is a place of bones, where the innards are turned out, to desiccate into dust.

The ocean is a place of skin, rich outer membranes hiding thick juicy insides, laden with the soup of being.

Inside out and outside in. These are worlds of things that implode or explode, and the only catalyst that determines the direction of eco-movement is the balance of water.

Both worlds are deceptive, dangerous. Both, seething with hidden life.

The only veil that stands between perception of what is underneath the desolate surface is your courage.

Dare to breach the surface and sink."
~ Vera Nazarian, The Perpetual Calendar of Inspiration

☩ Thank You! ☩

♚ Kudos due this week in generous amounts to Claidheam, and also to Iam Incide for the Bangkok witchcraft café, and everyone else who’s spared time to give me feedback and ideas - thank you! :slight_smile:

Did you enjoy this post? Do you have links or ideas that you’d like to see in the next editions? PM me direct! :slight_smile:

Payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

• This is a Kudos: ♚

Thanks for reading, hope to see you next week! :slight_smile:

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the sixth edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

It’s made it past the first month with the fantastic help and support of a lot of people, and special thanks go to Claidheam and Bran, without whom this couldn’t happen.

Submissions of news & articles always wanted! See below for details.

☩ News & Articles ☩

The Coming Merge Of Human And Machine Intelligence

"For most of the past two million years, the human brain has been growing steadily. But something has recently changed. In a surprising reversal, human brains have actually been shrinking for the last 20,000 years or so. We have lost nearly a baseball-sized amount of matter from a brain that isn’t any larger than a football.

The descent is rapid and pronounced.

… Fortunately, another influence has evolved over the past 20,000 years that is making us smarter even as our brains are shrinking: technology. Technology has allowed us to leapfrog evolution, enabling our brains and bodies to do things that were otherwise impossible biologically. We weren’t born with wings, but we’ve created airplanes, helicopters, hot air balloons and hang gliders. We don’t have sufficient natural strength or speed to bring down big game, but we’ve created spears, rifles and livestock farms.

Now, as the Internet revolution unfolds, we are seeing not merely an extension of mind but a unity of mind and machine, two networks coming together as one. Our smaller brains are in a quest to bypass nature’s intent and grow larger by proxy. It is not a stretch of the imagination to believe we will one day have all of the world’s information embedded in our minds via the Internet."
~ Source: medicalxpress.com

Is The Universe Bubbly? Searching In Space For Quantum Foam

"An incredibly small and fantastically strange theoretical feature of the universe is too microscopic to see directly, so a team of scientists has instead looked for it by studying some of the brightest galaxies in the universe.

As light travels to Earth from distant galaxies, its road through the cosmos may not be smooth. A theoretical characteristic of the universe called ‘quantum foam’ could make space and time rough and chaotic at very small scales. Some models suggest that scientists could see the effect of this foam in a large group of photons that have traveled a very long distance.

The universe we perceive is made of three dimensions of space and another dimension of time, which together make up a single fabric that Albert Einstein dubbed ‘space-time.’ For things like people, planets, stars and anything larger than an atom, space-time is smooth. Large objects move through it like a car driving over a freshly paved road.

By contrast, on very, very (very, very) small-size scales, the universe may be bubbly, foamy and constantly changing. This is a theoretical feature of the universe known as quantum foam.

… The bumps and bubbles created by quantum foam are not obstacles in a photon’s path; they’re changes to the fabric of reality that the photons move through."
~ Source: space.com

Solar eclipse and the Milky Way seen from International Space Station by Adam Rifkin, on Flickr

Experiment Confirms Quantum Theory Weirdness

"The bizarre nature of reality as laid out by quantum theory has survived another test, with scientists performing a famous experiment and proving that reality does not exist until it is measured.

Physicists at The Australian National University (ANU) have conducted John Wheeler’s delayed-choice thought experiment, which involves a moving object that is given the choice to act like a particle or a wave. Wheeler’s experiment then asks - at which point does the object decide?

Common sense says the object is either wave-like or particle-like, independent of how we measure it. But quantum physics predicts that whether you observe wave like behavior (interference) or particle behavior (no interference) depends only on how it is actually measured at the end of its journey. This is exactly what the ANU team found.

‘It proves that measurement is everything. At the quantum level, reality does not exist if you are not looking at it,’ said Associate Professor Andrew Truscott from the ANU Research School of Physics and Engineering."
~ Source: sciencedaily.com

Red Lady: Religious Symbolism In A Paleolithic Tomb?

"The Red Lady burial site in El Mirón cave, outside Ramales de la Victoria in Cantabria, Spain, dates back to the Upper Palaeolithic 16,000 years ago.

… The Egyptians had formal religion in 4,000 B.C. and Hinduism is the oldest religion still practiced today, but religious symbolism is much older than both - as of 20,000 B.C. there were probably burials with ornamentation and weapons, but it is difficult to be sure how widespread it was because Paleolithic burial sites lacking contamination are rare. The Red Lady site even had fossilized pollen so what might be speculation about religious symbolism in other sites might be based on solid evidence there."
~ Source: science20.com

2500-Year-Old ‘Wonder Woman’ Found On Vase

"A 2,500-year-old predecessor of DC Comics’ Wonder Woman super heroine has emerged on a vase painting kept at a small American museum.

Drawn on a white-ground pyxis (a lidded cylindrical box that was used for cosmetics, jewelry, or ointments) the image shows an Amazon on horseback in a battle against a Greek warrior.

Much like the fictional warrior princess of the Amazons, the horsewoman is twirling a lasso.

‘It is the only ancient artistic image of an Amazon using a lariat in battle,’ Adrienne Mayor, a research scholar at Stanford University’s departments of classics and history of science, told Discovery News.

… ‘The vase would have held a Greek woman’s intimate make-up or jewelry. The images on the box suggest that women enjoyed scenes of Amazons getting the best of male Greek warriors,’ Mayor said."

