Suicide

What happens if you kill yourself?

3 Likes

You go to Disneyland and meet your Satanic Family.

11 Likes

You die.

Beyond that, it’s up to you. There are far too many different stories of the After to make a single answer.

3 Likes

If this is more than a theoretical question and you’re having thoughts of hurting yourself, it is important that you discuss them with someone who is qualified to help, such as a crisis helpline in your country. Please visit this link to find the appropriate number:

If you feel that you may be an immediate danger to yourself, please call your local emergency number or go to your local hospital emergency room right away. If you are unsure of the right number to call, please visit this link and call the number next to the country where you are located:

This forum cannot assist you if you feel this way, so please seek help from a medical professional if that’s where you’re at right now.

Here are some additional contacts:

US: 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)

US LGBTQ Youth (the Trevor Project): 1-866-488-7386

US Veterans Crisis Line: 1-800-273-8255 (press 1)

Canada: 1-800-784-2433

International: Befrienders Worldwide http://www.befrienders.org/

Australia: 13-11-14 (lifeline) or 1-800-55-1800 (kids help line for 5-25 yrs old)

UK Samaritans: 116 123 (UK) & 116 123 (ROI) free of charge, or e-mail: [email protected]

Almost every country has a similar crisis line and people who are waiting to hear you out, and help as much as possible.

This is also very thought-provoking, especially for anyone dealing with shame over feeling, or having felt, that their life had become unliveable: http://www.metanoia.org/suicide/2

13 Likes

Thank you for that response. Suicide can loom so large and debilitating.

2 Likes

My heart goes out to anyone dealing with this, I’ve had some very bleak times myself.

There’s also a Reddit group that offers non-judgemental peer support for anyone having thoughts of harming themselves, it looks pretty decent:

6 Likes

This might be of use in helping to answer that question, if true then i suspect people who kill themselves in despair don’t have a particularly fun experience, but who can really say.

8 Likes

Thanks, Eva. That said, Supernatural may just be curious or interested in knowing what may happen to the souls of those who committed suicide.

As you wrote, it may just be a theoretical question. Many people of different religions, belief systems have asked it. In Roman Catholicism, for instance, the act of suicide may damn one’s soul for all eternity, and they’d physically and emotionally suffer a whole lot more! Many other Christian denominations also believe that.

From what I know, Islam also does teach that: "Narrated Abu Huraira: The Prophet said, “He who commits suicide by throttling shall keep on throttling himself in the Hell Fire (forever) and he who commits suicide by stabbing himself shall keep on stabbing himself in the Hell-Fire. — Sahih al-Bukhari, 2:23:446”

Nevertheless, the militant (radical Islamist) groups that carry out “martyrdom operations” believe that their actions fulfill the obligation of jihad, and some clerics support this view under certain circumstances. Similarly, a non-negligible minority of Muslims in Muslim-majority countries also express support for suicidal martyrdom to varying degrees.

In Hinduism, suicide is spiritually unacceptable. Generally, committing suicide is considered a violation of the code of ahimsa (non-violence) and therefore equally sinful as murdering another. Some scriptures state that to die by suicide (and any type of violent death) results in becoming a ghost, wandering earth until the time one would have otherwise died, had one not committed suicide. However, suicide in India is tolerated by Brahman priests.

The Mahabharata talks of suicide stating those who commit it can never attain to regions (of heaven) that are blessed.
Hinduism accepts a man’s right to end one’s life through the non-violent practice of fasting to death, termed Prayopavesa. But Prayopavesa is strictly restricted to old age yogis who have no desire or ambition left, and no responsibilities remaining in this life. Another example is dying in a battle to save one’s honor.

