The "Monday Post"

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the pilot edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

I don’t know if this is going to be a success but thought it might be fun to try, so here goes… :slight_smile:

Submissions wanted! See below for details.

☩ News & Articles ☩

Study Hints At Awareness After Death

"Scientists have long rolled their eyes at near-death experiences, chalking them up to the effects of anesthesia, or low oxygen, or religious and spiritual hallucinations.

But it’s hard to square that, some argue, with a new 4.5-year study involving 2,060 patients that found what researchers claim may be awareness after the body and brain has shut down. One particularly striking case describes a 57-year-old man whose heart stopped beating for three minutes. After resuscitation, he was able to recount sights and sounds that corresponded to the period when his heart was not beating."
~ Source: discovery.com

The Mind-Bending Effects Of Feeling Two Hearts

"People with more bodily awareness tend have more intense reactions to emotive pictures and report being more greatly moved by them; they are also better at describing their feelings. Importantly, this sensitivity seems to extend to others’ feelings…

These secret bodily signals may also lie behind our intuition – the indefinable hunches that you have the winning hand in poker…"
~ Source: bbc.com/future

Hunt For Ancient Royal Tomb In Mexico Takes Mercurial Twist

"A Mexican archeologist hunting for a royal tomb in a deep, dark tunnel beneath a towering pre-Aztec pyramid has made a discovery that may have brought him a step closer: liquid mercury.

In the bowels of Teotihuacan, a mysterious ancient city that was once the largest in the Americas, Sergio Gomez this month found “large quantities” of the silvery metal in a chamber at the end of a sacred tunnel sealed for nearly 1,800 years.

… Unsure why the mercury was put there, Gomez says the metal may have been used to symbolize an underworld river or lake."
~ Source: reuters.com

Siberia’s Resurgent Shamanism

"One of the world’s oldest spiritual belief systems has attracted new followers since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Despite being driven to the edges of society, shamanism - the belief in good and evil spirits and rituals to appease them - has experienced a resurgence in recent years.

…To accommodate the increased following, the shamans are constructing a new temple in Ulan Ude that will comfortably house 300 people, with eight yurts around the outside."
~ Source: aljazeera.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

Please send me links to other member’s stories of successful magick that have inspired you the most in the past month, and they’ll be featured in this section, with a thank-you to the contributors as well, in the each new edition of The Monday Post!

I skimmed some recent posts for this first edition, and in the past month congratulations are due to, among many others:

Frater Dark Matter, for a spooky and wonderful event with the candles in his Temple;

Arcane for his successful pact with Dhjuty, and;

Dagon, for sharing the ritual of rebirth and initiation using his magickal name that’s helped him over the past 3 years.

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, including those who can’t share too much, but are walking round with a big grin in private. :wink:

☩ Spirit Of The Week : ARZEL ☩

Arzel is listed in the opening incantation in the book The Miracle Of New Avatar Power, by Geof Gray-Cobb: “I call on Thee, Mighty Arzel, who stands in the East, to assist me this and all my ventures. I know now that my New Avatar Power is flooding to the surface.”

Arzel appears to have made himself known to GG-C as a willing gatekeeper to this system - a pared-down, modernised and funky revamp of the concept of grimoires packed full of spirits, scribbled sigils, and elaborate rituals. Arzel evidently saw into Geof’s mind and thought that this was good!

So, perhaps he’s worth contacting for advice on modern-day improvised or pared down workings? I’ll be giving him a try sometime this week, will report back on how it goes!

☩ In The Skies ☩

We have a New Moon on next Monday May 18th at 04:13 UTC, and Mercury goes retrograde in Gemini at 01:49 UTC on Monday May 19th (that’s 8:49pm on the 18th, for Eastern Time USA).

☩ From The Archives ☩

There’s so much good stuff buried away in the archives here, so each week The Monday Post will feature a BALG Forum post that’s more than 12 months old, and which contains some useful information or advice that’s slipped down out of sight - please PM me with any buried treasures you’ve found useful!

This week I’m going to start off with a classic:

E.A. talking about the best way to prevent “lust for results” from affecting the success of your hard work during evocations for money and material success.

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“Trust because you are willing to accept the risk, not because it’s safe or certain.”
~ Anonymous

☩ Submissions & Feedback Wanted! ☩

Did you enjoy this post? Do you think it’s something worth reading on a weekly basis? Comments below, or PM me direct! :slight_smile:

And, if it makes it to another week, I can’t do this alone - please PM me any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

• This is a Kudos: ♚

☩ Thank You! ☩

Thanks for reading, hope to see you next week! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like the idea of the Monday Post, and would like to see more of it. Maybe tag it so it stays at the topsection?