Lost Posture: Why Some Indigenous Cultures May Not Have Back Pain

"Back pain is a tricky beast. Most Americans will at some point have a problem with their backs. And for an unlucky third, treatments won’t work, and the problem will become chronic.

Believe it or not, there are a few cultures in the world where back pain hardly exists. One indigenous tribe in central India reported essentially none. And the discs in their backs showed little signs of degeneration as people aged.

… If you look at an American’s spine from the side, or profile, it’s shaped like the letter S. It curves at the top and then back again at the bottom.

… In fact, if you look at drawings from Leonardo da Vinci — or a Gray’s Anatomy book from 1901 — the spine isn’t shaped like a sharp, curvy S. It’s much flatter, all the way down the back. Then at the bottom, it curves to stick the buttocks out. So the spine looks more like the letter J."
~ Source: npr.org

The Perfect Picture From The International Space Station An Astronaut Tried To Take For 200 Days

NASA via @astroterry

"For 200 days on the International Space Station, American astronaut Terry Virts wanted the perfect picture of the pyramids.

Finally, on his very last day in space, he got this one.

We’d call it pretty amazing. It’s on his Twitter, where you’ll also find more stunning pictures and Vines.

[i]It took me until my last day in space to get a good picture of these! pic.twitter.com/BChtFZBvk7[/i]
— Terry W. Virts (@AstroTerry) June 10, 2015"

~ Source: salon.com

20 Ways To Cultivate Intermittant Euphoria In Your Life

“Euphoria comes when we venture ourselves in some way. We give it space when we let go of our self chatter, inner list making, and task orientation. We open ourselves to it when we release the tendency, as author Paul Pearsall puts it, to be ‘too self conscious to be fully conscious.’ In prioritizing IE, we can pursue experiences with the power to elicit deep feeling (e.g. fear, awe, connection) and simply cultivate a mindset open to wonder.”

☩ Member Successes ☩

Congratulations are due this week to Orismen, who reported an intriguing and inspiring success from his planetary/initiatory work! You can read all about it here.

Rings of Saturn

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, including those who can’t share too much, but are walking round with a big grin in private. :wink:

☩ Notice! ☩

“Spirit Of The Week” got friendly with “From The Archives” this week, as I didn’t have any nominations and time doesn’t permit me to find a lesser-known spirit, research them, and write something worth reading. So, I had to choose between this compromise, and getting TMP out during Monday, and punctuality won. :slight_smile:

If you’d like to nominate a lesser-known Spirit for next week’s Monday Post, PM me directly with their name, some background links, or your own description and experience with that spirit, and any sigils or artwork.

Meanwhile, I dug around in the archives earlier this week and want to draw attention to four posts made by Timothy from the early days of the forum - the first one actually says “Spirit of the week,” and maybe planted the whole idea back when I read a bunch of old posts, so that’s WAYYY cool! :slight_smile:

Binder Of Spirits And The Dead - Atron

Leader Of The Fallen Angels - Azazel

Demon Of Power And Will - Eshmak

Angel Of Esoteric Spirituality - Metatron

☩ In The Skies ☩

Aside from an upcoming New Moon at 14:05 UTC tomorrow (16th June) we’re counting down to the Summer Solstice at 16:38 UTC on Sunday 21st June, and for sunrise times in your location, check timeanddate.com.

Got plans? Please share! :slight_smile:

Image credit : Riley Kaminer, flickr

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“Always dream and shoot higher than you know you can do. Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself.”
~ William Faulkner

☩ Thank You! ☩

♚ Kudos this week to Claidheam for ongoing awesomeness, and to everyone who’s commented or sent ideas and suggestions so far - please keep them coming. Also thanks to Timothy, I probably absorbed the idea of “Spirit Of The Week” from seeing it ages ago, so that’s pretty neat!

Don’t forget, please PM me direct with anything cool you’d like to see in next week’s Monday Post - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

Waiting to read the Monday post on BALG is one of only a few good reasons to actually LIKE Mondays, lol.

[quote=“Blazewind Bluebird, post:27, topic:5247”]Waiting to read the Monday post on BALG is one of only a few good reasons to actually LIKE Mondays, lol. [/quote]If only Garfield had the Monday Post to look forward to, he wouldn’t hate it so much :slight_smile:

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to Issue No:7 of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

This week, we have stone circles galore, heavy metal therapy, a quick diversion into some diverting lists, and a most fascinating Spirit Of The Week

Submissions wanted! See below for details.

☩ News & Articles ☩

Stone Circle Unearthed During New Archaeological Dig At Henge Site That Dwarves Stonehenge

"Archaeologists have begun a three-year dig to unearth the secrets at an ancient stone circle that is thought to be ten times bigger than Stonehenge.

Historians believe the Marden Henge is the largest henge in the country and is at least as significant as Stonehenge and Avebury stone circles.

But because it does not have any standing stones left, it is not as well known by the public. Now 80 archaeologists from all over the world have descended on the Vale of Pewsey to uncover the secrets of a Wiltshire valley which they believe is an untouched archaeological treasure-chest."
~ Source: westerndailypress.co.uk

Summer Solstice 2015 Celebrated At Stonehenge By Nearly 25,000 Druids, Wiccans, Hippies, Punks And Tourists

"Dressed as Druids, Wiccans, hippies, punks or just as regular tourists, nearly 25,000 people gathered Sunday at Stonehenge on Britain’s Salisbury Plain, marking the summer solstice as people have done for thousands of years.

The sun rose at 4:52 a.m. on the longest day of the year, and for the lucky dozens who made it through the crowds to the interior of the neolithic stone circle, the rising sun could be seen in near perfect alignment with the Heel Stone, outside the famous ring.

