The Magus

“They are without fears and without desires, dominated by no falsehood, sharing no error, loving without illusion, suffering without impatience, reposing in the quietude of eternal thought… a Magus cannot be ignorant, for magic implies superiority, mastership, majority, and majority signifies emancipation by knowledge. The Magus welcomes pleasure, accepts wealth, deserves honour, but is never the slave of one of them; he knows how to be poor, to abstain, and to suffer; he endures oblivion willingly because he is lord of his own happiness, and expects or fears nothing from the caprice of fortune. He can love without being beloved; he can create imperishable treasures, and exalt himself above the level of honours or the prizes of the lottery. He possesses that which he seeks, namely, profound peace. He regrets nothing which must end, but remembers with satisfaction that he has met with good in all. His hope is a certitude, for he knows that good is eternal and evil transitory. He enjoys solitude, but does not fly the society of man; he is a child with children, joyous with the young, staid with the old, patient with the foolish, happy with the wise. He smiles with all who smile, and mourns with all who weep; applauding strength, he is yet indulgent to weakness; offending no one, he has himself no need to pardon, for he never thinks himself offended; he pities those who misconceive him, and seeks an opportunity to serve them; by the force of kindness only does he avenge himself on the ungrateful”

How well does this description fit you?

All good but the pity part. A magus doesn’t feel sorry for anyone. Pity for others is actually self pity, and the only reason you feel it is because you can imagine their circumstances happening to you.

With no self pity, the magus is ruthless.

[quote=“The Cusp, post:2, topic:7608”]All good but the pity part. A magus doesn’t feel sorry for anyone. Pity for others is actually self pity, and the only reason you feel it is because you can imagine their circumstances happening to you.

With no self pity, the magus is ruthless.[/quote]

I can’t say I completely agree with you on that, Cusp. Pitying someone dose not always mean you pity yourself. It can show empathy, and that can be a very powerful tool. Anyway, that is just my opinion.

Compassion might be a better word then pity?

The description, is pure, but it does not fit me, i had a terrible past and also embraced it as fuel for the darkness inside me to swell like invisible flames over my body like some kind of cloak. Rutheless i am, merciless only during conflict and forgiving, never was.

Some words, fit with me, but with the small explanation i gave, i mean not everything complies to me, only a few words but that is about it.

So i do not know if you consider that magus material.

I like it except this part:

he pities those who misconceive him, and seeks an opportunity to serve them; by the force of kindness only does he avenge himself on the ungrateful"

I see a list of qualities as vague as those of an average newspaper horoscope: “Today, you’ll realise that even though you don’t always live up to your potential, you still have a lot to offer, when you take time to centre yourself and speak from the heart. Don’t let the fact you sometimes fail to meet your own high standards, get in the way of doing your best. Although you’re often misunderstood, the lessons of the past will show the way to success with today’s challenges. Stay open to the inner voice of intuition: temper it with common sense, and an awareness that people are not always on your own unique wavelength.”

JMO but it really is kind of like that, “The Magus welcomes pleasure, accepts wealth, deserves honour, but is never the slave of one of them; he knows how to be poor, to abstain, and to suffer; he endures oblivion willingly because he is lord of his own happiness, and expects or fears nothing from the caprice of fortune”

In other words, anyone at all, and I wonder why it leaves out that the Magus shouldn’t just be accepting this stuff, as it happens, but calmly and seriously co-creating his/her own reality?

It’s somehow too preachy for me, too redolent of the white light world (“reposing in the quietude of eternal thought”), soz. :slight_smile: