The LaVeyan Satanists

So I was reading Anton Szandor LaVey’s pdfs like The Satanic Bible and others and I saw that he supports Satan. I am not a Satanist though,I simply follow the Left Hand Path and other magical paths. But I noticed that he too worships Satan. So i want to know why you Theistic Satanists hate him and his religion.

NO OFFENCE

@Lord_Raven Okay. Not a Theistic Satanist myself, but I seem to be the sort of person you are speaking about. My problem with him is based on three things: 1) The Church of Satan claims that Satan is not real. 2) The Church of Satan lacks any real magickal power (and would admit it themselves) 3) The very doctrine that the Church of Satan propagates is the sort of ego driven nonsense that creates “weekend Satanists” and not true sorcerers.

4 Likes

Just read this page. Essentially supports all the points I just made
http://www.churchofsatan.com/faq-fundamental-beliefs.php

2 Likes

Urgh, that site was annoying to read.

1 Like

I read a little part of the satanic bible and it talks about selling your soul to satan, satanic rituals and other look alike stuffs.

@Lord_Raven Read the website.

1 Like

@TheStorm

Just read this page. Essentially supports all the points I just made
http://www.churchofsatan.com/faq-fundamental-beliefs.php

Okay

1 Like

Oh. I see it now. He strongly preaches against believing in Satan or any other entity as a god.

2 Likes

Not exactly. For LaVey the word Satan is not denoting a being, it is denoting a concept. In LaVeyan Satanism not only do they not worship Satan as a god, but they do not actually believe it is an entity at all. For them, Satan is a concept representative of the cosmic rebel, and the goal of LaVey was to embody this concept (for profit). So, when he says he worships Satan he is essentially saying he worships himself.

1 Like

He didn’t worship Satan, even on his deathbed. LaVeyan Satanists are atheists who use Satan as a symbol for something. Usually themselves.

I claimed a LaVeyan Satanist until I got my hands on Choas magic so if you want to ask questions about thiestic or spiritual vs. LaVeyan or atheistic Satanism, feel free to ask.

2 Likes

:ok_hand: :+1:

Okay. So anytime they are doing their rituals which spiritual force helps them make it come to pass

1 Like

Aspects of atheistic magick. That, and whatever forces may entertain themselves at their whim, as always.

1 Like

In LaVeyan Satanism, rituals are seen as purely psychodrama. They are used to syphon strong feelings out of a person so they can live a life without needing to control their emotions. Most will say that there’s not really anything metaphysical about it.

3 Likes

Which raises an interesting debate; does every kind of magick need a metaphysical aspect to be considered magick? Since we, as humans, cannot even completely understand why gravity works, is that not something metaphysical? So how is effective use or release of emotions (psychodrama, in example) that produces a verifiable effect on the person’s life not a kind of magick? I would say it is, and a type of atheistic magick at that. Many Satanists I have spoken to do not receive this idea well.

1 Like

Lavey was a jewish athiest and laveyan satanism in my view is dramatic atheism.

Some guy once said to be rich; make your own religion haha lavey loved that shiiit :wink:

1 Like

@Woodsman81 Some people think that just being alive and conscious is in itself a magical act so I think you’re on to something. I certainly don’t always do magic by summoning an entity or “supernatural” force and a lot of what I formulate about magic is inspired by psychological and scientific knowledge.

Both on topic and in relevance to what you said, LaVey’s definition of magic certainly doesn’t contain a metaphysical element, just what it’s supposed to do;

“The change in situations or events in accordance with one’s will, which would, using normally accepted methods, be unchangeable.” The Satanic Bible, The Book of Belial, Page 110

2 Likes

That’s how I feel too. If you take Crowley’s definition at face value the act of cooking or going to the bathroom is magick.

2 Likes

Okay. Thanks everybody