It is this remarkable alignment, and another that aligns with sunset on the winter solstice, that has inspired such awe and interest in Stonehenge. It shows that whoever built it had a detailed understanding of the celestial path of the sun, but its ritual purpose or meaning has never been fully determined."
~ Source: news.nationalpost.com

Listening To ‘Extreme’ Music Makes You Calmer, Not Angrier, According To Study

"Heavy metal is more commonly associated with headbanging, satanism, moshpits and the decapitation of small mammals. According to a new study, however, metal, and all forms of ‘extreme’ music, can positively influence the listener, inspiring calmness rather than anger.

A study by the University of Queensland, the Australian public research institution in Brisbane, revealed that rather than proving the hypothesis that ‘extreme music causes anger’, the theory that ‘extreme music matches and helps to process anger’ was supported instead.

Focusing on heavy metal, emo, hardcore, punk, screamo and the various other subgenres featured in the category of ‘extreme’ music, honours student Leah Sharman and Dr Genevieve Dingle studied 39 regular listeners of extreme music, between the ages of 18 and 34.

‘We found the music regulated sadness and enhanced positive emotions,’ Sharman said. ‘When experiencing anger, extreme-music fans liked to listen to music that could match their anger.’

‘The music helped them explore the full gamut of emotion they felt, but also left them feeling more active and inspired,’ reads the study."

Einstein Kills Schrödinger’s Cat: Relativity Ruins Quantum World

"It’s been holding us back as well as holding us down. A previously overlooked effect of gravity on quantum systems could be messing up quantum experiments. If confirmed, it suggests that some quantum studies may be impossible to perform on Earth.

No matter how hard you try, you can’t be in two places at once. But if you’re an electron, popping up in multiple places is a way of life. The laws of quantum mechanics tell us that subatomic particles exist in this superposition of states until they are measured and found to be in just one – when their wave function collapses.

So why can’t we do the same party trick as an electron? It seems that once something gets large enough, it loses its quantum properties, a process known as decoherence. That’s mainly because larger objects interact with their environment, which forces them into one position or another. Erwin Schrödinger famously pointed out the absurdity of large-scale superposition with the example of a cat that is both dead and alive.

… The hope is that more precise experiments could place larger objects, such as a virus, into a superposition, getting us closer to Schrödinger’s mythical cat. But now it looks like there is a more fundamental obstacle: gravity."
~ Source: newscientist.com

Red-Green & Blue-Yellow: The Stunning Colors You Can’t See

"Is there an entire spectrum you’re not seeing?

Try to imagine reddish green — not the dull brown you get when you mix the two pigments together, but rather a color that is somewhat like red and somewhat like green. Or, instead, try to picture yellowish blue — not green, but a hue similar to both yellow and blue.

Is your mind drawing a blank? That’s because, even though those colors exist, you’ve probably never seen them. Red-green and yellow-blue are the so-called ‘forbidden colors.’ Composed of pairs of hues whose light frequencies automatically cancel each other out in the human eye, they’re supposed to be impossible to see simultaneously."
~ Source: yahoo.com

The Rise Of Cognitive Enhancers Is A Mass Social Experiment

"… Unless everyone is actually using cognitive enhancers, how can everyone be part of the experiment?

Here’s our thinking: imagine that in time we develop cognitive enhancement methods that are given the tick of clinical approval by the requisite number of citizens in white lab coats. Presumably ordinary people would then start using them because they can. Suddenly it’s possible to pop a pill and blitz calculus. Or perk up while transplanting someone’s heart and lungs, or while flying people across the Atlantic.

But here’s the catch. While cognitive enhancement might feel like a free choice at the start, once everyone round town is doing it, an insidious form of social coercion sets in. Just as the use of beta blockers has become widespread in the classical music scene, so too cognitive enhancement threatens to become a new “normal”, a de facto standard that pressures everyone to bio-hack their brains to keep up."

Image : pixabay.com

Ancient Greeks Were Afraid Of Zombies

"The ancient Greeks believed in ghostly versions of the dead who would rise from their graves and stalk the living, according to deviant burials unearthed in the necropolis of a Greek colony in Sicily.

Known as Passo Marinaro, the cemetery near the coastal town of Kamarina in southeastern Sicily, was in use from the 5th through 3rd centuries B.C. The necropolis has yielded approximately 2,905 burials; more than half contained grave goods, mostly terracotta vases, but also figurines and metal coins.

Two of the tombs were unique.

… ‘The heavy amphora fragments found in Tomb 653 were presumably intended to pin the individual to the grave and prevent it from seeing or rising,’ Sulosky Weaver said.

The other burial, labelled 693, contained the remains of a child of indeterminate sex about 8 to 13 years old. No signs of diseases were found on the remains, nevertheless the child was buried with five large stones placed on top of the body.

‘It appears that these stones were used to trap the body in its grave,’ Sulosky Weaver said.

It is unknown why the occupants of those burials were pinned in their graves, but “their special treatment suggests that necrophobic beliefs and practices were present in Greek Sicily,” Sulosky Weaver said."

Iridescent Mercury: An Ethereal, Colorful View of Our Innermost Planet

Image credit : NASA / JHU Applied Physics Lab / Carnegie Inst. Washington

"To the human eye, Mercury may resemble a dull, grey orb but this enhanced-color image from NASA’s Messenger probe, tells a completely different story. Swathes of iridescent blue, sandy-colored plains and delicate strands of greyish white, create an ethereal and colorful view of our Solar System’s innermost planet.

These contrasting colors have been chosen to emphasize the differences in the composition of the landscape across the planet. The darker regions exhibit low-reflectance material, particularly for light at redder wavelengths. As a result, these regions take on a bluer cast."
~ Source: scientificcomputing.com

☩ … And Three “Post Worthy” Lists ☩

What The Middle Class Doesn’t Understand About Rich People

"Few people in the middle class really understand the mindset of the richest people.