In Wicca as well as numerous other Neopagan religions, there is no general consensus concerning suicide. Some view suicide as a violation of the sanctity of life, and a violation of the most fundamental of Wiccan laws, the Wiccan Rede. However, as Wicca teaches a belief in Reincarnation instead of permanent rewards or punishments, many believe that suicides are reborn (like every one else) to endure the same circumstances in each subsequent lifetime until the capacity to cope with the circumstance develops.
More info: Religious views on suicide - Wikipedia

When it comes to the beliefs of black magicians, sorcerers, Theistic Satanists, Atheistic Satanists, Luciferians and so on…I’d say the word is to truly honour and sanctify one’s life, live life to the fullest and seek self-development, self-aggrandizement, even godhood (during one’s lifetime).

And just like in Wicca, one is encouraged to be bold, face adversity and come out of it stronger, wiser. To kill oneself defeats all that and is seen as self-destruction, the biggest of regressions.

From a spiritual viewpoint, I see suicide as a step backwards, and yeah, I believe there might be negative spiritual consequences, even bad karma or unrest. After all, we were all born on this Earth for as reason.

5 Likes

You should only kill yourself to prevent the enemy from capturing you.

10 Likes

And even then, there may be tricks to counteract that!

On the twelfth day of the ninth month, two days later, Hei no Sae-mon and a group of roughly over 100 warriors rushed to Nichiren’s dwelling at Matsuba-gayatsu and arrested him. Around midnight, Nichiren was taken by Hei no Saemon’s men to the execution grounds on the desolate beach where criminals were executed called Tatsunokuchi, or Dragons Mouth. […]

Looking around at the soldiers and directly into Hei no Saemon’s eyes, he slowly knelt. “Nam-myohorenge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo, Nam-myoho-renge-kyo,” he intoned in a full, deep voice. He stretched his neck forth so the executioner would have a clear aim and said, “Go ahead, sir, I am ready to give my life for the Lotus Sutra!”

Then at the moment Nichiren was about to be beheaded and the axe man rose his axe, a luminous object (which historians believe to have been a large meteorite or comet fragment) shot across the sky. Nichiren later recounted in his letter to his followers:

“A brilliant orb as bright as the moon burst forth… shooting across the sky from southeast to northwest. It Tatsunokuchiwas shortly before dawn and still too dark to see anyone’s face, but the radiant object clearly illuminated everyone like bright moonlight. The executioner fell on his face, his eyes blinded. The soldiers were terrified and panic-stricken.”
_http://chadscottmusic.com/the-buddha-nichirens-last-words-when-being-beheaded/_

Nichiren Daishonin, a Buddhist monk, through a mystical chant, was saved from being beheaded. I’ve also read changing one’s aura to that of something scary like a dragon may also deter opponents. Others believe that strong vibration of love may also provide such protection.

3 Likes

Sure, suicide is generally considered bad, but look at it like this: we all gotta die sometime, why not go out on your own terms?

7 Likes

Because it pretty much never is, people never have a moment of feeling really happy and fulfilled, with lots of amazing stuff in their past, present, and future, and decide to kill themselves so they die on their own terms.

4 Likes

Well that’s just because people are boring fucks sometimes. I mean, nobody really plans for death, but would it be such a big deal if you included your death in your plans in life?

All I know is once I feel like I’m completely fulfilled and that there is nothing left for me on the material plane, I’ll probably end up taking the plunge and crossing over into the next life. Once you reach your peak, what can you do afterwards? I mean, sure you could live content that you achieved your grand goals, but after the contentment of reaching your limits starts to fade away as you start to head into your twilight years, what would you do then? Suicide is an answer.

1 Like

You proved my point, this is not on your own terms, it’s seeking a way out once life can’t deliver for you any more (a situation which no magician should face IMO, if we have the power and creativity not to).

I suspect you’re young, I spend time caring for a couple of elderly people and life is no less sweet just because of the passing of years. But when you’re very young, it seems like an alien state, one that’s easy to shrug off. Coincidental linkage:

2 Likes

It is on your own terms though. Instead of sticking around letting the ravages of time consume you, you’re choosing to leave in the manner by which you would prefer, instead of from sickness or age or any other method that can be either unpleasant or unwanted.

Personally, I’d like to put on a bit of a show with my death. Make a spectacle of it. But that’s just my thoughts on the matter.

