Thanksgiving awkwardness

Who here is having (or had) an awkward thanksgiving?

We don’t celebrate it here so I can’t relate to thanksgiving …But why has it been awkward for you? Sometimes times it’s just good to unpick why…

Basically every thanksgiving has been awkward for me unless I was on vacation, lol. I do not like the whole “pretending to be all close with my family when I’m not” thing.

2 Likes

It could be worse, in my country there is a month in which city people pretend to be peasants who like folkloric stuff, and by the end of the month it suddenly stops and everybody forgets about it and it’s imposible to find folkloric stuff anywhere.

2 Likes

I recently stopped pretending, I’m infinitely happier because of it.

1 Like

Never had it, since my grandma passed people have their own respective thanksgivings at their own homes.

It wasn’t awkward but during prayer I was gonna say hail satan

1 Like

I’m having a pretty good Thanksgiving, seeing family etc…My stomach feels off and I think depression is coming back but that isn’t because of the Holiday.

I miss my family Thanksgivings. I’m in Canada, so ours is in October, rather than November, but I remember them fondly. Being full of turkey with stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie for dessert, and having beer with my dad, even though I wasn’t old enough.

I miss my mom and dad most when the holidays come around. They both have passed now, and living so far away from the rest of my family, I don’t get to indulge in such feasts any longer.

3 Likes

This makes me really sad

Ehhhh… at my place, Thanksgiving is just having a short dinner and then going about our day.

1 Like

This is me with extended family.

2 Likes

It was always awkward for me when I was younger (most of my relatives are/were loud, crass, and obnoxious). But now it’s immediate family only. No drama, we cook whatever we want (none of us like turkey), and we’d all rather watch Die Hard than football.

Poor jim carrey, an enlightened man portrayed as insane by the media

1 Like

I worked this year but I can relate. My family is catholic so that gets added into every holiday dinner as well as the fam I don’t like or click with. I usually try working the holidays.

The most enlightened enjoy being insane

1 Like

I think Jim Carrey may, in fact, be hypersane.

1 Like

I’m working on stopping pretending too but it’s a bad habit. I wish I’d stop caring what people thought!

1 Like

…that does sound worse :grimacing:

Im a buddhist so we dont have one