The Fool

Inspired by another thread in this sub-forum, I tried “opening” The Fool as you would open a sigil. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it didn’t happen, lol. All I got last night, was a grey mist (I get it while opening sigils sometimes) and my eyes refusing to stay unfocused.

However, this morning I had some thoughts occur to me. Here they are:

I keep feeling the word “surrender” pop into my mind. Not surrender in the way we normally use it, i.e., to give in/up to a stronger opponent. Rather, more the way one surrenders to the touch of a lover, or the love of their child. It’s willingly giving in to something higher, something more wondrous, mysterious, beautiful. I see this in the Fool either walking towards, or poised at the edge of, the cliff. He’s surrendering to an unknown filled with promise, and some uncertainty.

The dog at his heels is less clear to me. I see it either as the ego (or friends, family, religion) warning him of certain danger, or as the “inner self” encouraging him to take that leap of faith and be rewarded.

The bag on the end of his staff (intellect) contains only those few things he needs: imagination, intuition, will, etc. IOW, the mental things required for working magick.

To summarize, it’s the beginning of the magickal path, as well as the points along the path where one needs to walk off the cliff again to progress further. We need to surrender to the unknown in order to make it known, and we must do this freely and willingly, despite any warnings from our ego or those around us. In a nut shell, I would say we must surrender everything we think we are, to find who we truly are.

There are other thoughts and feelings I’m having, but I know I can’t put them in words, so I’ll not even try. I’m sure most everyone here understands how that works :slight_smile:

1 Like

Looking forward to hearing more! Just drop off the edge of the cliff and feel the knowledge of weightlessness!

[quote=“chef1964, post:1, topic:5393”]Inspired by another thread in this sub-forum, I tried “opening” The Fool,I don’t know what I was expecting, but it didn’t happen, lol. All I got last night, was a grey mist (I get it while opening sigils sometimes) and my eyes refusing to stay unfocused.

However, this morning I had some thoughts occur to me. Here they are:

I keep feeling the word “surrender” pop into my mind. Not surrender in the way we normally use it, i.e., to give in/up to a stronger opponent. Rather, more the way one surrenders to the touch of a lover, or the love of their child. It’s willingly giving in to something higher, something more wondrous, mysterious, beautiful. I see this in the Fool either walking towards, or poised at the edge of, the cliff. He’s surrendering to an unknown filled with promise, and some uncertainty.[/quote]

Interesting! In the " Night-Sun Tarot" their Fools card comes with this question that you can ask yourself or your querent, it says “What must I free myself of while traveling along my path so I can channel my energies more effectively”.

That kinda sums it up. The whole “surrender” thing can’t happen without giving up your fear, preconceived notions, limiting thought patterns, etc. I’m still struggling with all of that, lol.