1 Like

I kinda actually agree with @Anziel_Merkaba
Death is a part of life and it’s going to happen to everyone. No one gets out of life alive. My point for agreeing with him is why suicide is considered a bad thing. If someone is seriously suffering and nothing has helped, who are we to stop someone from their own suffering? Basically I tend to think that if someone is so miserable that they just can’t take it anymore, it’s actually selfish of us to want them to stay here with us instead of them putting an end to it. Of course, don’t get me wrong, trying to get help should obviously come first before such a step is taken!

And then that leads to the question of what happens to people who do go through with suicide. If there some hell fire and damnation waiting for them? I doubt it. Hypothetically speaking, if all the afterlife and whatnot is real, they may feel regret if they know how much friends and family miss them, but suffer for eternity? I find that very hard to believe.

5 Likes

In general noithing helped me with clinical depression and repeated suicidal “ideations” - until something DID help.

So that’s why I remain on Team Don’t-Do-It, I was told as a child when I was first diagnosed that depression like that would probably never be curable, merely manageable with meds (that have side effects) and talk therapy (which is usually delivered by someone several orders of magnitude battier than her clients) so I call the wisdom of even the most “scientific” dianoses into question… :thinking:

For some other situations, there could be a reason to end life, but I’m mindful that this forum is more likely to be perused by someone with depression, PTSD, bipolar, or in truly desperate living conditions, than an otherwise okay person who has a terminal physical illness.

3 Likes

The German philosopher Martin Heidegger might offer some insight into this issue. He (rightly) observed that one’s death is one’s own, inescapable and unshareable with others (non-relational). In the realization that one’s death is truly one’s own a person also becomes aware that one’s life is also one’s own. This realization (what he calls anticipatory resolution) is a moment of freedom and authenticity; the freedom and authenticity to live life on one’s own terms, not being swayed by “what they say”.

How does this add to the conversation? The left hand path is the path of radical freedom and radical individuality and as such, would find itself greatly sympathetic to Heidegger’s idea of anticipatory resolution. Your life is your own. Your death is your own. And if we are radically free, the dogma of “karma” can have no place. And if there is not Abrahamic god pulling the strings, then post mortem judgement ceases to be an issue as well. I have heard it said that what happens after we die is largely contingent upon what we believe. If this is so, because our beliefs are contingent and variable, it follows that any astral reality after death is also, contingent, variable and impermanent. Therefore, the afterlife, if any is also a matter of choice and subject to our radical freedom. Thus the left hand path would, while nodding to Heideggers “your death is your own, your life is your own” would also add “your after life is also your own”. And it is all within the realm of your choice; that is your radical freedom. But remember…radical freedom goes hand in hand with radical responsibility in that no one else can take responsibility for the choices you make.

Do not take the above as either approval for or disapproval of suicide; it is not intended as such. What is intended is an affirmation of one’s freedom to choose and also a warning that all choices chosen out of radical freedom go hand in hand with a radical responsibility for those choices; a responsibility that is also one’s own and can not be shared or deffered.

I hope that this has added constructively to the conversation.

8 Likes

There are of course situations and circumstances that would limit freedom; mental illness, substance abuse, learning difficulties, extreme and chronic pain, dementia. In these situations where the person has had his / her freedom stripped away, responsibility ceases to become an issue, but so to does the authenticity of any choices made under these circumstances.

2 Likes

Meh. I have never been one to settle for the consolation prize.

I actually hear you on this, but in my case I would make a show of my funeral/wake/memorial and just fuck with people. My closest friends who share my sick sense of humor can have a chuckle.

That truly is a subjective one. Why do some people die in agony with a smile on their face while others give up before the pain has even started? I support a person’s right to choose their own fate, but… I personally do not look at suicide as anything but an act of desperation from my own experiences. You would likely feel like a real fool if you were in end stage lung cancer, and as you’re taking your Dr. Kevorkian shot you hear a blip from the TV in the next bed talking about some crazy reversal for end stage lung cancer. I can just see it now: “New Robotussin Cough, Cold and Cancer…”

1 Like