Technical advise - People who are posting Youtube videos, streaming, audio

Good afternoon everyone,

I have plans to record some music vids on youtube (acoustic guitar and singing). It’s a combination with music and vids. I want to do this all with a spiritual goal too. Post knowledge. Get in frequency with music etc…

Now before I pay a lot for a webcam and get disappointed with the audio/microphone . Maybe some youtubers around here have experience with a good working device with good sound options.

Thanks for the tips

5 Likes

Hmn, while you’re waiting, maybe do a working to attract the perfect set up for the perfect price for you, and also ensure you don’t get any equipment with manufacturing defects.

7 Likes

Thank you. Doin that! I believe in searching (setting intend) to find something. Just found one with a nice price and good audio.
But if people here have tips, just let me know. I’m not in a hurry

5 Likes

I would say concentrate on the audio devices first.

Presumably your phone can already record video so for now decide on a budget for recording good quality audio.
Because if you want good quality audio there is quite a bit more to it than just pressing the record button.

Have a look at the Condenser type of microphones, you want studio quality and consider your frequency range (do you sing high, mid or low) while looking at/studying each microphone’s specification sheet don’t just buy a pretty little mic, they are all different and all will capture sounds differently.

You can pick up a mic for anything between say 20 US $ to more than $30000 !!
The price is there for a reason and it pays to learn a little bit about what you want to use.
A microphone stand is extra but you will come to want one.

You think magick is a black art? Well audio recording is it’s equal :rofl:

When you have found a mic that fits your budget, unless it plugs straight into your computer you might also need (for the condenser type) a preamp to power the mic…

Hint - microphones pick up all sorts of noises as well as what you want to record.

By the way, what are you going to record your songs/audio into? A stand alone recording device or a computer with software?

When you do get to doing some recording, experiment with mic positions (you might want to record vocals separately from guitar) also, you might want to experiment with sound treatment in the room by draping some soft furnishings behind and or around you to stop sound from bouncing off of hard surfaces.

3 Likes

Please tune to 440 Hz so we can all enjoy it on a spiritual / energy level. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @CovertCreator

I have mic already. I had a troublesome neighbor where i previous lived. So i’ve bought a measure condensator mic. Never used it. I have moved on. So good idea.

It’s going to be recording software on my laptop. Tips are welcome

2 Likes

Hey you are welcome :slightly_smiling_face:
Audio recording is a fascinating subject and is probably much more technical than building and flying a spaceship.
When you start using audio software you will see what I mean.

The best resource for learning and independent reviews of equipment that I can recommend is a British magazine based publication called Sound On Sound.

If you are recording into your computer then you will be looking for a type of software called a “DAW” (digital audio workstation). There are lots of different DAWs and some offer free trial versions.
Search the Sound on Sound website for “DAWs” and be prepared to be amazed.

The measurement condenser mic you mentioned, @Borgy, would be more for measuring the frequency response of a room and for setting Eq levels, ‘tuning’ the room in preparation for recording or performance.

One important thing with condenser mics though is be very careful with how you handle them, they are delicate and highly accurate devices. No mic drops allowed with those lol.

2 Likes

Sorry, but that link is commercial and violates the rules so I have removed it.

2 Likes

Ok thank you. Noted, I wasn’t sure so it was worth asking :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

No worries, my friend. It is always worth asking. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hey @CovertCreator I see. See the reviews too. Depends on the measure mic. and the brand. I have to test it. But i have enough info. Thank you very much.

2 Likes

Reaper DAW is amazing and not very expensive. It technically can be used forever free of charge, but the license expects that you will pay for it after the trial period. Very advanced and used in a lot of professional products from hit music to blockbuster movies.

A quick google search will return it as the top result. I would link it for you, but rules are rules.

3 Likes

Yes Borgy, it does depend on the mic so fingers crossed the one you already have suits your requirements :slightly_smiling_face:
In a way, any mic is capable of capturing sounds and worth using and if the one you have turns out to not suit your needs then at least you have learned something and also have something to trade for another.