Done, thanks! This is just a “toe in the water” kind of deal and to see if it’s something anyone wants to see more of. :slight_smile:

Very well put together. I like this very much! Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more of these.

[quote=“Lady Eva, post:1, topic:5247”]☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the pilot edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

I don’t know if this is going to be a success but thought it might be fun to try, so here goes… :slight_smile:

☩ News & Articles ☩

Study Hints At Awareness After Death

"Scientists have long rolled their eyes at near-death experiences, chalking them up to the effects of anesthesia, or low oxygen, or religious and spiritual hallucinations.

But it’s hard to square that, some argue, with a new 4.5-year study involving 2,060 patients that found what researchers claim may be awareness after the body and brain has shut down. One particularly striking case describes a 57-year-old man whose heart stopped beating for three minutes. After resuscitation, he was able to recount sights and sounds that corresponded to the period when his heart was not beating."
~ Source: discovery.com

The Mind-Bending Effects Of Feeling Two Hearts

"People with more bodily awareness tend have more intense reactions to emotive pictures and report being more greatly moved by them; they are also better at describing their feelings. Importantly, this sensitivity seems to extend to others’ feelings…

These secret bodily signals may also lie behind our intuition – the indefinable hunches that you have the winning hand in poker…"
~ Source: bbc.com/future

Hunt For Ancient Royal Tomb In Mexico Takes Mercurial Twist

"A Mexican archeologist hunting for a royal tomb in a deep, dark tunnel beneath a towering pre-Aztec pyramid has made a discovery that may have brought him a step closer: liquid mercury.

In the bowels of Teotihuacan, a mysterious ancient city that was once the largest in the Americas, Sergio Gomez this month found “large quantities” of the silvery metal in a chamber at the end of a sacred tunnel sealed for nearly 1,800 years.

… Unsure why the mercury was put there, Gomez says the metal may have been used to symbolize an underworld river or lake."
~ Source: reuters.com

Siberia’s Resurgent Shamanism

"One of the world’s oldest spiritual belief systems has attracted new followers since the fall of the Soviet Union.

Despite being driven to the edges of society, shamanism - the belief in good and evil spirits and rituals to appease them - has experienced a resurgence in recent years.

…To accommodate the increased following, the shamans are constructing a new temple in Ulan Ude that will comfortably house 300 people, with eight yurts around the outside."
~ Source: aljazeera.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

Please send me links to other member’s stories of successful magick that have inspired you the most in the past month, and they’ll be featured in this section, with a thank-you to the contributors as well, in the each new edition of The Monday Post!

I skimmed some recent posts for this first edition, and in the past month congratulations are due to, among many others:

Frater Dark Matter, for a spooky and wonderful event with the candles in his Temple;

Arcane for his successful pact with Dhjuty, and;

Dagon, for sharing the ritual of rebirth and initiation using his magickal name that’s helped him over the past 3 years.

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, including those who can’t share too much, but are walking round with a big grin in private. :wink:

☩ Spirit Of The Week : ARZEL ☩

Arzel is listed in the opening incantation in the book The Miracle Of New Avatar Power, by Geof Gray-Cobb: “I call on Thee, Mighty Arzel, who stands in the East, to assist me this and all my ventures. I know now that my New Avatar Power is flooding to the surface.”

Arzel appears to have made himself known to GG-C as a willing gatekeeper to this system - a pared-down, modernised and funky revamp of the concept of grimoires packed full of spirits, scribbled sigils, and elaborate rituals. Arzel evidently saw into Geof’s mind and thought that this was good!

So, perhaps he’s worth contacting for advice on modern-day improvised or pared down workings? I’ll be giving him a try sometime this week, will report back on how it goes!

☩ In The Skies ☩

We have a New Moon on next Monday May 18th at 04:13 UTC, and Mercury goes retrograde in Gemini at 01:49 UTC on Monday May 19th (that’s 8:49pm on the 18th, for Eastern Time USA).

☩ From The Archives ☩

There’s so much good stuff buried away in the archives here, so each week The Monday Post will feature a BALG Forum post that’s more than 12 months old, and which contains some useful information or advice that’s slipped down out of sight - please PM me with any buried treasures you’ve found useful!

This week I’m going to start off with a classic:

E.A. talking about the best way to prevent “lust for results” from affecting the success of your hard work during evocations for money and material success.

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“Trust because you are willing to accept the risk, not because it’s safe or certain.”
~ Anonymous

Did you enjoy this post? Do you think it’s something worth reading on a weekly basis? Comments below, or PM me direct! :slight_smile:

And, if it makes it to another week, I can’t do this alone - please PM me any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

☩ Thank You! ☩

[/quote]

Oh,thank you Eva!You are so sweet!!!Thanks for mentioning me!

This would be less surprising if you knew me IRL,and knew that I really like getting attention.

Whow this is fucking cool! its like news, but way better.

Reminder!

If you want to nominate a member’s success story from the past month for inclusion here, or have a candidate for “Spirit Of the Week” - PM me in time for Monday’s edition! :slight_smile:

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the second edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

This week we have a borderline Saturnian theme, and the happy information that the water you brushed your teeth in this morning may have come from outer space. Just to make your day that little bit weirder… :wink:

☩ News & Articles ☩

Buried In Time – 4th Century Roman Curse Tablet

"‘Curse tablets’ of the Greco-Roman world are associated mostly with civil and criminal court cases but also with unsolved crimes and personal grievances. In the Roman Empire they were usually inscribed with a stylus on lead tablets…

The heavy, cold and dull nature of lead also made it appear a natural medium for inscribed curses because such attributes, commonly associated with lifelessness, were thought to be transferable to the targeted individuals." (Article includes full text of curse)
~ Source: hampshirearchaeology.wordpress.com

Exo-Asteroid Debris Shows How Water Reached Earth

“Dr. Roberto Raddi, of the University of Warwick’s Astronomy and Astrophysics Group, said: ‘It is believed that the Earth was initially dry, but our research strongly supports the view that the oceans we have today were created as a result of impacts by water-rich comets or asteroids.’”

△ Artist’s impression of a rocky and water-rich asteroid being torn apart by the strong gravity of the white dwarf star. Similar objects in the Solar System likely delivered the bulk of water on Earth and represent the building blocks of the terrestrial planets.
Image credit: Mark A. Garlick (space-art.co.uk) / University of Warwick.
~ Source: astronomynow.com

Stephen Hawking Warns Computers Will Overtake Humans Within 100 Years

"Stephen Hawking today warned that computers will overtake humans in terms of intelligence at some point within the next century.

Speaking at the Zeitgeist 2015 conference in London, the internationally renowned cosmologist and Cambridge University professor, said: ‘Computers will overtake humans with AI at some within the next 100 years. When that happens, we need to make sure the computers have goals aligned with ours.’"
~ Source: techworld.com

The Benefits of No-Tech Note Taking

“Students tested right after a lecture tended to answer factual questions equally well regardless of how they took notes, but students who handwrote their notes did consistently better on conceptual questions. What’s more, when students were tested again a week later, the longhand note takers performed consistently better on both factual and conceptual questions.”
~ Source: chronicle.com

Food Shame: The Morality of Eating

"How did we exchange sanity for perfectionism, and how do we find our way back? When it comes to making simple food decisions, where do we draw the line between putting helpful knowledge into practice and putting ourselves through a moral gauntlet?

… We can choose to live in this interminable conflict, or we can choose to live outside of it. Rather than try to compete or race to keep up or disown our desires, we can center ourselves in our values, our needs, our understanding and our circumstances. In the confluence of these, we find our center – the sanest place to live and choose from."
~ Source: marksdailyapple.com

Crossing Quarters

"The cycle of four cross quarter days and four quarter (two solstices and two equinoxes) comprise the modern ‘Wheel of the Year’ on the Pagan calendar. The Christian holidays of Easter and Christmas also have their equinoctial and solstice roots.

The other three cross quarter holidays on our modern calendar are: Groundhog Day (February 2nd), Lammas Day (August 1st) and Halloween on October 31st. It’s great to see suburbanites don garb and request treats in a yearly re-enactment of ancient ritual.

But the solstice and equinoctial points aren’t fixed on the Gregorian calendar, but instead drift as we attempt to keep measured time in sync with astronomical time. These midway dates should actually be referred to as ‘cross-quarter tie-in holidays,’ as the actual midpoint between solstice and equinox can be determined in several different ways."
~ Source: universetoday.com

☩ Member Success Stories Needed! ☩

✧ Congratulations to 333, who 's just posted a great opening working with lesser-known spirit Cimejes (or Kimaris).

Don’t forget to PM me with any member success stories that have inspired you recently. :slight_smile:

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes in the past week, including those exercising the 4th power of the Sphinx…

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Chronos ☩

Wikipedia tells us, "Chronos (/ˈkroʊnɒs/; Greek: Χρόνος, “time,” also transliterated as Khronos or Latinized as Chronus) is the personification of Time in pre-Socratic philosophy and later literature.

"Chronos was imagined as a god, serpentine shape in form, with three heads - those of a man, a bull, and a lion. He and his consort, serpentine Ananke (Inevitability), circled the primal world egg in their coils and split it apart to form the ordered universe of earth, sea and sky.

“In the Orphic cosmogony, the unaging Chronos produced Aether and Chaos, and made a silvery egg in the divine Aether. It produced the hermaphroditic god Phanes, who gave birth to the first generation of gods and is the ultimate creator of the cosmos.”

