The Forbidden Square (Abramelin)

So - the forbidden square … The one he says to never use. I think it’s perfectly safe to post it so long as nobody gets stupid and charges it :slight_smile:

A B C D E

First question about this square is, why was it included if he felt so strongly against using it that he didn’t even explain what it does. All that is said about it is “This symbol should never be made use of”? To simply be aware of it? Like, I walk outside and find a square hiding under a rock in the front yard - and I instantly know it’s no bueno. So I immediately start up defenses. For some reason that doesn’t like a sound enough reason for inclusion.

Second question. (in Seinfeld’s voice) What DoEoEoooeEEooos it DO?!
Has anybody made any attempt to find out exactly what this square does? If so, would you be so kind as to enlighten us? :slight_smile: If not, are there any entities in particular to whom this query might be posted and correctly answered?

I can’t lie. This has me so curious.

And I can’t help but think that it’s a suicide square, and in some odd and darkly humorous way, he got a bit of a kick out of including it.

1 Like

That was my thought too. lol It’ll be interesting to see if anyone has information!

DK here is what the notes in that chapter say about it.
CASED, Hebrew (if used in a bad sense) = “overflowing of unrestrained lust”.
AZOTE, Hebrew “enduring”.
BOROS, = Greek = "Devouring, gluttonous."
ETOSA, = Greek = “idle, useless”.
DEBAC, = Hebrew = “to overtake and stick close.”

[quote=“Reaper, post:3, topic:292”]DK here is what the notes in that chapter say about it.
DEBAC, = Hebrew = “to overtake and stick close.”[/quote]

Well! This brings to mind a thought…

Perhaps Abramelin was simply warning “Do Not Combine These Words” or something to that effect - like “all body, no mind” … the constant, insatiable appetites controlling One that in effect renders them useless …

Even Dionysus did a little thinking from time to time! :wink: Z

1 Like

[quote=“Zoe, post:4, topic:292”][quote=“Reaper, post:3, topic:292”]DK here is what the notes in that chapter say about it.
DEBAC, = Hebrew = “to overtake and stick close.”[/quote]

Well! This brings to mind a thought…

Perhaps Abramelin was simply warning “Do Not Combine These Words” or something to that effect - like “all body, no mind” … the constant, insatiable appetites controlling One that in effect renders them useless …

Even Dionysus did a little thinking from time to time! :wink: Z[/quote]

Zoe that was my thought exactly.

I thought it was obvious that this square was for causing death. … Those words sound like cancer to me. An affliction that overtakes the person and slowly incapacitates and devours them steadily over time.
Of course, I just assumed that was what it meant because of the squares it was next to.

Charge it and give it to someone.

@ DK: Yep, pretty much! :wink: Z

I didn’t think of it as literal cancer. More like the spiritual, total-person equivalent.

ah - then yes :slight_smile: heh
Still - I think, with the right intention put into it - it could very well fit physical cancer.
Which brings that particular point up. Since the square for gold seems to bring about money in general and not gold in specific, I’m going to say it’s a definite part of using squares. I’m not extremely knowledgeable with squares, but I have noticed that you can bend and twist them with intent. Perhaps you could very easily sway this square to cause physical cancer.

2 Likes

I agree - I think the squares are quite maleable. And, not having huge experience with them yet, the ones I have actually worked with, well, WORKED! :wink: Z

It might be difficult charging a sigil without having an actual goal envisioned, and even if that goal is to let the square affect an arbitrary target you wouldn’t know what to visualize.

I agree! A goal is a must! But I think you can envision enjoying or appreciating a satisfying end result and all the parties involved in making that result happen would be known by your Nonphysical Assistants. (Did that make sense?) :wink: Z

1 Like