There is a chance of being led down the wrong road looking for software especially if you want to mix audio and video in your projects. Software can get expensive, some is is better for audio and some have no means of working with video files.
Pro Tools (Mac & PC) and LogicPro (Mac only) are still the choice of music production pro’s and have been since forever, their editing and processing abilities are amazing. Both of these have some capability with video. People who are more into video editing than music will likely use other specific video production software that have some audio editing features thrown in.

Before you jump in and buy software, check the system requirements to see if your device or computer will handle the processing.

3 Likes

I suggest using open-source software as much as possible. It is free (as in free beer) and if you want more features, you can get access to the source code, make changes and compile the program yourself. Or contact the programmers who maintain the software and let them update it.

Graphics:
GIMP (picture editor)
paint.net (picture editor)
Inkscape (vector graphics)
Krita (digital painting)
Scribus (desktop publishing)
LibreOffice Draw (desktop publishing)

Sound:
Ardour (digital audio recording)
Audacity (audio editing)
LMMS (music production)
Mixxx (DJ, music mixing)

DAW:
Zrythm (DAW)

Video:
OpenShot (video editor)
Kdenlive (video editor)
Shotcut (video editor)
OBS (live editing, recording, and streaming)

6 Likes

Hey,

I admire what you’re doing! I’ve got a couple of starter recommendations.

For around $100 the AT2020 USB mic is awesome. It sounds much better than a mic should at that price.

Blue makes incredible expensive mics, but their affordable USB mics don’t sound as good at this one. They mostly look pretty. Which can actually be good for YouTube, really, since it’s visual — but keep in mind you’ll need to EQ the signal quite a bit to match the 2020.

For about $300, you can get something special. An Antelope Audio Axino Synergy Core All-in-One mic with a DSP built in.

It’s a modeling mic, so it can sound like much more expensive, famous mics. It will even run a few effects for you (in the mic itself!) with low latency. Those effects are also designed to emulate famous, very expensive physical audio gear.

I would recommending YouTubing for reviews of both of these. They’re quite solid.

The modeling mics, in particular, really excite me… but if you think that’s too much to think about, stick with simple. You just gotta get your feet wet. Actually do the thing, then later on you’ll hunger for upgrades.

2 Likes

The most expensive Logitech webcams look pretty good. A few years ago, I helped a couple people start with those.

They’re not 100% ideal, but I’d rather see people use one and actually make content, than to get lost in research or fiddling with gear and never make anything. They’re certainly simple as heck to set up. They’re cheap and look a lot better than you’d think. A good place to get dip your toe.

Above that, you mostly got real Sony and Canon cameras.

Canon cameras tend to have a softer look with more pleasing colors out of the box. Just a bit easier to use. The new ones have dual pixel autofocus, which is quite fast.

If you’re a little banged up looking lol, then Canon is certainly faster to just shoot with and upload. Rapid content creation. They’re famous for the “Canon look” which is kind of gentle. Viewers tend to like photos and videos with that look.

Sony is better if you want to really mess with the signal and everything. Extremely sharp. They have phase autofocus, which is also quite fast. You often have to do a little more post work with Sony, so keep that in mind.

I used to be one of the few Sony fans, but it seems Sony has almost taken over imaging. You’ll trip over Sony constantly now when researching.

Canon has now added more Sony like features with time, as they finally see them as a player.

Then if you’re deadset on overcomplicating things, you can livestream with expensive Red cams, all kinds of things. Lol.

No camera really has mics worth using.

OH, except for one…

If you want an all-in-one that does audio OK (oddly usable) and video strangely well (due to computational photography tricks), consider a Pro iPhone. They’re one of the fastest content creation devices out there. Apparently they even work with OBS now for live-streaming.

3 Likes

@BAGARRIN Thank you for this tip!

3 Likes

@CyberLord Thank you for this information. This thread is very useful.
I know audacity.

2 Likes

I just saw them on my work. And they got great reviews. Thanks!
And thanks for the rest of the tips. Very nice to have your reply here.

2 Likes

Thanks for this!

2 Likes