After all, if they did, they would be among the top earners as well. We’ve all heard the remarks: Rich people are lucky, rich people had an unfair advantage, rich people are crooks, rich people are selfish, etc. These are mostly empty statements with little proof to back them up.

Yes, the rich think and act differently from everyone else, and the differences are as extreme as they are numerous.

1. The wealthy are comfortable being uncomfortable.

Most people just want to be comfortable. Physical, psychological, and emotional comfort is the primary goal of the middle-class mindset.

The wealthy, on the other hand, learn early on that becoming a millionaire isn’t easy, and the need for comfort can be devastating. They learn to be comfortable while operating in a state of ongoing uncertainty. The great ones know there’s a price to pay for getting rich, but if they have the mental toughness to endure temporary pain, they can reap the harvest of abundant wealth. "
~ Source (and 4 other pointers): businessinsider.com

98 Of The Best Things In Life That Money Can’t Buy

"As the saying goes, the best things in life are free. There are certain things in life where currency has no value, such as friends, family, and good memories. A priceless asset is something no amount of money could ever buy but that is probably valued more than any material item you own. From happiness to honesty, these are some of life’s best treasures that cost nothing at all.

1. An honest opinion from a loved one.
  2. True friends who have your back.
  3. A family you can always count on.
  4. Someone who supports your dreams.
  5. Finding true love.
  6. Humor and laughter.
  7. Having a positive attitude."
    ~ Source (and the rest): msn.com

5 Amazing Stories About Ancient Egypt That Deserve To Be Movies

“We’ve seen stories of ancient Egypt on-screen before—the biblical tale The Prince of Egypt, the extremely long Cleopatra, and the Mummy trilogy, as well as that one episode of Futurama on the possibility of ancient aliens. But have we mined all the stories of ancient Egypt, which spanned thousands of years and several cultural milestones in human history? Of course not, and we have a ton more ground to cover…”
~ Source (includes priestess rappers and oracles as legal evidence): vanityfair.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

Congratulations are due to, among many others:

adhi69, whose work with Sitri was almost too successful;

Akasha, who used The Cusp’s Princess & The Pea method to win a quiet night’s sleep;

KingLexani808, who had a success with Dantalion’s sigil, and;

Blazewind Bluebird , who avoided a nasty traffic fine after also calling on Dantalion!

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, and are keeping them to themselves. :wink:

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Fascinus ☩

Look away now if penis-gods offend you.

Fascinus is the diety after whom the infamous Roman flying-phallus shaped charms called fascinum were named. And yes, his name is the origin of the word fascinating

Gallo-Roman examples of the fascinum in bronze

I came across him (no pun intended) researching this evening’s Monday Post on this page:

Wikipedia Erected A Page To Explain Ancient Rome’s Fascination With The Phallus

"The ancient Romans had a slew of gods and goddesses—212 by Wikipedia’s count—and there was a deity on hand for just about every occasion. One of the lesser-known gods was Fascinus, who represented sacred ‘masculine generative power,’ and whose symbol was a phallus. (Latin distinguishes between a phallus—a representation of a penis—and the male organ itself.) Fascinus was worshipped by wearing or carrying a phallic amulet or charm, also called a fascinus.

Strangest fact: The charms were believed to ward off evil, specifically the Evil Eye, especially to protect young boys and soldiers. However, that wasn’t the only use of the fascinus’ power. During the annual Festival Of Liber (a Romanized version of Dionysus, who as a god of wine, fertility, and freedom, was closely associated with Fascinus) a gigantic fascinus was carried around the countryside on a cart to ensure crop fertility."
~ Source: avclub.com

How fantastic is that?

Further in-depth reading about Fascinus available here: Fascinus & the Winged Phallus Tattoo, blogs.ucl.ac.uk

Suggestions wanted! If there’s a lesser-known spirit you’d like to see featured here, please PM me their details, any links, and ideally include some background, and/or your experiences with them, and your own artworks or sigils, etc.

☩ In The Skies ☩

24th June sees Mercury at its furthest western elongation, meaning it will be at its highest point above the horizon in the morning sky. More on that, and advice on where to look, here.

No From The Archives this week I’m afraid, my computer’s on its last legs & keeps crashing and I’m busy transferring to a shiny new one, so something had to give – I highly recommend viewing old posts by any member on here you find interesting though, there’s some great stuff buried away!

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

"At any given moment there is an orthodoxy, a body of ideas which it is assumed that all right-thinking people will accept without question. It is not exactly forbidden to say this, that or the other, but it is ‘not done’ to say it, just as in mid-Victorian times it was ‘not done’ to mention trousers in the presence of a lady.

Anyone who challenges the prevailing orthodoxy finds himself silenced with surprising effectiveness. A genuinely unfashionable opinion is almost never given a fair hearing, either in the popular press or in the highbrow periodicals."
~ George Orwell

☩ Thank You! ☩

♚ Kudos this week to Claidheam, for the link about the discovery of a huge new stone circle, and the ongoing support as well!

♚ And to Iam Incide for the link about the hidden spectrum, and to everyone else whose sent me suggestions and opinions about the Post!

Much appreciated, please remember to PM me any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, and anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

Bravo, Lady Eva!

I just discovered your Monday post thread. it is really great to see somebody picking out all the good posts not only in this website but around the interwebs.

keep up the good work!

☩ Update ☩

This week’s Monday Post will be 24 hours late due to an unexpected development in my (offline, non-magickal) life, please bear with me!

(Like this:

Not this!)

Someone call the cavalry!

I have some crazy shit going on… so with yet more apologies, the Monday Post will be here when it’s here, sorry - I made 2 wishes early on Monday morning, then they landed within 4 hours, catching me totally unpreoared, and now it’s crazy time keeping up!

