The Crone

My ancestors,are Slavic.My heritage draws me towards our Slavic mythology,and as a child I remember being told stories about the Babaroga,a monstrous woman,almost always used to prove a point that adults are nice.

In one particular instance,a 4 year old me spent the night at a train station with my uncle who worked there,and his friends had told me stories about some sort of apparation that would come for me.

I remember clearly,that I was thoroughly scared at first.The thought of someone eating children,was horrifying.

By the end of the night,though,curiosity had gotten the better of me,and I was calling out for her to show herself,and tell me who she is,and such.

LAter on,I grew to read all those fairytales,like the Boy and Girl and the cat,not to mention,Vasilisa the Beautiful,although,I am still highly interested in working with her.

The Bony-Legged Witch,that is.Baba Yaga,her name.

HAs anyone ever tried to call on her,or travel to her chicken leg house?

The Crone is a mountain ash standing on a hill,
Beside her stands a wolf drinking from a rill.

The Crone stands crooked naked and cold,
The wolf howls at the moon, because its bold.

You might enjoy reading…

“The Necromancers House” by Christopher Buehlman.

Russian Magick and history is an important recurring issue in the book. As I read the story it became very apparent to me that the author had done a great deal of occult and folklore research, which certainly reflected in his tale. Baba-Yaga is a central character that does not disappoint the reader. Some conceits and plot points in the story were far flung, the ending was less than I cared for, but it is a worthy and solid work of fiction nonetheless.

Based on your interest and family history in the subject, I think you would enjoy and in some ways relate to the book… a great deal.

[quote=“RL, post:3, topic:5291”]You might enjoy reading…

“The Necromancers House” by Christopher Buehlman.

Russian Magick and history is an important recurring issue in the book. As I read the story it became very apparent to me that the author had done a great deal of occult and folklore research, which certainly reflected in his tale. Baba-Yaga is a central character that does not disappoint the reader. Some conceits and plot points in the story were far flung, the ending was less than I cared for, but it is a worthy and solid work of fiction nonetheless.

Based on your interest and family history in the subject, I think you would enjoy and in some ways relate to the book… a great deal.[/quote]

That’s actually a pretty good idea,I am going to have to check it out.It does seem like an interesting book.

Baba Yaga will indubitably answer my call when I summon her…I do indeed want to be ready for my grandmother.

You know,if my grandmother were a scary old witch spirit flying on a magic pestle devouring people…but you know what I meant.