The Kybalion

So, this book has been debunked for me by members of the Golden Dawn. The three initiates were William Walker Atkinson and his buddies. That being said, Atkinson and his friends were occult practitioners. So some of what is in the book is based on real shit.

Only it seems at best to be very basic, simple stuff.

Like polarity. Polarity is a real deal. Things have opposites, pairs or opposites have pairs of opposites. Electrons have neutrons and so on.

In the same way vibration is a thing too. In recent science itbhas been shown that solid matter is an electromagnetic field. The same FIELD that psychic vampires draw from. The same FIELD that chi masters use to burn down their enemies houses with fireballs. So… Yeah…

Then there is gender that can be arguably the same thing as polarity. Opposites… Or course it could also be argued that there are places and dimensions ones gender is as unique as their finger prints.

What basic principles have become staples in your practice and from where have you drawn and what has been the strongest source of power for you?

Interesting thread. However, I’m confused by this:

If I read this correctly, your friends in the Order of the Golden Dawn debunked the Kybalion for you - but your post lists how the content inside the book is actually true, however basic? What part of the book was debunked, just the true identity of the writers? I read about that too. I don’t know why he chose to make it sound like the book came from writings of ancient authors.

I’m currently reading the Kybalion. It’s hard for me to absorb the message through the wordiness of the old-fashioned writing style, so it’s taking a while. I may be better off if I can find an interpretation out there that is modernized while keeping intact the timelessness of the message.

Tough call for now. I apply what I’ve comprehended, and I’ll get back to you.

Electrons have protons,yes.

And matter has antimatter.And matter and antimatter both have similar qualities,don’t they?If only you swap the electron with a positron and whatever the negative proton is called.

So thesis and antithesis are identical in nature,but opposite in degree.Of the axioms presented for the Principle of Polarity,that one is IMO,the most true one.

When it comes to the Principle of Gender,in my opinion,it is not tied into Polarity.My reasoning behind this is that first,when a man and a woman come into contact,even at a most intimate level,they are complementary,and certainly won’t blow each other up.

Mixing light with darkness gets you poorly lit darkness,or slightly dark light.Mixing fire with water gets you embers and steam.So you can see that these things aren’t complementary.In fact,they reverse the other one’s qualities.

When matter and antimatter come into contact,that happens.When positrons and electrons come into contact,that happens.When -3 and 3 come into contact,that happens.

So the fact that the two genders are complementary is why I assume it is a seperate principle on its own.

That said,I do stand by the Kybalion,and its laws.I incorporate most of them,into my practices somehow.

Isn’t Kybalion based off of the Corpus Hermeticum?

I’m not gonna pretend to be some expert on Hermiticism,and the Golden Dawn,but as far as I know the answer is a resounding no.

I’m curious to know what you mean by this as well, specifically whether you mean disproven, by sufficient evidence given that rendered it invalid, and if so, I wonder if they proved that through repeat practice?

I ask because this book explained and codified for me 99% of the UPG I’d ever received at the time I discovered it, and every time I run my workings through its principles, they come out stronger and more effective, whereas when I ignore one of them, later I can usually find the reason something didn’t work, outlined in the very same book.

So I’m curious to know what they did that debunked it, but we might not be talking about the same concept. :slight_smile:

I’m curious to know what you mean by this as well, specifically whether you mean disproven, by sufficient evidence given that rendered it invalid, and if so, I wonder if they proved that through repeat practice?

I ask because this book explained and codified for me 99% of the UPG I’d ever received at the time I discovered it, and every time I run my workings through its principles, they come out stronger and more effective, whereas when I ignore one of them, later I can usually find the reason something didn’t work, outlined in the very same book.

So I’m curious to know what they did that debunked it, but we might not be talking about the same concept. :)[/quote]

That is a good question. I’ve had two people within the Golden Dawn tell me that it was either complete bullshit, or that it was a watered down version of Hermetic philosophy, but I have considered whether or not their words were a misdirection. In occultism, everything is hidden so I take careful consideration into a lot of things.

I never completely agreed with the right hand path philosophy of the Golden Dawn so I never really dug too deep. Given the nature of the book and the nature of their order, I have no reason not to believe what they say… The problem is that I read the Kybalion, and the emerald tablets of Thoth, and parts of them actually worked and are visible in my life… So I guess it comes down to this: I can’t say definitely what is going on. I learn that lesson more than any other.

[quote=“Salpinx, post:2, topic:6166”]Interesting thread. However, I’m confused by this:

If I read this correctly, your friends in the Order of the Golden Dawn debunked the Kybalion for you - but your post lists how the content inside the book is actually true, however basic? What part of the book was debunked, just the true identity of the writers? I read about that too. I don’t know why he chose to make it sound like the book came from writings of ancient authors.