Geological Time Spiral : Wikimedia

In Hinduism, the passage of time comes under the purview of Kali, the great destroyer: “The name Kali comes from kāla, which means black, time, death, lord of death: Shiva. Since Shiva is called Kāla — the eternal time — the name of Kālī, his consort, also means “Time” or “Death” (as in “time has come”).” ~ Wikipedia

We’re all ruled by time - from the morning alarm clock to the ticking approach of death, it’s the one force you can’t banish, deny, or ignore.

But is time a god? Is time your god? Does it even exist?

Want to nominate a lesser-known spirit (god, demon, angel, nature spirit etc) for Spirit Of The Week? PM me with a brief description of your experience with them - if you want include a piece of art you drew to represent the spirit, or your own version of their sigil, that would be great!

☩ In The Skies ☩

Following on from that theme of Time, last year’s May 10th Saturn opposition created a lot of interest on the forums thanks to E.A. pointing out several interesting “coincidences” about it (described in this video starting around 55:00).

This year, Saturn reaches opposition for 2015 on May 23rd at 02:00 Universal Time (UT), which equates to 9pm EDT 22nd May, for those of you in the USA.

This means Saturn’s at its closest approach to Earth, with its face fully illuminated by the Sun and brighter than any other time of the year - also, visible all night long. More info and illustrations of where to look here: earthsky.org.

✧ Solstice Countdown: Sunday, 21 June 2015, 16:39 UTC - just over 33 days to go. If anyone’s interested in a shared forum ritual, start a thread! :slight_smile:

☩ From The Archives ☩

This week two cracking good posts by forum member DK The Mage covering “Yogic and Chi-Gong Exercises Taught By Demons” and a full description of creating an awesome black mirror:

✧ “Very rarely do I close an evocation without requesting a few energy exercises. I now have a pretty decent list of exercises, some of which have fallen to the back burner, while others I continue to do daily. Now - when working with demons in this regard, I have found myself less trusting of their exercises, though I will try them out for a while to see what the effect is. At any rate, does anybody else do this? If so - would anybody be willing to compare notes? Examine the exercises, share them, critique them, hone them, and organize them?”
~ Full thread here.

✧ “For my black mirror, I actually took the time-consuming and tedious method of crushing up amethyst, quartz, obsidian, angelite, and a few other piezoelectric and etheric crystals into a fine powder. Heh - and maaaan, quartz and amethyst are TOUGH to break - so it took a long time. When they do break, they come off in extremely sharp glass-like shards. So if anybody tries this, just know, you will get cut a few times in the process. Also, I assume no responsibility should anyone try this :slight_smile: heh. But finally, after I got the crystals into a decent powder, I mixed it with about 5ml of my own blood and some black paint.”
~ Full post here - scroll down about halfway as an old poll comes up first.

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“The foundation of morality should not be made dependent on myth nor tied to any authority lest doubt about the myth or about the legitimacy of the authority imperil the foundation of sound judgement and action.”
~ Albert Einstein

♚ Kudos this week to Claidheam for some great ideas that are on the wishlist, and also for proposing that there might be a theme cropping up - don’t we all just love “coincidences”? :slight_smile:

♚ And also to Arcane, taokua, Bran, and everyone else who’s made a suggestion and comment so far - really appreciate it, thank you!!

Did you enjoy this post? Do you want to help me keep it running? Comments below, and please PM me direct with any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

☩ Thank You! ☩

1 Like

Whow the time and computer AI stuff is what i often times think about… But is the Artificial Intelligence same as human intelligence? does it in any sense make these machines “beings” that actually understand their existence in the way human does at all? They wouldn’t have any feelings would they? they would just still do what they are programmed to? hmm…

This is an awesome thread! Well done :slight_smile:

Thank you folks! :slight_smile:

Love this. I always come across interesting items and now I know what to do with them. Thanks for your inventiveness!!!

This is a great idea! Besides having some interesting information, this also bring a new level of community interaction. Hope to see more of this. :slight_smile:

I don’t know where to put this,but it’s fucking amazing…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNqp4CgTWEg

Nicely done!

Reminder!

This week’s Monday Post is running a few hours late due to this weekend + Monday being a civic holiday in the UK, and your editrix Lady Eva having unexpected time off with her very own blue-eyed & TDH Living God, so if you want to nominate a member’s success story from the past month for inclusion here, or anything else, - please do PM me in the next few hours!

