Tarot or playing cards---which do you prefer?

I just bought a new deck of playing cards today. Ive been reading cards for a few years but it was from an old deck that belonged to my dad ever since he was a kid. Ive never done divination with tarot before, but i want to learn it someday. Which way of divination do you prefer? What are any pros and cons to both, if any?

I prefer oracle which is like a free-form deck. It follows no traditional order (like tarot or playing cards) and is unique to each deck. I do have a friend who swears by reading with playing cards though.

2 Likes

Cool XD ive also considered creating my own oracle cards before

1 Like

Tarot…I’m sync with mine

1 Like

Yes/ no questions playing cards. Everything else tarot.

2 Likes

It all depends on your preferences, the best you can do is to try both :man_shrugging:
Personally, I prefer the tarot, it gives much more information and different interpretations. However, a beginner has difficulty understanding all the symbols of the tarot at first.
I know that my grandfather is very good with normal playing card, he has been do reading with the same “deck” for about ten years… or even more :thinking:
Oracles are more delicate because they are purely imaginative creations. Where all tarots have a common base despite the different designs and typographies they may have.
When it comes to creating your own oracle, there is nothing more powerful if you want to do divination, but it’s a huge effort, both in time and money (for printing, contacting a printer, layout, etc.).
@Angelb1083 Can I know how you can respond to a Yes/No question with playing card ? :thinking:

2 Likes

Use black for yes and red for no. Then the suit and number of the card have their own meanings like a tarot deck.

2 Likes

Playing cards don’t fancy my visual aesthetics so I prefer tarot and oracle decks that compliment my visual tastes.

3 Likes

I can read with any of the three forms of cartomancy. I don’t have a major preference tbh.

1 Like

Why not both? :woman_shrugging: I read all 3 but I’m more connected with my Oracle deck (HAL.G. made from a Greek spiritualist and distributed only in Greece) which I use for 18 years now.

1 Like

Or… you could play games with tarot cards o.o In the first season of the “Kakegurui” anime, there is a betting game that uses the major arcana. In the anime it was played with regular mathematics, but I think it would be explosive if it was played with standard gematria

1 Like

I can use all three (playing, Oracle and tarot) for readings. I just stick to tarot out of personal preference as I enjoy the visuals.

1 Like

Originally Tarot cards were for gaming, like the regular playing cards. Ive realized how similar both card types are. Even though they have total differences in looks the symbolism stays kinda the same such as how the jack of spades is the equivalent to the Devil in tarot.

1 Like

That is one paradigm, for my system I favor the view that Master Therion had on the subject, which is that tarot is a representation of the Holy Qabalah

1 Like

I don’t have a tarot deck so I don’t do tarot but I really like playing cards, I use them for Cartomancy and generating the four mothers for Geomancy. It can be very powerful when Cartomancy and Geomancy are used together. So if you don’t like divining with playing cards then then you can use them for Geomancy instead.

2 Likes