Tetragrammaton and inverted pentagram

Hi!
I’ve seen a pendant with an inverted pentagram surrounded by the word “Tetragrammaton”.
I know what Tetragrammaton is, but what does it means in this case?
Outer God in chains?
Is it possible to use it in Satanic Rituals?

Thanks

3 Likes

The Tetragrammaton is simply what they call the God Name YHWH.

I have seen various sigils that also use the term instead of the Name, and, in my opinion, the only possible reason to actually inscribe the word “Tetragrammaton” is because someone somewhere believed that actually inscribing YHWH would be dangerous (the Name does contain power and is considered sacred in Hebrew mysticism). It doesn’t mean anything other than acting as a place holder for the God Name.

Edit to add: Yes, you can use the God Name in satanic rituals.

4 Likes

@DarkestKnight I have seen Tetragrammaton more used as reference to the 72 letter name of God which is an expansion and breakdown of the possible manifestations and powers of the shorter YHWH key far as I understand it. These manifestations would be through the Schem-Ham-Phoras but their balancing side you could see as being the 72 Goetic spirits so it could be reference specifically to those spirits and powers broken down rather than the angelic side. So it could be for style of it seeming better than the four letter key or it could be specifically a reference to the component powers and spirits that the four letter key can be used to control and by control I mean the forces and powers at their base and not so much the spirits themselves. Though one that has enough experience in the key would probably automatically have control over the spirits as they become someone that they really want on their side and willing to deal with them for the benefit they can gain.
I suppose it largely depends on how you use it and how far into the possible applications of such words of power you wish to go though.

3 Likes

Interesting. I only know the term as a replacement for YHWH because it was thought that writing the actual Hebrew God Name was dangerous. Nothing I’ve read has said otherwise, but I also haven’t gone very deeply into true Kabbalah, only skimmed the Golden Dawn stuff so you could very well be correct.

2 Likes

I think the taboo against writing the name of god was originally less a religious thing and more a practical thing that applied to magicians due to it being a very effective word of power that could connect and influence so many forces depending on its use. They wanted it used only when necessary and not frivolously as obviously that can make issues if someone who knew how to use the word used it in the wrong fashion and the religious side took its own spin on that.

Nowadays we have gun control but back then they had word of power control or something like that. Magicians back then were of a much higher caliber because it was also kind of their official jobs and they could devote most their time for their entire lives practicing this stuff so a mishap could be a bit more explosive than most might experience until a few decades with our rate of having to do more mundane things than pure magick. That is the reasoning I see behind it.

2 Likes

You could use the Name יהוה (EE-AH-OH-EH) in a ritual with Shahtan, but generally speaking I would use a “darker” Name like Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh for such magick. When you invoke the Tetragrammaton, you are asking for access to the All-encompassing power of the Divine. This style of empowerment goes well with angel magick, which typically works by tapping into this supreme Divine energy that radiates through us all. We are all fundamentally connected, and this Name is a reminder of that.

According to my experiences/gnosis, a Name like Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh (אֶהְיֶה אֲשֶׁר אֶהְיֶה) works more by asserting your own innate Divine power. Instead of channeling the energy present in all things, across all worlds, you generate your own energy as an independent Divine being. This works well with demonic magick, which is more about self-empowerment and the assertion of one’s separate Will, one’s own Godhood and authority over their world. Other Names useful in demonic work are El, Elohim, and Adonai.

Again, either should technically work, but you may find that different Names work better for different styles of magick and with different types of beings.

5 Likes

Sharing my own 2 cents on the 72 Letter Name, I see them as different manifestations of the overarching power of יהוה (EE-AH-OH-EH), which technically contains all the power of everything. Because of this, however, tapping into יהוה (EE-AH-OH-EH) by itself does not focus the power very well, thus the 72 Letter Name.

To my understanding, the 72 Names emanate from the Divine, the 72 Shem angels emanate from the Names, and the 72 Goetic demons emanate from the 72 angels. This is why the same psalm used to call a particular Shem angel can also be used to call its corresponding Goetic demon. It does work better if you replace the יהוה (EE-AH-OH-EH) in the psalm with אֲדֹנֵי (ADD-OH-NIGH) as well.

What I find somewhat puzzling is the connection between some of the Goetic demons and the demons of Lucifer’s Legion, as revealed in Lucifer and the Hidden Demons. Many of the demons I have not seen outside of this list, but some of the names are similar to the Goetia. Belial, for instance, is listed as a King of Lucifer’s Legion, while in the Goetia he is the demonic counterpart to the angel Chavuel. Azazel is also said to be connected to Lucifer and potentially Paimon, if I recall correctly, though Azazel is not present in the above book. Given that it all works I have my own theories, but I thought I’d leave this here as something to ponder.

2 Likes

Everything is always changing so it would make sense that they would evolve as perceptions and forces around them evolve from the different work done and manifestations made. When creation changes that indicates the forces behind it have also changed even if it is just reordering their normal stations. There is also the chance that a particular book is wrong in some aspect the information either fully made up as a bluff or just misinterpreted so exploring on your own should be considered as well. For instance my experience with Paimon indicates that he is slowly separating from the demonic hierarchies and becoming more akin to an elemental being than the types of spirits commonly seen as angels or demons. I would have to spend more time than I can now to look into it fully but a few recent things from others seem to point in that direction as well even if he doesn’t openly say it yet.

2 Likes