:heart:

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Aloha, and welcome to the third edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

This week’s Post is specially dedicated to any forum members in Hawaii and American Samoa, where it’s still just about Monday, due to the miracle of world time zones! :o)

☩ News & Articles ☩

Want To Enjoy The Deep, Mystical Sleep Of Our Ancestors? Turn Your Lights Off At Dusk

"What if you could meditate like a Tibetan lama with no instruction whatsoever — and without having to subscribe to any religious beliefs?

People hear a question like that and, unless they are particularly gullible, they assume they’re about to be scammed. But in this case there is nothing to buy — no tapes, no app, no religious agenda that gets sprung on you at the last moment when you’re feeling vulnerable and spiritually open. No hidden fees.

But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a catch. You have to be willing to revert to a Paleolithic pattern of sleep — and that means turning off your electric lights at dusk and leaving them off until dawn. Do that, and in about three week’s time, beginning around six hours after sunset each evening, you will find yourself experiencing a period of serene wakefulness that was once a nightly meditation retreat for all Homo sapiens on Earth. It’s a guarantee. It’s encoded in your genes."
~ Source: washingtonpost.com

“Eternal Flames” Of Ancient Times Could Spark Interest Of Modern Geologists

"Seeps from which gas and oil escape were formative to many ancient cultures and societies. They gave rise to legends surrounding the Delphi Oracle, Chimaera fires and “eternal flames” that were central to ancient religious practices – from Indonesia and Iran to Italy and Azerbaijan.

… Gas-oil seeps have been the source of mythological tales, and many a Biblical and historic event. The observations of ancient naturalists and historians such as Pliny the Elder, who lived two millennia ago, helped to chronicle many of these occurrences, especially in the Mediterranean area. For example, he wrote about Chimaera, a large burning gas seep in modern day Turkey… In ancient times, the temple of Hephaestus, the Greek god of fire, was built next to it.

Similar “eternal fires” integrated gas and flame emissions into ancient religious practices in many cultures. For instance, the Zoroastrians worshiped the “Pillars of Fire” near modern Baku in Azerbaijan. In Iraq, the Baba Gurgur seep was probably the “burning fiery furnace” into which King Nebuchadnezzar cast the Jews. A legend of ancient Rome reports a stream of crude oil issuing from the ground around 38 BC."
~ Source: heritagedaily.com

New Archeological Discovery Suggests Our Ancestors Evolved Far Earlier Than Previously Thought

"These oldest tools from Lomekwi shed light on an unexpected and previously unknown period of hominin behavior and can tell us a lot about cognitive development in our ancestors that we can’t understand from fossils alone.

… The Lomekwi 3 discovery raises many new challenging questions for paleoanthropologists. For one, what could have caused hominins to start knapping tools at such an early date?"
~ Source: qz.com

The Psychological Case Against Casual Fridays

"A recent paper in Social Psychological and Personality Science argues in favor of dressing up, finding that when people felt more formally dressed as compared to their surrounding peers, they tended to think more creatively.

The psychological meaning of clothing is something academics have been curious about for more than a century, particularly the influential Harvard psychologist William James, who believed the clothes you wear ranked just under your physical body, but above your immediate family, in contributing to your understanding of who you are."
~ Source: nymag.com

The Strange and Mysterious History of the Ouija Board

"In February, 1891, the first few advertisements started appearing in papers: “Ouija, the Wonderful Talking Board,” boomed a Pittsburgh toy and novelty shop, describing a magical device that answered questions “about the past, present and future with marvelous accuracy” and promised “never-failing amusement and recreation for all the classes,” a link “between the known and unknown, the material and immaterial.” Another advertisement in a New York newspaper declared it “interesting and mysterious” and testified, “as sProven at Patent Office before it was allowed. Price, $1.50.”

… Though truth in advertising is hard to come by, especially in products from the 19th century, the Ouija board was “interesting and mysterious”; it actually had been “proven” to work at the Patent Office before its patent was allowed to proceed; and today, even psychologists believe that it may offer a link between the known and the unknown."
~ Source: smithsonianmag.com

The 1,500-Year-Old Recipe That Shows How Romans Invented The Beef Burger

"Rightly or wrongly, the Romans have been credited with bringing many things to Britain, from roads and pavements to heated baths and indoor plumbing. But a new discovery is giving them credit for a quintessentially American invention: the beef burger.

A recipe from the ancient Roman cookbook, Apicius, written by an unknown author during the late 4th or 5th centuries AD, details a dish called ‘Isicia Omentata’ made of minced meat, pepper, wine, pine nuts and a rich fish-based sauce (Garum), all formed into a patty.

… It has long been known that the Romans brought ‘fast food joints’ - or thermopolia as they called them - to Britain. In large towns people wanted access to quick food during their lunch break and vendors selling chicken legs, lamb chops and shellfish became commonplace. "
~ Source: culture24.org.uk

Did Dark Matter Kill The Dinosaurs?

"In 1980, Walter Alvarez and his group at the University of California, Berkeley, discovered a thin layer of clay in the geologic record, which contained an anomalous amount of the rare element iridium. They proposed that the iridium-rich layer was evidence of a massive comet hitting the Earth 66 million years ago, at the time of the extinction of the dinosaurs.

… Subsequent studies, determined from the record of more than 150 impact craters on the Earth, found evidence for other mass extinctions in the geologic past, which seem to have happened at the same time as pulses of impacts. These coincidences occurred about once every 30 million years. Why do these extinctions and impacts happen with an underlying cycle? The answer may lie in our position in the Milky Way Galaxy.

… Recognition of this 30 million year Galactic cycle is the key to understanding why extinctions happen on a regular schedule, but it may also explain other geologic phenomena as well. In further studies, it was found that a number of geological events, including pulses of volcanic eruptions, mountain building, magnetic field reversals, climate and major changes in sea level, show a similar 30 million year cycle. Could this also be related to the way our Solar System travels through the Galaxy?

A possible cause of the geological activity may be interactions of the Earth with dark matter in the Galaxy."
~ Source: blog.oup.com

52 Factorial

" They seem harmless enough, 52 thin slices of laminated cardboard with colorful designs printed on their sides. Yet, as another illustration of the mantra that complexity begins from the most simple systems, the number of variations that these 52 cards can produce is virtually endless. The richness of most playing card games owes itself to this fact.

… Start with all the cards in one pile. Randomly select one of the 52 cards to be in position 1. Next, randomly select one of the remaining 51 cards for position 2, then one of the remaining 50 for position 3, and so on. Hence, the total number of ways you could arrange the cards is 52 * 51 * 50 * … * 3 * 2 * 1, or 52!. Here’s what that looks like:

80658175170943878571660636856403766975289505440883277824000000000000 "
~ Source: czep.net

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Ba’el ☩

This week Arcane wants to say a big Thank You to Ba’el!

“Baell – Their first and principall king (which is of the power of the east) is called Baell who when he is conjured up, appeareth with three heads; the first, like a tode; the second, like a man; the third, like a cat. He speaketh with a hoarse voice, he maketh a man go invisible (and wise), he hath under his obedience and rule sixtie and six legions of divels.”
~ Pseudomonarchia daemonum – Johann Wier (1583)

Sigils for him vary - this one resembles a little dancing figure:

Others look somehow more scientific, like 1950’s illustrations of mighty atomic power:

Want to nominate a lesser-known spirit (god, demon, angel, nature spirit etc) for Spirit Of The Week? PM me with a brief description of your experience with them - if you want include a piece of art you drew to represent the spirit, or your own version of their sigil, that would be great!

☩ Member Success Stories Needed! ☩

✧ Don’t forget to PM me with any member success stories that have inspired you recently. :slight_smile:

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes in the past week! :slight_smile:

☩ In The Skies ☩

There’s a Full Moon on Tuesday 2nd June at 16:19 UTC, apparently traditionally known as the Strawberry Moon (Beard 1918) since it coincides with these ripening in the northern hemisphere.

Full moon over Santorini : By Klearchos Kapoutsis, via Wikimedia Commons

✧ Solstice Countdown: Sunday, 21 June 2015, 16:39 UTC - just 26 days to go. Do you have plans yet? :sunny:

☩ From The Archives ☩

✧ This week, in a thread from 2012, Hrajnoha asks how to combat the problem of occult “burnout” - members including GOZER, DK The Mage & -TWF- all reply: full thread here.

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“It was that sort of sleep in which you wake every hour and think to yourself that you have not been sleeping at all; you can remember dreams that are like reflections, daytime thinking slightly warped.”
~ Kim Stanley Robinson, Icehenge

♚ Kudos this week to Claidheam for the article about the eternal flames and other support and ideas!

♚ And also to Arcane for proposing Ba’el as Spirit Of The Week, and everyone else who’s made a suggestion and comment so far - thanks a million, and please keep them coming!!

Did you enjoy this post? Do you want to help me keep it running? I can’t do this alone! :wink:

Comments below, and please PM me direct with any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

☩ Thank You! ☩

☩ The Monday Post ☩

Welcome to the 4th edition of The Monday Post, my unofficial fun weekly roundup of news & articles from the web, member’s success stories, celestial events, and other forum- & magick-related news and information!

We’re starting off this week with something for those of us who have spirit lovers (or spouses), a growing theme on the forums lately… :heart:

☩ News & Articles ☩

Israeli Archaeologists Find 5,000-Year-Old Seal Impression With Musical Scene

"Israel Antiquities Authority archaeologists excavating at the archaeological site of the Bet Ha-‘Emeq have unearthed a fragment of an Early Bronze Age storage vessel with a rare cylinder seal impression depicting a ‘sacred marriage’ between a king and a goddess.