I’m currently reading the Kybalion. It’s hard for me to absorb the message through the wordiness of the old-fashioned writing style, so it’s taking a while. I may be better off if I can find an interpretation out there that is modernized while keeping intact the timelessness of the message.

Tough call for now. I apply what I’ve comprehended, and I’ll get back to you.[/quote]

This has also occurred to me:

Anything Hermetic is secret and sealed. They are very clear on that. Anything surrounding Thoth is like that and perhaps they were denying its principles to protect it from being used. I am still trying to figure that one out. It seems like the Lovecraftian mythos and grimoires. Is it real, is it fiction is it both? Of so how and why?

Interesting, thanks - I think the Kyb. is about the most useful tool I’ve found in magick, and I’ve not yet heard any criticisms that held up to scrutiny, because most stem from a misunderstanding of what it’s saying. I’d think of something more useful to add, but I’m all forummed out for the day, soz! :slight_smile:

-chuckles-

The Golden Yawn? They’re still around? How quaint!

[quote=“Creed, post:10, topic:6166”]-chuckles-

The Golden Yawn? They’re still around? How quaint![/quote]

Yeah. I don’t really care for the super Jesus mentality, but the Golden Dawn does have magick that works. I like magick that works. They actually gave me some great protection spells, a good money spell and when I’m ready I even have one to attract my soul mate. That one really set me free. I can just conjure true love if I get lonely… Which somehow makes me not so lonely. I haven’t used it yet. I think I just like having it. Kind of a security blanket for the heart.

[quote=“Rygill-85, post:11, topic:6166”][quote=“Creed, post:10, topic:6166”]-chuckles-

Yeah. I don’t really care for the super Jesus mentality, but the Golden Dawn does have magick that works. I like magick that works. They actually gave me some great protection spells, a good money spell and when I’m ready I even have one to attract my soul mate. That one really set me free. I can just conjure true love if I get lonely… Which somehow makes me not so lonely. I haven’t used it yet. I think I just like having it. Kind of a security blanket for the heart.[/quote]

I don’t even know where to begin with this. For one, sitting on a spell isn’t a security blanket. It’s proof that either you don’t truly want what it can manifest (something I doubt, since it sounds like you truly do desire it), or it means you’re too much a coward to manifest what you truly do desire.

Two, of course Hermetic magick works. I didn’t say anything about Hermetic magick. I mocked the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Because I regard them as pretentious, arrogant children who, by and large, couldn’t manifest a $10 bill with two fives in their hand.

[quote=“Creed, post:12, topic:6166”][quote=“Rygill-85, post:11, topic:6166”][quote=“Creed, post:10, topic:6166”]-chuckles-

Yeah. I don’t really care for the super Jesus mentality, but the Golden Dawn does have magick that works. I like magick that works. They actually gave me some great protection spells, a good money spell and when I’m ready I even have one to attract my soul mate. That one really set me free. I can just conjure true love if I get lonely… Which somehow makes me not so lonely. I haven’t used it yet. I think I just like having it. Kind of a security blanket for the heart.[/quote]

I don’t even know where to begin with this. For one, sitting on a spell isn’t a security blanket. It’s proof that either you don’t truly want what it can manifest (something I doubt, since it sounds like you truly do desire it), or it means you’re too much a coward to manifest what you truly do desire.

Two, of course Hermetic magick works. I didn’t say anything about Hermetic magick. I mocked the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Because I regard them as pretentious, arrogant children who, by and large, couldn’t manifest a $10 bill with two fives in their hand.[/quote]

Well it sounds like you enjoy analysis. Great, well you caught me. No, I don’t want it yet.

You seem frustrated. I don’t know much about the Golden Dawn. I do know that Crowley left the order. Apparently he found their order immature and childish.

Roots for some of what’s implied in The Kybalion date back to the Greek magickal papyri: http://hermetic.com/pgm/self-identify.html

Egyptians had only to affirm a state of being through speech to create the sought reality. "Repeated commands or assertions that a desired state of affairs was already in being, are a common feature of Egyptian spells."

This concept has made it down intact, from the PGM, through The Kybalion (Laws of Mentalism & Vibration), through New Thought, Science of Mind, LoA and now Afformations, the latter 4 of which use spoken affirmations (phrased in the present tense, and then as questions, for Afformations) to create changes in reality.

How cool is that? :slight_smile:

And how freakin’ cool that someone’s created a new spin on it., that bypasses our skepticism that we really are “Fabulous, powerful and rich” (or whatever we wish to affirm) by phrasing it as a question?

Things like this prove to me that the concepts outlined in The Kyb. are as valid and powerful today as they ever were, back into their origins in the ancient world, and that they are deceptively simple doesn’t make them any less useful.

The Kybalion is a an expose on the Seven Hermetic Principles. Anyone who tells you it is wrong need to get back to the basics. It is a beautiful expose on the fundamentals of Hermeticism.