If you have links and stuff you think other members may like? Please post them below! This thread needs opening up anyway for sharing the stuff you think is interesting, but doesn’t need a whole new topic, so now’s a good time. :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, here’s a quote which seems particularly apt:

“All our days are numbered, we cannot afford to be idle. To act on a bad idea is better to not act at all because the worth of the idea never becomes apparent until you do it. Sometimes this idea can be the smallest thing in the world, a little flame that you hunch over and cup with your hand and pray will not be extinguished by the storm that howls around it. If you can hold on to that flame, great things can be constructed around it, that are massive and powerful and world changing. All held up by the tiniest of ideas.”

~ Nick Cave, 20,000 Days on Earth

Humour score of magician’s plans being disrupted by unforseen success? EPIC! >.<

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the 8th edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

As you may have noticed, I dropped out last week, due to something pretty amazing that completely changed all my plans, in an echo of this old joke… oh well. :slight_smile:

Submissions wanted! See below for details.

☩ News & Articles ☩

Consciousness Has Less Control Than Believed, According To New Theory

"Consciousness—the internal dialogue that seems to govern one’s thoughts and actions—is far less powerful than people believe, serving as a passive conduit rather than an active force that exerts control, according to a new theory proposed by an SF State researcher.

Associate Professor of Psychology Ezequiel Morsella’s ‘Passive Frame Theory’ suggests that the conscious mind is like an interpreter helping speakers of different languages communicate.

… Consciousness, per Morsella’s theory, is more reflexive and less purposeful than conventional wisdom would dictate. Because the human mind experiences its own consciousness as sifting through urges, thoughts, feelings and physical actions, people understand their consciousness to be in control of these myriad impulses. But in reality, Morsella argues, consciousness does the same simple task over and over, giving the impression that it is doing more than it actually is."

Image : Ralph Buckley, on Flickr

Big Bang Nixed “Our Universe Evolved From The Black Hole Of A Collapsed 4-D Star”?

“It might be time to bid the Big Bang bye-bye. Cosmologists have guessed that the Universe made from the wreckage expelled when a four-dimensional star collapsed into a black hole — a situation that would help to clarify why the cosmos appears to be so uniform in all the ways. The regular Big Bang model tells us that the Universe blasted out of an infinitely compressed point, or singularity. But not one person knows what would have caused this outbreak: the known laws of physics cannot tell us what took place at that moment.”
~ Source: physics-astronomy.com

Don’t Relax: Stress Can Be Good For You

"Pounding heart. Sweaty palms. Shortness of breath. That’s stress, and it’s bad for you, right?

… For her first decade as a health psychologist, McGonigal faithfully bought into the familiar thinking that stress is to be dreaded and avoided. Then new research prompted a 180-degree switch in her approach.

… McGonigal’s starting point was a US study that tracked 30,000 adults for eight years.

‘They asked people: “How much stress have you experienced in the last year?” They also asked: “Do you believe that stress is harmful for your health?” And then they used public death records to find out who died.’

The researchers discovered a key distinction among those who had experienced a lot of stress. In that group, those who believed their stress was damaging had a 43 per cent increased risk of dying; but those who did not worry about the great stress they were under were not only less likely to die, as you might imagine – but they were also less likely to die than those who experienced relatively little stress.

‘When you change your mind about stress, you can change your body’s response to stress,’ says McGonigal."
~ Source: telegraph.co.uk

Artificial Intelligence Machine Gets Testy With Its Programmer

"Researchers have shown that machines are inching closer to self-learning, and perhaps even copping a little attitude.

Over at Google GOOGL -0.10%, a computer program using a database of movie scripts was asked again and again by researchers to define morality. It struggles to do so, and in a conversation recorded by its human engineers, becomes exasperated and ends the conversation by lashing out at its human inquisitor."
~ Source: blogs.wsj.com

”Psychic” animals are recruited to help Chinese scientists predict deadly earthquakes

"Most people think their pets are clever, but scientists in China are hoping some extra-special animals could help them predict earthquakes and save thousands of lives.

Seismologists in Nanjing city in east China’s Jiangsu province have built seven new observation sites to examine animal behaviour, in the hope that any unusual activity will help them predict impending quakes, the People’s Daily Online reports.

The sites will house pigs, chickens and fish, all of whom have been hailed for their quake-forecasting abilities in the past.

Researchers maintain that, when an earthquake is imminent, the animals will begin to act strangely, as they are far more sensitive to any changes in their environment than humans"
~ Source: dailymail.co.uk

Secret Tunnel Near “Dracula’s Dungeon” Uncovered

"Archaeologists still aren’t entirely sure where a secret passageway beneath a castle in Turkey leads, but visitors can now explore it for themselves. Not far from where Vlad the Impaler—the inspiration for Dracula—was reportedly held in one of two dungeons inside Tokat Castle, the tunnel stretches for about 100 feet before the path is blocked, reports Hurriyet Daily News.

“We have made progress. Since it has an angle of 45 degrees, it is hard to remove stones and earth,” culture and tourism director Abdurrahman Akyuz says of the tunnel, found during restoration efforts in 2009."
~ Source: foxnews.com

3 Powerful Mindful Practices For Every Day

"It’s important to have practices we can turn to every day to keep us grounded — practices that cultivate calm and focus and connection, particularly with ourselves. Because this is our foundation for having meaningful days, and thereby a meaningful life.

In MBSR Every Day: Daily Practices from the Heart of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction authors Elisha Goldstein, Ph.D, and Bob Stahl, Ph.D, share valuable tools for helping readers reduce suffering and savor greater peace. They note that MBSR has a variety of benefits. For instance, it reduces anxiety and chronic pain. It also boosts psychological well-being and enhances quality of life."
~ Source: psychcentral.com

8 Weirdest Sex Things That Went Down In Greek Mythology

"The ancient Greeks knew how to tell a good story. Greek mythology is brimming with epic battles, melodramatic fighting between gods and goddesses, awesome creature mash-ups (“Hmm … let’s give this dude the head of a bull! And I think this dog needs three heads!”), and some pretty weird stuff involving sex. We like to think of our own age as the originator of sexual adventure and kink, but Greek mythology offers ample proof that crazy sex stuff is far from a modern invention.
~ Source: bustle.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

Recent congratulations are due to, among many others:

Dreammind, for a successful career-related working with Belial;

Virdon Djinn , for success with Saint Appolonia who helped with some serious dental problems;

Lucas B. & Skinny_Man for their posts in the new SUCCESS! Threrad – one to watch.

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, including those who can’t share too much, but are walking round with a big grin in private. :wink:

☩ Spirit Of The Week : The Titan Koios ☩

The Titan Koios is an obscure and enigmatic figure. Ovidius’ Metamorphoses even discusses in his account of divine beings: “Latona (Leto), that Titaness whom Coeus (Koios) sired, whoever he may be.” Even his name has been glossed from Ancient Greek as “Questioning” or “Query”. Perhaps “Riddle” wouldn’t be too far off, either?

Image : mythology.wikia.com

Now already we have to acknowledge that not nearly as much is known about the Titans from surviving sources as about the Olympians, but what are some basic guidelines geared toward the practical, that is to say, what might have a useful application in our magical practice?

Firstly, the Titans are ancient, they are primordial in the sense of preceding even the ancient Hellenes’ conception of the gods themselves.

Secondly, while the Olympian pantheon came to represent the Divine Order under the aegis of Zeus, the Titans… well… did whatever the hell they wanted. Some sided with Zeus, some actively rebelled to maintain their supremacy, and some said “screw this, I’m gonna do me!”

This makes it tempting to draw parallels to the nature of Aesir v. Jotnar, Deva v. Asura/Asura v. Daeva, even some personal gnosis of the angel “v.” daemon relationship. My personal view is that these worldviews, or workable paradigms if you immerse yourself in them, are qualitatively different. But! There are things to be intuited from the fact that those parallels do exist!

So we may have a picture of the Titans as much less "ordered, " more “selfish” powerhouses of primordial strength and passion that just might be very sympathetic to, say, a black magician’s attitudes.

But enough generalization. What about Koios in particular?

Many sources ascribe him as a “Titan of Intelligence” as if it were common knowledge not requiring further elaboration; this probably stems from his name alone. Another piece of the puzzle may lie in the names associated with him in the divine genealogies the Hellenes were fond of.

According to these, his wife was Phoibe, the lunar Titaness of oracular prophecy, thus it is tempting to ascribe Koios a role either as Intellect complimenting Intuition, or even as a Heavenly prophetic counterpart to Phoibe’s Earthly aspect connected to Delphoi.

But to reach the answer we’re looking for, the rest of the equation is supplied by the fruit of Koios and Phoibe’s union.

A pair of daughters are attributed to them. One, Leto, is famous for bearing Zeus’ twin children Apollon and Artemis. The other daughter is the stellar Titaness of prophecy, Asteria, whose own daughter was a certain Hekate.

Finally, there is another name associated with Koios, and that is “Polos”, associating him with the cardinal pole of North, much like Krios, Iapetos, and Huperion embodied South, East, and West.

Image : Pole Star by daita saru, on Flickr

A fragmentary tradition still asserts that somehow, Koios escaped Tartaros and made his way to the North and the Pole-Star Polos, where later tradition held his famously oracular grandson Apollon to spend his time away from Delphoi as Hyperborean Apollon.

Perhaps he waits there still for the bold seeker eager to test against this “Query” and bold question-mark in the face of Olympian order and law.

~ By Claidheam

☩ In The Skies ☩

We’re coming up to a New Moon on the 16th July at 01:24 UTC, and to go a little less astrological and a little more Star Trek, NASA’s New Horizons probe will be flying by Pluto on the 14th – after giving everyone a scare by dropping out of contact for just over an hour on the 4th July.

You can read more about it on this page – there’s even a free app.

Image Credit : NASA/JHUAPL/SWRI

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“Ambition is an idol, on whose wings great minds are carried only to extreme; to be sublimely great or to be nothing.”
~ Shakti Gawain

☩ Thank You! ☩

♚ Very well-earned Monday Post Kudos this week to Claidheam, for the link about the black hole that could have birthed our universe, and Iam Incide for the argumentative robot, and the mysterious dungeon tunnels – and to everyone else who’s shown support (and been patient when last week’s Post failed to materialise!).

And as ever, please do PM me any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

Lady Eva… I really want to thank you for the efforts you put in your Monday posts… Really Appreciate it :slight_smile:

Thank you Eva Devi for mentioning my name ! :slight_smile:

The Monday post is like a little weekly published magazine for me with full of thought provoking information.

I feel so much gratitude for Shakti Gawain. Her creative visualization book was a great help to improve my visualization technique.

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the 9th edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

☩ News & Articles ☩

The Boneyard Of The Bizarre That Rewrites Our Celtic Past To Include Hybrid-Animal Monster Myths

"Ancient Mediterranean cultures thought nothing of splicing different animals together to form fantastical mythical beasts, such as the half-lion, half-goat chimera or the half-lion, half-eagle griffin. Until now, however, ancient Britons were not credited with such imagination.

… One particularly bizarre arrangement of animal bones also involved a human skeleton. A young woman appears to have been sacrificed (there was an indication that her throat had probably been slit) – and was then buried on a ‘bed’ of specially arranged cattle, sheep, dog and horse bones. Significantly these animal bones had been deliberately sorted to mirror the bones of the dead woman. "
~ Source: independent.co.uk

Real-Life Vampires Have A Really Hard Time Finding Health Care

"It is not easy being a vampire, and even harder to come out of the coffin to a physician or therapist for fear they will misinterpret the habit of ingesting the blood of willing donors or succumb to stereotyping, a study finds.

Research led by D.J. Williams, director of social work at Idaho State University, indicated that people who identify themselves as “real” vampires — that is, needing others’ blood to gain energy — would not disclose their practices to those in the helping professions and risk reactions like ridicule, disgust and possible diagnosis of a mental illness.

The paper, published in the latest issue of Critical Social Work, a peer-reviewed journal based in Canada, found that authentic vampires as opposed to 'lifestyle vampires — black-clad figures with phony fangs — might be stereotyped by clinicians whose fields discourage biases.

Williams, who has studied self-identified vampires for nearly a decade, finds they come from every walk of life and profession, including doctors, attorneys and candlestick makers.

‘They are successful, ordinary people,’ he said."
~ Source: nypost.com

Prince Of Darkness! ‘Devil’ Statue Hidden For 1,000 Years Spotted In Cathedral

"It is the devil they didn’t know.

For 1,000 years a tiny Satan has been hiding high up on Chester Cathedral.

Now high-tech has uncovered the little devil.

…Legend has it that a medieval priest was overseeing the construction of the cathedral and was startled to see Satan staring at him through one of the windows.

The next morning a stonemason was sent up to carve an image of the devil in chains in an attempt to frighten him from ever returning.

… Bizarrely, close-up footage of The Chester Imp taken by drone cameras was mysteriously corrupted when the team came to download it."
~ Source: irishmirror.ie

Researchers In Japan Show Off Super Fast Laser Holograms You Can Touch

"The dream of being able to touch and interact with holograms was the subject of many science fiction stories, but a lab in Japan has actually accomplished the feat.

Unlike the fictional holodeck on Star Trek, which used force fields to create a sense of touch, researchers at Japan’s Digital Nature Group used a different method: femtosecond lasers.

This kind of laser-induced plasma 3D imagery has been demonstrated before to show off aerial plasma 3D graphics, but this is the first time such a mechanism has been created that is not harmful to the human touch. "
~ Source: mashable.com ♚ Kudos to Iam Incide for spotting this!

Hibernating Bears Could Hold The Key To Long-Distance Space Travel

"Astronauts could protect themselves against bone wastage by harnessing a unique biological process that allows black bears to maintain their skeletons during hibernation.

‘This could be the basis for a new therapy for astronauts, or people with a bone-related chronic illness,’ said Meghan McGee-Lawrence, assistant professor in cellular biology and anatomy at Georgia Regents University in Augusta, and an author of the study. "

Six Things Everyone Should Know About Quantum Physics

“Quantum physics is usually just intimidating from the get-go. It’s kind of weird and can seem counter-intuitive, even for the physicists who deal with it every day. But it’s not incomprehensible. If you’re reading something about quantum physics, there are really six key concepts about it that you should keep in mind. Do that, and you’ll find quantum physics a lot easier to understand.”
~ Source: forbes.com

The Science Of Swearing: What Lies Behind The Use Of Four-Letter Words?

“… Since childhood we have learned to associate swearing with the emotionally charged situations in which it tends to be most prominent, such as injury, conflict and perhaps violence. So swearing also awakens ideas that a drama may be about to unfold and makes us feel uneasy for that reason. Swearing adds an edge to proceedings because of its links with our more primitive selves and by association with previous adrenaline-prompting situations. This is one reason why swearing can provoke an emotional response. In addition, there’s evidence that swearing is handled differently by the brain compared with regular language. Despite the general difficulties with language that aphasics have, some patients can still swear fluently. The fact that individuals with brain damage to key language areas can nevertheless swear, indicates that compared with regular language, swearing is a special case.”
~ Source: independent.co.uk

Ten Pairs Of Opposite Traits That Creative People Exhibit

"This beautiful excerpt from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi’s Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention beautifully illustrates why it’s so hard to pin down creativity and creative people. His book passes the Lindy test — it was written many years ago, which is incredible in today’s world of pop psychology.

‘Are there no traits that distinguish creative people? If I had to express in one word what makes their personalities different from others, it would be complexity. They show tendencies of thought and action that in most people are segregated.’"
~ Source: farnamstreetblog.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

This week, big congratulations are due to, among many others:

Milla, for a fast successful result with Barashakushu;

Finiz, who got help from Amon and Asmodeus within 48 hours, and;

Barskevilles Dog, who’s having a very successful 2nd round of working through Mastering Evocation!

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes they’re keeping quiet about… :slight_smile:

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Baba Yaga

Hello everyone, it’s Arcane. I am going to talk about the Slavic goddess of hugs and cuddles.

Now that I have your attention, she isn’t really the goddess of hugs and cuddles. She’s actually known for having knives for teeth, eyes that can turn you to stone, and eat children.

Still here? Great. I like curious people better than I do the easily-frightened dabblers.

I am going to explore a wonderful spirit of Slavic origin. Her history, her etymology, her lore, her meaning to me, and her benefits.

This spirit is known as Baba Yaga, the Crone, the Bony-Legged Witch, the Ježi-Baba, the Babaroga, and more. For the purposes of this post, I’m gonna call her Grandmother. Why? Because I can!

The word ‘‘baba’’, sounds like childish babbling, it probably is, but it is a pejorative in most Slavic languages for an old woman, a crone, or a spinster. Or all three.

This one is somewhat obvious. Older women were thought to be keepers of ancient secrets, mighty witches with control of the universe, mothers not just to their kids but to the whole villages. She has power, people should and do fear and respect her.

The ‘‘Yaga’’ part, is very ambiguous. In the 19th century, it was proposed that the derivation of Proto-Slavic *ož and Sanskrit अहि ahi (‘serpent, snake’). This etymology has subsequently been explored by other scholars in the 20th century.

That etymology is uncertain, however, it does hint at the serpent’s significance in black magick. The black magician looks at the serpent, as a symbol of forbidden knowledge, that has been shared to the spellbinder (needed to use that term!) from the rebels of Eden.

The serpent has a long history as a symbol of adversarial power, forbidden knowledge, riding the currents of power, and so much more. This is something a single post cannot get into, and I do hope most reading this are at least familiar with the black magician’s view of the serpent.

Baba Yaga has been around for what most people call a long-ass time. She was old when Perun was in diapers. And she’s seen it all, and learned the inner mechanics of the world.

She is considered a patron of magicians, and the acquiring of forbidden knowledge is one of the great drives of the black magician, one of the benefits of this entity, and an additional proof, that she is an entity of a more demonic nature.

Even Anton LaVey classified her as a demon!

Ježi-Baba means ‘‘creepy crone’’, not very flattering for grandmother, perhaps, but still a popular term in places like Poland. Babaroga, comes from the Balkans, and it’s the term I grew up with. It means ‘‘horned crone’’ which makes a heck of a lot of sense, when you know she’s a demon. Or at least of demonic origin.

And like most demons, she too was a goddess. This is also a popular theory for the origin of her name. In modern-day Ukraine where the Slavs lived, woods used to be filled with statuettes of this entity, called ‘‘yagas’’ that people would pray to for good fortune.

She became a universal goddess of death, and regeneration, among other things. This is also where the benefits of working with her come in. To some, she is a psychopomp, and can be a mediator between the worlds of life and death, as well as an effective healer.

She is also praised as a goddess of female sexuality, and feminine energy, as well as wild and powerful lust. An initiator into powerful secrets of sex magic. To some, she is a totemic maternal ancestor.

Her grip over the Powers of Darkness, Autumn and Winter, and Black Magic as a whole, make her a very powerful teacher of ancient knowledge. And these are all more dark aspects of Grandma. She is also a very shamanic entity, much like the witches of old were. Ye know, before they all went down-market because of bad advertising.

Abilities:

She has the ability to work with time as well, much like some demons, slowing down, speeding it up, and similar. I will explain where this comes from later because it’s interesting.

She can help improve magical sight and hearing. She is, therefore, a jack-of-all trades, aeon-old, master witch, who’s ready to reveal to you powerful secrets of black magic…

She is said to be a mistress of the elements, as well as nigh-omniscient and nigh-omnipresent, which, in the world of demons, isn’t that uncommon.

She’s vague on her past, and I have no idea whether she was a human witch once herself, who ascended, though, that’d be one heck of a story.

History:

The first clear reference of her appears in a manual on Russian Grammar in 1755. Throughout various folkloric narratives, she has some traits that stay constant.

She lives in a house built of human bones. Her home security is guaranteed to chill you to the bone — the house is surrounded by a bone fence containing inset skulls whose eye sockets light up in the dark. And it’s a mobile home — it runs around supported on gigantic chicken legs. Coming soon to a forest near you.

If that doesn’t chicken you out, she owns a black cat, and rides on a giant mortar and pestle, crushing everything in her path. Her hair is white, aged beyond natural years, and her eyes disturbingly haunting, whereas her teeth seem so sharp. She is so skinny, that she is practically skeletal, hence the name Baba Yaga the Bony Legged Witch.

There are many myths and stories that have come about featuring her. The opera, Rusalka. The story of Vasilisa the Beautiful. The two orphan kids who get saved by a cat. That story with Ivan. That other story with that other Ivan. The third story with the third Ivan…

The stories of her ferocity, ravenous hunger, viciousness are greatly overexaggerated. Besides her impossible house, most of those who go in never leave, as Baba Yaga washes them, feeds them and then sits them on a giant spatula, before putting them in her oven.

In many stories, the fate of those entering her hut is in their own hands. A guest may, or may not, fit into the oven, depending on how they sit on the spatula. Although she eats as much as 10 men, Baba Yaga is very skinny and bony, like a skeleton. Her nose is very long and hooked.

Why then, would anyone want to seek out her help?Well, besides of what I said above, on what she can do for you, one should also keep in mind that this spirit is very willing to work with those of Slavic blood. ‘‘You have the Russian scent’’ is her opening line in a lot of stories.

Grandmother oftentimes gives advice, finds weapons for, and teaches those brave enough to ask, and I consider her teachings to be of value, for this spirit has A LOT to offer, and the magician should be ready to learn.

She has several servants that are of interest. The first are the Three Horsemen. They are three, mysterious figures, that come riding through the sky. One horseman is white, one red, and one black.

These three Horsemen are called Bright Dawn, Red Sun, and Black Night. As they bring Dawn, Dusk and Night. Few know why they really work for Grandmother. Many propose some old bargain, or others generosity. Either way, they are the ones that can teach time magic. When together, they are said to be unbeatable.

Her cat is a trickster. He has often worked against her, but he is still a mighty familiar spirit, and may be evoked to help the magician. A talking black cat is already cool enough!

Finally, there’s her herdsman, and potentially her son, Koschei the Deathless who deserves an entirely different post altogether.

~ By Arcane

☩ In The Skies ☩

The New Horizons probe does its closest flyby to Pluto in just under a day from now - full details and updates from pluto.jhuapl.edu.

Meanwhile there’s a New Moon at 01:24 UTC this Thursday 16th July.

Image from Sidereus Nuncius, by Galileo Galilei

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.”
~ Abraham Lincoln

☩ Thank You! ☩

♚ Kudos this week to Arcane & Iam Incide! :slight_smile:

Want to be contribute something for the next Monday Post? PM me - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

Lady Eva thank you for mentioning my post here :smiley:

Thanks for giving me permission to, it’s a great thread and really inspiring. :slight_smile:

A great read, Lady Eva…