‘It seems that the rare seal impression, which appeared on a fragment of a large storage vessel (pithos), sheds light on the symbolic-ritualistic world of the Early Bronze Age inhabitants in Israel,’ said team members Dr Yitzhak Paz, Dr Ianir Milevski and Nimrod Getzov.

‘The importance of the scene lies in the possible symbolic context, it being part of a complex ritual known in Mesopotamia as the sacred marriage.’"
~ Source: sci-news.com

Image credit: jinterwas, flikr.com

How I Learned To Fall Asleep In Under 1 Minute

"Do you know the feeling of being put under by anesthesia, where you are conscious, and the next thing you remember is waking up? That’s what this is like for me: As soon as I start the practice, the next thing I remember, I’m waking up in the morning and can’t even remember beginning the 4-7-8 count the night before. Crazy.

… By extending your inhale to a count of four, you are forcing yourself to take in more oxygen, allowing the oxygen to affect your bloodstream by holding your breath for seven seconds, and then emitting carbon dioxide from your lungs by exhaling steadily for eight seconds. The technique will effectively slow your heart rate and increase oxygen in your bloodstream, and may even make you feel slightly lightheaded which contributes to the mild sedative-like effect. It will instantly relax your heart, mind, and overall central nervous system because you are controlling the breath versus continuing to breathe short, shallow gasps of air."
~ Source: byrdie.com

How To Live As Good As A Billionaire

"You can pay almost any price for any thing, but after a certain price point you are no longer paying for quality, you are paying for prestige.

… It’s All Entirely Within Your Reach.

The way you dress, the way you eat and drink… even the home you live in… can be as good as any billionaire’s. Spend time shopping. Buy very selectively. Limit your possessions. And take a half-hour a day to really appreciate the good things you have. That’s all there is to it. (Oh, yes. And don’t scrimp on the mattress.)"
~ Source: earlytorise.com

Intelligent Life: Why Don’t We Consider Plants To Be Smart?

"In an early Star Trek episode, the Enterprise is boarded by human-like aliens, with lives lived so fast that the crew can’t see them. For their part, the aliens see Captain Kirk and his crew as near-static beings whose every action seems to take an age to complete.

Now think about how we view plants. With their slow-lane responsiveness, they could be ticking the boxes for behavioural brightness but they seem too slow, and too different, to register as intelligent.

… Clearly, we will never play chess with a rose, nor ask the orchid on our windowsill for advice. But that is the point: humans are guilty of serious parochialism, of defining intelligence in terms of a nervous system and muscle-based speed that enables things to be done fast…"
~ Source: newscientist.com

How An American NGO Worker Became An In-Demand Shaman In Cambodia

"When praying mantis aliens tell you to quit your job and become a soothsayer, sometimes you follow their orders. At least that’s what one woman here in Phnom Penh did earlier this year. Eileen, who declined to give her full name in case her mom found out about her drastic career change, was working in international development in Cambodia but now sits in a colorful stall in one of Phnom Penh’s teeming markets. Her fortune-telling services have proven popular with locals who have dubbed her “Kru Khmer Barang”—the Western shaman.

Eileen sits in the traditional cross-legged posture of a sage in the hive-like market. It’s dimly lit and hot. Light gets in through a hole in the ceiling. The horns of a hundred motorbikes filter in from outside. She flaps a plastic fan, checks her phone and arranges her tarot cards in an esoteric pattern. The acrid smell of dye and varnish leaks across from neighboring salon stalls.

‘The Cambodians are excited to get their fortune told by a foreigner,’ Eileen says. ‘They are similar to westerners because they see foreign mystics as having access to exotic knowledge.’ Eileen, 28, a graduate of West Virginia University who has lived in Cambodia for five years, speaks the local Khmer language and charges the equivalent of $2.50 for a reading."
~ Source: gawker.com

Ten Techniques For Building Quick Rapport With Anyone

" Warning – the content in this post is so effective that I encourage you to think carefully how it is used. I do not endorse or condone the use of these skills in malicious or deceptive ways

I’m not quite sure how I came across Robin Dreeke’s It’s Not All About Me: Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport With Anyone but I’m glad I did.

Robin is the lead instructor at the FBI’s Counterintelligence Training Center in all behavioral and interpersonal skills training.

And he wrote an awesome book on how to master the skills of communication.

His process not only includes research into social and evolutionary psychology, but it’s been honed from years of field experience."
~ Source: farnamstreetblog.com

Month In Space: These Pictures Will Put You In Orbit … And Beyond

Image credit: NASA / JPL-Caltech / MSSS / Texas A&M

“5. NASA’s Curiosity rover captured this view of a Martian sunset at Gale Crater on April 15. The picture was released on May 8. This was the first sunset observed in color by Curiosity. The image comes from the left-eye camera of the rover’s Mast Camera (Mastcam). The color has been calibrated and white-balanced to remove camera artifacts. Sunsets on Mars are blue because of the way light is scattered by dust in the thin Martian atmosphere.”
~ Source: nbcnews.com

☩ Member Successes ☩

I skimmed some recent posts and it seems that congratulations are due to, among many others:

RavensAscent, for a recent awakening and enhanced abilities;

chef1964, for a good outcome after working with Belial;

doestheblackmoonHowl, for exam-day success with Namru.

And big congratulations of course to ALL forum members who’ve had successes, but haven’t shared them publicly!

Gratuitous hunky demon credit: “The Demon” by Haqinius, deviantart

☩ Spirit Of The Week : Mercury Dolius, God Of Welfare, Pensions, Insurance ☩

Dolius is an epithet of the god Mercury: “The surname Dolius would seem to be associated with the dolium, a large earthenware vessel for storing foodstuffs such as oil and grain, from which is derived the modern English word ‘dole’ or state handout, in Roman times paid in grain.” ~ Source: roman-britain.org

Roman dolia, by AlMare, via Wikimedia Commons.

“By the time of the Empire (Rome was first a Kingdom, then a Republic, then an Empire), the number receiving this corn dole was set at around 200,000.” ~ Source: pass-the-garum.blogspot.co.uk

Mercury Dolius is the only spirit I’m aware of who may be petitioned when needing help with unemployment benefits (private or state-run), other welfare or disability payments, unearned money of any kind, and also money from any other system whereby people pool resources to pay out in times of need, such as pensions and private healthcare, insurance, or charitable hand-outs.

Also attributed as a god of trade and even fraud, he’s said to have a square face with a beard and hat (1), and to wear a purse around his neck (2), from which he dispensed his largesse.

A most unusual god of the underdog!

☩ In The Skies ☩

We have a Full Moon on June 2nd at 16:19 UTC.

Saturday the 6th sees Venus at the greatest eastern elongation - meaning the planet will be at its highest point above the horizon after sunset, and therefore easiest to view.

More info, and illustrations of where to look, here.

☩ From The Archives ☩

This week we have a magnificent Treatise On The LBRP (Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram) by forum member Virdon Djinn:

✧ "Below is a collection of notes I have compiled and arranged from my study and practice of Tiberius James’ method of the QC and the LBRP. Jimmy was gracious enough to give me permission to share his personal amalgamation of this ritual on this forum. Hope you enjoy!

… Firstly, as EA says, banishing does not remove the energies around you, but it removes you from their observance. In theory, this is a good way of looking at banishing. In practise, it’s the opposite." ~ Full treatise online here.

☩ Quote Of The Week ☩

“It is impossible to begin to learn that which one thinks one already knows.”
~ Epictetus

Did you enjoy this post? Want to see more next week? Comments below, or PM me direct! :slight_smile:

♚ Kudos this week to Claidheam for immense support and behind-the-scenes encouragement, and to everyone else who’s made a suggestion and comment so far - thanks a million, and please keep them coming!!

And as ever, please don’t forget to PM me any and all submissions for news in the fields of neuroscience, theoretical physics, archeology, anything else that’s relevant to magick (please no political/conspiracist links) - and also, your nominated member’s successes from the past few weeks, and anything else you think fits in here - payment will be one (1) unit of Monday Post Kudos*, and your name in satanically black pixels on the screen! :slight_smile:

☩ Thank You! ☩

1 Like

Excellent job with this weekly post, very quality work and appreciate your efforts. I’ve run my own forum for a long time and know what a lot of work something like this can be. It’s obviously a labor of love for you because you don’t just sloppily throw this stuff out there but keep a consistent, orderly, and creative quality to it. A couple of topic links you provided this week that I find interesting and useful I’ve bookmarked to peruse more in depth later. Hopefully others reading who enjoy this will comment on it. The comments of appreciation help keep the motivational factor up once the novelty wears off and it sometimes feels like a drudgery to have to do. I hope that doesn’t become the case as I do quite like this weekly column.

Thank you so much! Yes, it is a labour of love, I feel like there’s a lot of stuff out there in the mainstream that’s of direct use to us, and that this might be a fun way to share it, without spamming the General forums with a thread for each, or whatever.

I gain from doing it too, as it gives me weekly motivation to go looking for cool stuff - that 4-7-8 breathing is probably the most useful thing I found in ages, and I got it directly as a result of looking for content for this week’s Monday Post. :slight_smile: